Need new cooler for i7-12700F

atarione

2[H]4U
So.... I'm giving my wife my Ryzen 5 3600 rig.... The cooler is going with it.. it is a cryorig h5 (which i don't have a 1700 mounting kit for and it is only 160W TDP max... soooo I need a new cooler..

I don't wish to spend "all teh monies" I have a preference towards air coolers over AIO's ... I have a GIGANTIC case NZXT H630 so clearance concerns should be minimal as far as cooler height goes..

I'm looking at the three following coolers which I believe should all be able to deal with the TDP of the i7-12700F ??

1. Noctua NH-U12S Redux
2. Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.C
3. ID-COOLING SE-226-XT

Curious if anyone has experience with these / thoughts? Also if there are other options in this general cost range I may wanna check out?

I am leaning towards the Noctua but the other 2 look pretty good as well?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Mugen is nice if you have tall ram or need a compact cooler. Does perfectly fine on my 5600 and can tame Max Boost clocks and even keep all core workloads manageable. But The amazon deal is hard to pass up. If I was buying now and had room that's what I would get :)

The Mugen 5 is not as good as it should be. I've had the Rev B. for a few years. Its fine, but you can get better coolers for the money. It was maxed out with an 11700 non-k with the power limits unlocked. I recently put it on a 12600k for a kids build and its fine. Again, not great.

The Mugen 5 is not as good as it should be. I've had the Rev B. for a few years. Its fine, but you can get better coolers for the money. It was maxed out with an 11700 non-k with the power limits unlocked. I recently put it on a 12600k for a kids build and its fine. Again, not great.
I agree. The Mugen 5 is solid. I've used it on a couple of builds to avoid using dual tower coolers and cant complain at all. But the pe120 is markedly better. I haven't mounted or tested the pe120se yet but from my and others research, the only real difference is the fan being 50rpm faster on the se.

in the end ... i findally ordered my i7-12700K *not F/KF) yesterday I ordered a $45~ Peerless Assassin to go along with it.. Apparently everything except the motherboard will be here thursday... but the GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS Elite AX won't be here to the following Thursday..... sooo a bit more waiting.

Back