Need assistance: 1 - 2 sec power down, no post

SirViro

[H]ard|Gawd
Problem: I just assembled this computer. Nitty gritty is I press the power button, everything powers up, 1 or 2 seconds later it turns off. No POST. Nothing.

Failed Attempts:
1) Unplugged everything but single HDD. - Not a juice issue.
2) Tried another PSU - Not a PSU issue.
3) Replaced RAM - Not a RAM issue.
4) Replaced Video card - Not a video card issue.
5) Replaced CPU - Not a CPU issue.

Have not tried:
1) Another mobo - It was working before I got my hands on it.
2) Reseating mobo - Didn't have the time tonight. Have class in the morning. :p

Any ideas? Sounds like a possible short somewhere, but I didn't have the time tonight, bed right after this post.

Specs:
Abit AT7-max2
AMD AthlonXP 2800+
1GB PC3200 Hyper-X
BBA ATI 9250 (I know, it's a temp solution until I build my real system)
40GB WD
40GB Maxtor
160GB Hitachi
CDRW 48X Lite-on

IIRC the last time one did that to me, I hadn't plugged the mobo power wires in very well...

It's always a good idea to do first boot outside the case and with only one memory module plugged in anyway. Not your first impulse when you get a bunch of new kit, I know. :D

take it out the case and see if it starts...if so....check the case....and what you are screwing in ...

If it were a short it'd turn off instnatly. Ensure you have not neglected to connect the square 4 pin +12v connector and that your CPU fan is attached to the CPUFAN header near the socket. If it's not, the system will assume the CPU fan has died and refuse to boot. If you can get into the BIOS you can turn that off, but for now some spinning fan with a yellow RPM sense wire must be attached.

Epicenter said:
and that your CPU fan is attached to the CPUFAN header near the socket

This will also definately do it. It's unlikely anything's wrong with your computer, it's just not hooked up right.

I tried all of the above. Still no go. :(

I hope I can get this to work or else I'm out of a computer for a few weeks.

Any other ideas?

It's really about 1 second, if that. So I think it's a short, but I can't find anything that would be shorting it out...

Back