Need a recommendation

Alright, here's my story.

I'm getting married in about a year and half. I've been an avid PC gamer (TF2, L4D, SupCom etc). I've been looking forward to Modern Warfare 2, Diablo III, and Starcraft II.

Here's the issue. I've been trying to save some cash and cut some spending etc. I have a PC Desktop(Specs in Sig), Unibody Macbook Pro, and a Netbook.

I also have an Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3.

Now, here's the thing. I thought it might be a good idea to sell my Desktop PC (to a friend for $800), concentrate on Console gaming, and a few select PC Games (Win 7 via my MBP). My Macbook Pro is my workhorse, home/school/work. I use it for all 3 99.9% of the time.

Do you guys think I should get rid of my Desktop and go all MBP? I guess I'm really fighting with the idea, and I know there's a bit of a bias being an Apple thread.

tl;dr Sell or Keep my desktop?

Thanks for the advice guys

Sell the netbook, wii, and PS3. Keep the desktop, macbook, and xbox. If you are anything like me, you barely play the wii anyway. You will want two computers for when you are married. I live with my fiance, and one of us is always on one computer, so if the other wants to look something else, we need two. Gaming on the macbook is just not much fun for me.

Keep the desktop, and the MacBook Pro and sell the consoles, for they do not offer nearly the same things that desktop can offer. The MacBook Pro is good for things that you dont want to do on the desktop. I would make the desktop strictly a gaming machine and use the MBP for all the other things that you may do. That is what I do now, and I think that is the best decision.

The MBP is certainly capable of running games pretty well in Win 7, but it'll be a downgrade from your PC. And if you have all three current gen consoles, I'm not sure I see the need to keep Windows around for the sake of gaming.

Basically, it comes down to your priorities. If gaming is your first priority, keep the PC. If gaming is a secondary priority, then you can get by with the MBP. If you already use it 99.9% of the time, then you've practically phased the PC out of your life anyway.

I have the same MBP as you, including identical RAM, HD upgrades. It's a great laptop, but I wouldn't want to use it as a primary gaming machine. Keep the desktop!

I have the same MBP as you, including identical RAM, HD upgrades. It's a great laptop, but I wouldn't want to use it as a primary gaming machine. Keep the desktop!

I think his point is that PC gaming is no longer his primary way of playing games, so he's questioning if he even needs to keep a gaming PC around.

He's got the 360 or PS3 for CoD4-2, and the MBP should be more than capable of running Diablo III and Starcraft 2, especially as both games are getting native Mac versions.

I think his point is that PC gaming is no longer his primary way of playing games, so he's questioning if he even needs to keep a gaming PC around.

He's got the 360 or PS3 for CoD4-2, and the MBP should be more than capable of running Diablo III and Starcraft 2, especially as both games are getting native Mac versions.

I think that's exactly what I'm trying to say. :/ I suppose I can always re-build a Desktop PC down the road.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind!

If you are fine playing mac native games, on a laptop, then get rid of the desktop. I'd keep the netbook for the wifey-poo to use if she doesn't have her own computer. Nothing worse than having to stop gaming because she wants to look at TMZ.

If you are fine playing mac native games, on a laptop, then get rid of the desktop. I'd keep the netbook for the wifey-poo to use if she doesn't have her own computer. Nothing worse than having to stop gaming because she wants to look at TMZ.

haha -- well I was just looking for some thoughts. I've had my mind 'set' but I hoping someone could talk sense into me. Shes actually got her own HP Laptop -- so she wont be using my gear.

Ever get the feeling that you have "too much"? I guess it's also a factor of consolidating.

haha -- well I was just looking for some thoughts. I've had my mind 'set' but I hoping someone could talk sense into me.

Nothing nonsensical about it. This generation of consoles has really cannibalized the PC gaming market. There are a few games that are only available for or better on the PC than on consoles, but for the most part, having a gaming PC is a luxury, not a necessity.

Given what you want to play, it's not a bad move to sell the gaming PC. You'll be fine.

Nothing nonsensical about it. This generation of consoles has really cannibalized the PC gaming market. There are a few games that are only available for or better on the PC than on consoles, but for the most part, having a gaming PC is a luxury, not a necessity.

Given what you want to play, it's not a bad move to sell the gaming PC. You'll be fine.

I'm starting to agree...considering my 4850 X2 (and like yours) costs just as much as an Xbox 360.

IMHO, the only thing keeping PC gaming alive is the ability to use keyboard and mouse. If I could plug those into an XBOX 360, and play FPS, MMO's, and RTS games on it, it would be a hands down slam dunk for console only. I'd still keep a desktop PC for computer stuff, but it would just be a quiet dual core with onboard graphics.

Back