Need some help diagnosing an issue

wasteomind

Gawd
I have an issue where if I move the power target slider, and only the power target slider on MSI afterburner, my pc will reboot while running Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark, and Fire Strike Extreme gpu test 1. My initial thought was the power supply isn't holding up. But I can run Cinebench R23 with the CPU hitting 210w at the same time as fire strike extreme running on stock gpu settings using 410-430 and not have a single issue.

Wouldn't/shouldn't the psu give out under those circumstances if it was the issue? It doesn't.

However, if I run just the gpu alone in fire strike extreme,unlink the power and temp target sliders, move only the power target up, guaranteed crash.

This is all on a brand new 4ish hour old fresh windows install with only windows updates, afterburner, the benchmarks mentioned, and the most recent nvidia drivers installed.

This all started when I installed the Asus bios update to enable ReBar on my Maximus XI hero wifi. Initially i thought it was the bios, so I rolled back. Issue persists. I thought it was my overclock, so I put everything back to bone stock failsafe defaults, only enabling what I needed to to boot into windows. Issue persists. I thought was my gpu bios, flashed multiple different ones, issue persists. Different gpu drivers. Issue persists.

So in the end, I'm wondering if the gpu pretty much just gave up. I have run this thing 100% fine since October when I got with the power slider maxed. Mild overclock on it. Not a single issue till I upgraded bios for rebar. I guess the question is, how do I proceed testing to be sure what my issue is?

I was having GPU lock ups yesterday after updating to the latest drivers, but make sure you don't have Geforce Experience enabled and the new performance settings enabled along with Msi Afterburner. I was having some issues but disabling Geforce Experience solved the issue.

I was having GPU lock ups yesterday after updating to the latest drivers, but make sure you don't have Geforce Experience enabled and the new performance settings enabled along with Msi Afterburner. I was having some issues but disabling Geforce Experience solved the issue.
What "new performance settings" do you mean?

What "new performance settings" do you mean?
might mean the performance optimizer thing. id run DDU then reload the last drivers without experience.
edit: have you tried a cmos clear since updating the bios?

Put a voltmeter on the 12V supply when this happens. If the 12V goes out even a bit and comes back on, the power supply tripped. Technically if the power supply trips, it should stay off, but some mother boards will tickle the P_ON of the supply and turn it back on and make it look like a reboot.

If the power supply trips, it could be bad or it could have multiple rails and the power supply is having an overcurrent trip event even if the power supply is technically rated sufficient for your video card.

If the power supply trips, you can monitor the power consumption with GPUz and see if it approaches the limit for the PCI slot and the PCIE power connectors. Bump the power up a little at a time and watch this during the benchmark.

If the power supply does not trip, then it should be a "genuine" reboot and you should see something in the windows event viewer beyond an unexpected shutdown.

My basis for this is something that happened to me with my system several months ago...

I've heard that Nvidia fibs a bit on power consumption (you didn't say what your video card is) . At 120% power target with 1070TI I was tripping my Delta 800W server supply with a single card in a particular game scenario. The kicker is I was able to run two 1070TI cards in the same scenario in SLI without tripping the supply. Each card was fed with an independent 18A rail. I was benchmarking single versus SLI when I ran into this. Both 1070TI cards acted exactly the same when I tested them single. Get to this particular point in the game and the PC would reboot. When I disconnected the P_ON from the motherboard, the PC didn't reboot, it just shut off. That same system in that same configuration could run Superposition, Valley, or Heaven for 24 hours without issue drawing lots of power, but something about that scene in that particular game spiked the power enough to trip my power supply.

All I ever saw in the event viewer was an "unexpected shutdown".

The bottom line is the card was trying to draw more than 150W from the 8 PCI power connector because it wasn't drawing full spec power from the PCI slot and the card was drawing more than 216W. 120% TDP of the 1070TI is 216W. When I rewired the 8 pin PCI power connector to draw from two 18A rails (36A), the reboot went away. The reboot would also go away with a single 18A rail if I backed off the power limit to 100%.

GPUz was handy to figure out what happened because it can monitor the power draw from the PCI slot and the PCI-E power connector. This is what I used to come to the idea in the previous paragraph. One weird thing is the card never came close to drawing 66W/75W from the PCIe connector itself, increasing the overload on the 8 pin power connector. Perhaps Nvidia didn't want to risk damaging motherboard slots.

My experience was with Pascal cards. I believe newer cards are harder on the power supply and likely pushing power specs. Instantaneous power consumption can spike quite highly above average and is highly dependent on the instantaneous rendering demand at the time. One of the reasons multi-rail power supplies have fallen out of favor is because they limit the current draw on things like the 6 pin and 8 pin PCIe power connectors to realistic limits. This causes "failures" when things like graphics cards pull more power than they are supposed to. Power supplies with a large 12V single rail don't have this issue - they also don't have overcurrent protection on the individual outputs.

What hardware are you running? Afaik Rebar only works on RTX30 series cards (you have a 20 series in your sig) and 10th gen intel CPU's (9th gen in your sig)

What hardware are you running? Afaik Rebar only works on RTX30 series cards (you have a 20 series in your sig) and 10th gen intel CPU's (9th gen in your sig)
Sig is updated sorry.
Asus Maximus Hero XI wifi / Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.1 / EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
16GB G.Skill 3200 cl14 / 2x Samsung NVME evo 970 1TB
Seasonic Prime 1000 Titanium SSR-1000TR 1000W 80+ Titanium

Asus recently released a Bios enabling ReBar on z390 platforms.

Back