Need help: PC Unable to connect to HP m139 laser printer

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I come across a strange scenario:

the setup has 1 old laptop and 1 new tablet, both running Windows 10, the laptop connects to M139 and can print just fine

the new tablet cannot connect to the printer, it says off line. Now, there are 2 ways to setup that printer driver, via Microsoft or w/ HP

Case 1: when I click "Add printer", microsoft is able to see the new printer immediately, but it ask for the WPS code, and somehow I manage to get the printer to print the WPS code, but that is w/ Microsoft driver, and in short, Print Test Page gets nothing

Case 2: download HP full package driver, the HP software is unable to see the printer, it says to move the laptop closer to the printer, in which it's only a few ft. HP smart eventually setup the printer, but keep saying Off line.

has anyone seen this before?

It sounds like you're trying to use the printer's "wifi direct connect" feature to print. This only works if the device you're trying to print from connects directly to the printer's wifi connection, meaning that you have to switch from your home wifi to the printer's wifi every time you print.

Direct printer wifi printing is a massive headache, and is far more trouble than it's worth. I would recommend connecting the printer directly to your home wifi and then using the HP driver to find networked printers instead. This keeps all of your devices on the same network, making managing the printer much easier.

At the beginning, you 're correct. When I click Add Printer, Microsoft Windows 10 automatically finds that printer, and creates their Wifi Direct Connect garbage, and it does not work.

So like you said, I install the HP driver full package, but it doesn't find the printer via wifi. In the end, I use the USB and connects the printer that way. But the HP driver set is so poor, even I install the full package, it does not give the Wifi driver, only USB. So I can't add a wifi port.

Back