Need Help: Home Network on Windows 10 (Sharing Files / accessing 1 main drive)

Dane

[H]ard|Gawd
Now that homegroup is gone in Windows 10, what's my best option to have a central computer to host/save/share everything on?

Wireless network with 5 computers. I want one computer to be the main hub to have the folders (mainly excel files) and the other computers can access/save as well.

Any thoughts? Something isn't working on our network (can see some computers sometimes, other times I cannot). Very very odd....help!

Thanks! $10 paypal to the first who gets this figured out on our end. THX!

lol could be a million things, but simple file sharing works fine when you have healthy network services... just right click the folder you want to share and share them... other windows machines just need their file discovery setting turned on and they should be able to see them

As someone pointed out in another similar thread, when MS dropped Homegroup, they turned off (Set to Manual) the Function Discovery Resource Publication service. If you set that service to Automatic it may help. What I do on my computers is I just create a desktop/taskbar link to File Explorer that specifically identifies the computer and folder that I want to access e.g. C:\Windows\explorer.exe \\asustwo\c\temp and access my files that way. That may not solve all your problems, especially copying and moving files between computers, but its a simple start. Sometimes I just open an Explorer window for each computer using the shortcut and drag files between the windows.

Thanks to both of you!

Goodcooper: I think my problem lies with our network 1st. I can't seem to get everyone on the same page..sometimes we can see the PC, sometimes we can't. They were both new out of the box, so I have no idea why the headache started
DWD999: Someone told me that before about the FDRP. I set that to Auto, but perhaps I'll restart everything and hit that again (there were 4 items I was supposed to set to Auto).

I'll try some things tonight and perhaps pick your brains tomorrow if that is OK? I think the specific folder will work. I literally want to be able to see an excel file from different computers. That's it. Homegroup was great for this before...!!

First, verify your machines are all on the same subnet.
Second, check 'Function Discovery Provider Host' and 'Function Discovery Resource Publication' services, and then set them to Automatic (Delayed Start).
Third, open Explorer Network, enable network discovery.
Fourth, review your windows firewall, ensure you are not on a public network as the firewall will lock things down.

If you have any 3rd party antivirus products you may also need to check them for firewall settings as well.

Back