need help: Cannot understand why this Panasonic TGA939 series handset (2014 model) is over $100 per unit

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
on Dec. 2014, I bought this 2 line cord/cordless KX-TG9471B set, that comes with the based cord phone & a cordless handset. Everything works fine to this date.

the handset model is TGA939T.

The other week, based on internet research (see link below), I bought 3 x TGA931T, that is supposedly compatible with my TGA939T, I paid $20 for all 3 handset

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questi...hone-accessory-handset-metallic-black/8936388

as it turns out, I can't register the handset w/ the base. So it looks like I have to buy TGA939T instead, eventhough the 2 units look exactly the same.

Regardless, do a search at ebay, the lowest I have seen is $90, and w/ link below, going at $120.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasoinc-...387645?hash=item546d9ef83d:g:LSEAAOSwok9crNfA

I don't understand, for people who needs 2 more handset, if that's the price, I might as well buy the latest 2020 model for less. What so special about this series that their handset go for that much?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Because businesses with multiple existing handsets and same issue likely..

Common practice on eBay to jack up prices for older items. There's very limited supply of them, so somebody who really needs it will pay up.
Whereas new items are readily available, so prices are lower.
I've been shopping for a Logitech G500s recently - BNIB is listed on eBay for like $120. It cost like $50 new in it's day, and current replacement model (G502) is even less. But, the G500s is not longer sold anywhere, so if somebody really wants it, there's only a handful available for sale and sellers want stupid money for them.

they stopped making them years ago, they are one of the best cordless phones and now its on fleabay, so $$$

The handset pricing on Panasonic sets was crazy to begin with. I had a base + 3 or 4 set I was happy with, but wanted to go up to five handsets, and it was cheaper to buy a new base + 5 than to buy the one ore two. While they were new and in production.

I own the TGA939, and I thought I can pair w/ TGA931, somehow, it just doesn't pair. Now I'm stuck either get some more 939 or get a new set

Common practice on eBay to jack up prices for older items. There's very limited supply of them, so somebody who really needs it will pay up.
Whereas new items are readily available, so prices are lower.
I've been shopping for a Logitech G500s recently - BNIB is listed on eBay for like $120. It cost like $50 new in it's day, and current replacement model (G502) is even less. But, the G500s is not longer sold anywhere, so if somebody really wants it, there's only a handful available for sale and sellers want stupid money for them.
I had a bunch of the original Logitech track man+ marbles. Made a killing on them when I saw they were going for $200-$400 each on ebay.

Back