Need networking help....again

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Trying to connect to a Windows box. Linux wants to know the following :

Server

Folder

Name

Password

In my mind I want to connect to a SHARE on the Windows box. "Folder" should be irrelevant but apparently it's not. So what exactly is the share and what is the folder?

TIA

this help at all?

To mount the Windows shared folder type “sudo mount.cifs //Technig-Win10/SharedFiles /home/ulx/Desktop/WinFiles/ -o user=Win10” command.

Access Windows Shared Folder from Linux
If you need help to understand the mount command, just check the below commands descriptions.

• sudo mount.cifs: This is just the mount command, set to mount a CIFS (SMB) share.
  • Technig-Win10: Is the name of the Windows computer. Type “hostname” on CMD to find your Windows computer name.
  • //Technig-Win10/SharedFiles: Is the full path to the Windows shared folder.
  • /home/ulx/Desktop/WinFiles: Is where we’d like the share files to be mounted on the Linux system.
  • -o user=Win10: Is the Windows username that we are using to access the shared folder. Type “net user” in CMD to find the user name of Windows.

https://technig.com/access-windows-shared-folder-linux/

Thanks. I was trying to use the connect to server dialog box. It's worked for me before but I don't remember the share / folder thing.

Anyway, I think I may have a problem with the Windows server refusing connections for some reason. I've gone through all the setting, services, etc. till I'm blue in the face but I don't think it's a Linux issue at this point. :banghead:

Thanks. I was trying to use the connect to server dialog box. It's worked for me before but I don't remember the share / folder thing.

Anyway, I think I may have a problem with the Windows server refusing connections for some reason. I've gone through all the setting, services, etc. till I'm blue in the face but I don't think it's a Linux issue at this point. :banghead:
on the windows machine, try dumbing down the network security strength.

on the windows machine, try dumbing down the network security strength.

Yea, it's dumbed down as far as it will go. Something strange is going on. Neither Angry IP Scanner under Linux nor Advanced IP Scanner under Windows will display the NetBIOS name. I also cannot connect from another Windows box either. Can't connect using the IP address either. I've checked all the network dependencies in services and they're all running. Tomorrow I'll fire up another Windows Server and see if I can't shed some light on the subject but as of now, I'm stumped. :(

Yea, it's dumbed down as far as it will go. Something strange is going on. Neither Angry IP Scanner under Linux nor Advanced IP Scanner under Windows will display the NetBIOS name. I also cannot connect from another Windows box either. Can't connect using the IP address either. I've checked all the network dependencies in services and they're all running. Tomorrow I'll fire up another Windows Server and see if I can't shed some light on the subject but as of now, I'm stumped. :(
huh. win to win isnt working either?! have you rebooted everything?!

Yup. More times than I care to mention. I've been working on it for several hours and I think fatigue started to set in a good while back. Maybe after a good nights sleep I'll have a eureka moment.

I've asked about this folder thing in Linux before and never got an answer. I hardly ever designate a folder as a share unless it's on the boot drive which is a rare occurrence. I usually share an entire drive so folders are not part of the equation most of the time. In the windows world you connect to a share, whatever it may be. Connecting to a folder just seems strange to me.

Yup. More times than I care to mention. I've been working on it for several hours and I think fatigue started to set in a good while back. Maybe after a good nights sleep I'll have a eureka moment.

I've asked about this folder thing in Linux before and never got an answer. I hardly ever designate a folder as a share unless it's on the boot drive which is a rare occurrence. I usually share an entire drive so folders are not part of the equation most of the time. In the windows world you connect to a share, whatever it may be. Connecting to a folder just seems strange to me.
I share folders as well as whole drives on Linux, Mac, ARM and Windows machines using SMB all the time. The only time I had an issue was when I tried to share an NTFS drive from a Linux server, I just couldn't get the permissions right. As soon as I dumped all the data off the drive in question, reformatted the drive to Ext4 and transferred all the data back everything was fine.

Most of the time I just share a folder, I can't really see the point to sharing a whole drive.

KDE Neon is good in this regard as it has a Samba Status Monitor:

GrkJhri.png

Fired up another server this morning and confirmed the problem is with the server I was working with yesterday. I'll have to dig some more to uncover the problem.

The problem server has 24 900GB HD's in it. All the drive letters are taken except A and B. This might be the problem but then again, I'm not able to connect to the server at all so maybe not. I can however see it on the network, just can't connect.

Back