Need an intel cooler that screws into a backplate with coarse case screw style threads

bigddybn

Supreme [H]ardness
I have an HP G4 tower style machine that's pulling backup duties at home. It comes with an OEM cooler that uses standard Intel spacing but screws into 4 standoffs behind the motherboard. The OEM cooler is probably fine for it's intended purpose but idles around 60C for me and spikes into the high 80s which is annoying me. Looking for something to replace it that screws down from the top into what would normally be a backplate under the board. The 4 screws need to have the coarse case screw style threads though.

Basically I need this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QNN9MW3 but with coarse screws threads, not the finer machine style. Anyone know of anything? I tall tower cooler won't fit but I do have some clearance. Case uses full height PCI cards as a size reference.

There is a bigger OEM cooler but I can't find one that doesn't cost 90 bucks and F' that.

EDIT: I should have mentioned the OEM cooler doesn't keep up because this machine was originally equipped with an i5, but I'm running an i7-8700 in its place.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have an HP G4 tower style machine that's pulling backup duties at home. It comes with an OEM cooler that uses standard Intel spacing but screws into 4 standoffs behind the motherboard. The OEM cooler is probably fine for it's intended purpose but idles around 60C for me and spikes into the high 80s which is annoying me. Looking for something to replace it that screws down from the top into what would normally be a backplate under the board. The 4 screws need to have the coarse case screw style threads though.

Basically I need this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QNN9MW3 but with coarse screws threads, not the finer machine style. Anyone know of anything? I tall tower cooler won't fit but I do have some clearance. Case uses full height PCI cards as a size reference.

There is a bigger OEM cooler but I can't find one that doesn't cost 90 bucks and F' that.

EDIT: I should have mentioned the OEM cooler doesn't keep up because this machine was originally equipped with an i5, but I'm running an i7-8700 in its place.
Can you replace the standoffs?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If the standoffs are flush with the metal tray the board sits on, I'd recommend just using a hole saw and cutting them out. If they're raised up, use a dremel to cut them out. Then you can install normal coolers. Obviously make sure you take the case apart down to the frame first, and wash it to within an inch of its life to get all of the metal shavings out.

"coarse threads" isn't really descriptive enough to know what you need. #6-32? M4? M3? There are a bunch of different screw sizes that can be in a PC case, especially when proprietary.

I've modified dozens of both HP and Dell cases. It's much easier to cut the garbage out of the case than trying to work around it.

Can you just strap a better fan down onto it? Otherwise yeah it sounds like you might be doing some sawing

If all else fails I'll just drill the legs on a better HSF and use my own mounting hardware. Just tough to get even pressure that way sometimes. I don't want to cut the OEM case. It's neat and simple to use, that's why I use it. Otherwise I have enough spare parts sitting around to build 20 replacement machines that are more powerful and flexible. The HP box is just easy. It has good drive mounting, full featured vPro and other remote management features, doesn't look stupid on the shelf in my office, isn't noisy, etc.

Oh and I paid 60 bucks for it as a barebone.

Have u tried to undervolt it? I dropped like 12c undercoating my CPU. That's a free way to keep temps low.

Back