Need opinions on motherboard for a 5900x

RJ_ds

n00b
I plan on picking up a 5900x pretty soon and am piecing the parts together. I have these motherboards in mind and would like to get some opinions. These seem to be the most popular with the highest ratings after doing a fairly quick search. If there are any others that can be considered, please post them here.

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-X57...0c733&pd_rd_wg=7go2u&pd_rd_i=B07SVRZGMX&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-Mot...4e20f&pd_rd_wg=bcJBp&pd_rd_i=B07SW8DQVL&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Gaming-C...11&rnid=2057414011&s=pc&sr=1-17&ts_id=1048424

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-X57...SUS&rnid=2528832011&s=pc&sr=1-2&ts_id=1048424

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i own both the asus boards you have listed both run great i have to say i enjoy the tuff board more its been stable as heck no issues at all it just works is best thing to say about it i had some issues with my strix i had to work thruough.

I have the Gigabyte X570 Master and it is built like a rock, I don't overclock but this board is totally set up for it with 14 phase VRM.

I picked up the X570 TUF board (non-wifi) for dirt cheap (40% off) from the Amazon Warehouse, and it has been surprisingly good for the money. Previously, I had used the CH8 (non-Dark Hero) and the Prime X570 Pro.

I picked up the X570 TUF board (non-wifi) for dirt cheap (40% off) from the Amazon Warehouse, and it has been surprisingly good for the money. Previously, I had used the CH8 (non-Dark Hero) and the Prime X570 Pro.
i was very suprised how well my tuff x570 has performed i like it better then my strix-e to be honest only thing i miss is not having bios flashback incase something happens.

I'm out of the loop a bit and am hearing that B550 are options as well as they are basically the 'same' but without features here and there. So what's the difference, are the B550's better or the x570's?

And I'm not really into OC'ing any more, just whatever will be the best board for the chip. Without WIFI preferred as I dont need or use it, but i'm discovering it hard to find a high end board without it. No worries if it has it or not. My present mobo has it and i've never used it.

X570 boards are the best technically and they have PCIe 4.0 lanes to the chipset, which gains you more nvme slots with higher speed and better IO connections.

Ok, I see, thanks. X570 it is

It really depends on what you're going to use. If you are only going to use one video card and one M.2 PCIe 4.0 drive, a b550 board is just as good. The chipset is also passively cooled.

Newer x570 "S" boards are passively cooled from what I have seen, but are somewhat more expensive due to being on higher end boards.

I have a b550 and x570 system and I don't notice a difference using them side by side as long as you stick within the limits I mentioned above.

funny thing some of those b550 boards cost more then the asus x570 tuff boards.

It really depends on what you're going to use. If you are only going to use one video card and one M.2 PCIe 4.0 drive, a b550 board is just as good. The chipset is also passively cooled.

Newer x570 "S" boards are passively cooled from what I have seen, but are somewhat more expensive due to being on higher end boards.

I have a b550 and x570 system and I don't notice a difference using them side by side as long as you stick within the limits I mentioned above.

One graphics card is all that will be used, but I do plan on using ay least 2 NVME. I have to do more research, I wasn't aware of the x570-S boards so I'll check them out

I just disabled the wifi on my boards but I have liked the built-in Bluetooth I send files or pics to my phone and tablet when I'm doing stuff.

One graphics card is all that will be used, but I do plan on using ay least 2 NVME. I have to do more research, I wasn't aware of the x570-S boards so I'll check them out

I mean as long as you don't need two of them at pcie 4.0 speed you should be fine with a b550.

I mean as long as you don't need two of them at pcie 4.0 speed you should be fine with a b550.
i wonder how much cheaper a mig to higher end b550 is compared to say a asus x570 tuff board that retails for around 160-200usd or other mid-high end x570.

i wonder how much cheaper a mig to higher end b550 is compared to say a asus x570 tuff board that retails for around 160-200usd or other mid-high end x570.

It really depends. It's usually in the same ballpark. That being said the x570 TUF is generally considered a lower end board even if it does perform very well for its price point.

I have the Asus Dark Hero paired with my 5900X as well as the Asus Crosshair Hero VIII with my 5800X.
Both boards have been great, although kinda pricey.

I've got a Strix B550-F driving my 5900X. Its a good board. It will do 2000 1:1 stable with my 5600X, 2100 for fun.

I'm seeing this one recommended a lot so far:

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-X570-AORUS-Fins-Array-Motherboard/dp/B07SSM6CLC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=6KJ7BW7OSG9U&dchild=1&keywords=x570+master+aorus&qid=1630100617&s=electronics&sprefix=x570+mas,electronics,149&sr=1-1&tag=hardfocom-20

Probably a bit overkill for me + the price is very expensive, but if its really good, then i'd definitely consider it....I dont need the high end audio on it (if it has it but for this price it should) as I'm using an EVGA Nu audio with Burson v5i OPAMP.

Thoughts on this board?
A lot of people seem to be using that board and the only real problem used to be a cold start issue which seems to have been fixed with a BIOS revision a while back. I'm using the Gigabye Aorus x570 Pro Wifi (only got the Wifi version because you couldn't find the non-wifi version anywhere) and have had no issues. I paid $270 for the Pro. The Ultra is almost the same as the Pro but has a third NVME slot while the Master sits above that one.

I don't think you would go wrong with any of those three. I wouldn't have minded having the Master but the price was quite a bit higher than I wanted to pay for a motherboard. For the most part the main differences between these three boards are features. I don't remember if the Master has a beefier VRM setup than the Pro and Ultra but even if it does it's not likely to make any difference as the Pro and Ultra VRM setups are quite good and will handle whatever CPU you throw at them. The onboard audio on the Master is probably a bit better than the Pro and Ultra but if you're not going to be using that it's not going to matter.

I would definitely recommend any of those three over the Aorus Elite, though. The Elite is definitely a budget x570 motherboard and the features and quality compared to the other three are definitely lesser such as a weaker VRM implementation. It's probably still one of the better boards in the price range for x570 but unless you're on a very strict and limited budget I'd go with something a bit better; especially for a 5900x.

The Asus x570 TUF boards fall into the same category as the Aorus Elite. I was looking at one due to some of the features it had but I didn't like some of the compromises made. For one it didn't have an integrated i/o plate and after not having to mess with one of those with my Asus b450-f Gaming board I swore off any board which didn't have integrated i/o plate. Another issue was the VRMs implementation was quite weak. I'm not looking to do serious overclocking or anything but I tend to use my hardware for quite a few years and having hot running VRMs, even if capable of handing the CPU, could cause component failure before I'm done using the motherboard. There were a couple other issues which made me avoid the board but I don't remember what they are now.

Choosing between b550 and x570 was easy for me. In the long term I preferred having the PCI-e 4 option and extra PCI-e lanes with x570. It doesn't hurt that a lot of the decent b550 boards are in the same price range as a lot of the decent x570 boards. Typically the featuresets such as LAN options will be newer on b550 boards which is one of the reasons for the high prices of what is supposed to be a budget/mainstream chipset. Those newer featuresets look nice but for the most part they wouldn't make a difference for me.

A lot of people seem to be using that board and the only real problem used to be a cold start issue which seems to have been fixed with a BIOS revision a while back. I'm using the Gigabye Aorus x570 Pro Wifi (only got the Wifi version because you couldn't find the non-wifi version anywhere) and have had no issues. I paid $270 for the Pro. The Ultra is almost the same as the Pro but has a third NVME slot while the Master sits above that one.

I don't think you would go wrong with any of those three. I wouldn't have minded having the Master but the price was quite a bit higher than I wanted to pay for a motherboard. For the most part the main differences between these three boards are features. I don't remember if the Master has a beefier VRM setup than the Pro and Ultra but even if it does it's not likely to make any difference as the Pro and Ultra VRM setups are quite good and will handle whatever CPU you throw at them. The onboard audio on the Master is probably a bit better than the Pro and Ultra but if you're not going to be using that it's not going to matter.

I would definitely recommend any of those three over the Aorus Elite, though. The Elite is definitely a budget x570 motherboard and the features and quality compared to the other three are definitely lesser such as a weaker VRM implementation. It's probably still one of the better boards in the price range for x570 but unless you're on a very strict and limited budget I'd go with something a bit better; especially for a 5900x.

The Asus x570 TUF boards fall into the same category as the Aorus Elite. I was looking at one due to some of the features it had but I didn't like some of the compromises made. For one it didn't have an integrated i/o plate and after not having to mess with one of those with my Asus b450-f Gaming board I swore off any board which didn't have integrated i/o plate. Another issue was the VRMs implementation was quite weak. I'm not looking to do serious overclocking or anything but I tend to use my hardware for quite a few years and having hot running VRMs, even if capable of handing the CPU, could cause component failure before I'm done using the motherboard. There were a couple other issues which made me avoid the board but I don't remember what they are now.

Choosing between b550 and x570 was easy for me. In the long term I preferred having the PCI-e 4 option and extra PCI-e lanes with x570. It doesn't hurt that a lot of the decent b550 boards are in the same price range as a lot of the decent x570 boards. Typically the featuresets such as LAN options will be newer on b550 boards which is one of the reasons for the high prices of what is supposed to be a budget/mainstream chipset. Those newer featuresets look nice but for the most part they wouldn't make a difference for me.
I'm looking at the board you have now. I originally saw the Ultra which I was going to look deeper into only to find out the pro wifi has the same back OI and audio is the same on the Pro as the Ultra + the same exact USB ports.

I'm looking at MSI boards also.

I wouldn't worry much about having a fan on the chipset. If there were major problems with them going bad there would be tons of posts about it on the forum. For the most part, the fan usually doesn't run until a temperature threshold is met. Except for bootup I don't think the fan on my board has ever turned on.

That said, one of these days I'll look up to see if the heatsink on the chipset uses paste or a thermal pad. If it's paste I'll probably pull the assembly off and repaste it with MX-4 that I have. Motherboard manufacturers have always been notorious for using shitty paste and horrible applications. I wouldn't be surprised if I could drop the temps a bit with a re-paste.

I wouldn't worry much about having a fan on the chipset. If there were major problems with them going bad there would be tons of posts about it on the forum. For the most part, the fan usually doesn't run until a temperature threshold is met. Except for bootup I don't think the fan on my board has ever turned on.

That said, one of these days I'll look up to see if the heatsink on the chipset uses paste or a thermal pad. If it's paste I'll probably pull the assembly off and repaste it with MX-4 that I have. Motherboard manufacturers have always been notorious for using shitty paste and horrible applications. I wouldn't be surprised if I could drop the temps a bit with a re-paste.
Yup, the chipset fan on my X570 Meg Ace only turns on when I boot the bios after a full power off. It is the only time I have ever seen it run. I imagine my case fans push enough air past the chipset to keep it cool and within its threshold to leaving the fan off. I'm not sure what would even push the chipset unless you have no case airflow and a ton of IO hooked to the chipset.

My personal board preference has an eye towards storage - both PCI-E and SATA, so I went with an Asrock X570 Taichi thanks to it having 3x M.2 slots (all 4.0 capable) and 8 SATA ports.

If you don't need that much storage you can probably look elsewhere, but the board has been rock solid and absolutely wonderful for my usage.

It doesn't really matter unless you plan to heavily o/c and have really good cooling, otherwise buy based on the features you want. If you plan to o/c heavily then go for the board with the highest PBO limits. I'm a bit limited by my board with 5950X as it hits EDC limit, but after a few minutes and my AIO heat soaks it no longer presses the limit, so you will need to be on a 360+ open loop imo for the board to really matter beyond just features.

So I kept getting suggested that if I go with an x570 that to go x570s instead, but that was before I saw all the replies here that say they the fan isnt even an issue and doesnt even spin up with regular use, but I didnt know that and thought the fan was an issue running all the time, and I didnt want any extra noise from a 6kRPM fan.

I ended up getting an MSI Tomohawk max wi-fi, x570s board. It has pretty much everything I was asking for. I hope a NH-D15 fits, that's a really tall IO panel in the back.

If anyone has any thoughts on this board, feel free to share, positive or negative. I can only find one or two reviews and they were both positive so I hope I made the right choice.

Most of the current MSI boards are all pretty decent, thats the reason I went with my current X570 Creation board. Ive been very happy with it, and its been problem free since I bought it in 11/19.

That Tuf board was such a low price that I had to bite. I've resisted picking up the 5900 several times in the last few months, because use case or terms like overkill aren't as loud a message as technically able to to run.

The aorus elite is a good low end x570 board with pretty decent VRM setup. The TUF is supposed to be good at the price point as well. Would be cautious of MSI as several of their X570 boards have hot running VRMs, basically one needs to check for reviews for VRM temps on each MSI board. The Strix didn't really excite me when I was looking for a x570 board as I felt it didn't offer that much over the cheaper boards. Personally I would either go with either the elite or tuf in your list or step up to a board above the strix (Asus crosshair viii series or Gigabyte Aourus master).

Back