Need case ideas for retro Quad Crossfire build

slavie

Limp Gawd
Hey y'all, been gathering components for a retro build. Have a hard time coming up with a case.

Build is circa 2009 (Radeon 4890). I need at least 8 expansion slots on the back for quad crossfire, and decent airflow. I understand there are wonderful cases for this now, but I would really like to stay "period correct".

SilverStone RAVEN RV02 would be perfect, but I can't find it. Anybody has one collecting dust?
Cooler Master HAF X is good but was released in 2010.

I looked through a bunch of full tower cases from the period, but they all have the standard 7 expansion slots.
I had Cooler Master ATCs 840 back then, but only 7 exp slots :(
Leaning towards HAF X, but looking for suggestions.

Thanks!

Thermaltake ArmourPlus and Thermaltake Xaser (VI I think?) are also from that time period. I think they are ugly AF, but the fact that they haven't aged well does make them look a bit more retro if that's what you are going for.

I would probably go with the HAF X myself. I had a friend with the RV02 at the time and he always struggled with GPU temps on his SLI setup.

Anybody remember large Fractal or Corsair cases from back then? Lian Li I'm sure had some, but Lian Li's are rare and hard to find.

Thermaltake ArmourPlus is a bit more ugly than I think I can stomach. Thermaltake Xaser VI looks borderline acceptable. But, both of those look like they might be hard to find.
Cooler Master Cosmos got me all excited on first look, but, only 7 exp slots. :(

Rosewill THOR V2is on sale for $115 shipped right now. Introduced 2011, 10 exp slots. Very, very tempting as a compromise solution at a great price.

Anybody remember large Fractal or Corsair cases from back then? Lian Li I'm sure had some, but Lian Li's are rare and hard to find.
Corsair 800d came out around that time and was my dream case, but I checked and it only has 7 slots. Antec also had the 1200, but I checked and it only has 7 slots as well.

I'm not sure if it's still in production or period correct, but I prefer the Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra over the THOR. It's much cleaner looking without all the gimicky plastic flappy doodles. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811147157\

I have used the Thor for a couple 4 GPU render boxes and they all have some sort of broken plastic flaps or clips. (Granted the customer isn't known for treating things well.)

That said the THOR is serviceable and at that price is probably going to be your cheapest and easiest option.

Last edited:
Corsair 800d came out around that time and was my dream case, but I checked and it only has 7 slots. Antec also had the 1200, but I checked and it only has 7 slots as well.

I'm not sure if it's still in production or period correct, but I prefer the Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra over the THOR. It's much cleaner looking without all the gimicky plastic flappy doodles. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811147157\

I have used the Thor for a couple 4 GPU render boxes and they all have some sort of broken plastic flaps or clips. (Granted the customer isn't known for treating things well.)

That said the THOR is serviceable and at that price is probably going to be your cheapest and easiest option.
I looked at 800D and it would work as there is a vent underneath the bottom slot, but that case is still stupid expensive today. There's a guy on eBay asking $400 shipped for a BNIB 800D. Hard pass at that price.

Rosewill Blackhawk came out in 2011 it seems, same as THOR V2. So I see no advantage there over the readily available THOR V2. Also, Blackhawk is a total ripoff on CM 690 (which I used to have).

Antec did release "V2" versions 900 that had 8 slots in 2009. But, it has no bottom vents and looks to be choked for airflow for my intended usage. I found a guy who did quad GPU in Antec 902 and reported bad temps.

did quad fire actually ever work?
You mean, will the system recognize them all? I hope so. There have been a few 4000-series quad crossfire builds I've read about.
Is it an efficient use of resource? Absolutely not, exactly like this whole build. :D

Corsair 800D. 2009 release date, all the space you need.

Shame you aren't closer. I have one collecting dust.

Back