Need A Good Case For Best AirCooling

CrazyBeaner

Limp Gawd
like topic tittle says i have 200 bucks for a new case, i was looking at the armor and kandalf for my main choices but im worried that the cables from my psu wont be long enough to reach my components lol
so wat are ur opinions on a case?

I can't recommend either--never tried either :)

but I can recommeng my a900 as it's an excellent aircooling case with plenty of room for big PSUs and cables galore.

I house 4 hard drives, a 8800gtx, xfi SC, TV card, x2 DVD/RWs and tons of fans. If you're planning on installing that or less, you'll be just fine.

The X-Superalien from Aspire/Apevia has 6 80mm fans and is a monster.

Antec 900. A top 200mm fan and daul 120mm in front, just to name a few of many fans in this case.

jetjaguar said:
stacker 830 .. can use up to 9 x 120mm
Seconded. Or for cheaper, the Stacker 810 has a decent amount of fans and cools really well too. Either is an excellent choice, though the 830 is pretty much the best case for aircooling out there.

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Tech_Station

nothing beats the ventilation of no walls!!!

mountainmods.com... their cubes pack in alot of fans.

http://www.mountainmods.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_71&products_id=362

Otherwise, a custom modded Lian-LI PC-V2000 from performance-pcs is what I have. The extra 3x120mm fans in the top really keeps things flowing, and I had an extra 2x120mm fans added to the bottom panel as well. The case itself has 4x120mm fans to begin with... so 11x120mm fans... oh yeah... it moves!

I would say Antec 900 is the best air-cooling case I've seen, the case seems like just a series of metal mesh. If you're looking for a larger, more expensive case - than the Stacker 830 would be nice too. Most watercoolers like Stackers for the space.

Newegg has a deal going on for the Nine-Hundred right now:
I was thinking of getting one myself.
Link

Zero82z said:
Seconded. Or for cheaper, the Stacker 810 has a decent amount of fans and cools really well too. Either is an excellent choice, though the 830 is pretty much the best case for aircooling out there.

I prefer the STC-T01 to the 810. The 810 is only something I'd use for a quad processor setup. The secondary exhaust fan isn't going to be needed. Intake is far more important than exhaust. Additionally, the STC-T01's are more common, and allow the use of dual PSUs if you need a cheap upgrade to more power in your future.

:( those are good cases but like i said under 200 lol, tha kandalf is looking to sexy to resist

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811196022

- A 140mm in front, a 250mm on the side, and either two 80mm or one 120mm in the back.
- Its a mid tower so its not huge.
-Comes stock with a fan controller for each fan (front, side, and the 120mm in the back that you'd add).
- Will not break the bank.

Really, do not go for all out cooling unless you plan to never leave it on while your ears are not covered. While tons of fans are nice, tons of fans are also very loud. So go with something that has big and slow spinning fans.

Skrying said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811196022

- A 140mm in front, a 250mm on the side, and either two 80mm or one 120mm in the back.
- Its a mid tower so its not huge.
-Comes stock with a fan controller for each fan (front, side, and the 120mm in the back that you'd add).
- Will not break the bank.

Really, do not go for all out cooling unless you plan to never leave it on while your ears are not covered. While tons of fans are nice, tons of fans are also very loud. So go with something that has big and slow spinning fans.

That case looks cheap and flimsy. I've worked with Aerocool cases before, and that's always been my experience. Additionally, I doubt that sucker can match the amount of air moved by a fully equipped Coolermaster Stacker 830.

The 120mm fans aren't that loud, and is the custom of most people in the forums it seems, you could get a fan speed controller and tweak it to your liking. I've got all my fans running at full speed and it isn't bad at all.

Dan_D said:
That case looks cheap and flimsy. I've worked with Aerocool cases before, and that's always been my experience. Additionally, I doubt that sucker can match the amount of air moved by a fully equipped Coolermaster Stacker 830.

The 120mm fans aren't that loud, and is the custom of most people in the forums it seems, you could get a fan speed controller and tweak it to your liking. I've got all my fans running at full speed and it isn't bad at all.

Did I say it could match it? No, but do you honestly need the airflow in a standard PC that the 830 offers? No you do not. If you are serious about OC'ing you'd go water, and if you were serious about silence you'd certainly not say that many 120mm's can not be loud.

Our ideas of what is loud are vastly different....

im seeing tthe 900 and its sexy as a mofo lol, but from the reviews ived read its one hell of a case to work with meanign wireing :(

PowerMac G5. Amazing thermal design .

Honestly, though, I'd just go for a good-quality but inexpensive (and likely fugly) old server case, and take a hole saw to it. Good ventilation design plus low-noise 120mm fans should be more than adequate.

CrazyBeaner said:
:( those are good cases but like i said under 200 lol, tha kandalf is looking to sexy to resist

The Coolermaster 810 and STC-T01's are under $200.00.

Skrying said:
Our ideas of what is loud are vastly different....

Obviously. :)

The kandalf and than chenmeg are ugly as shit.

If you like the armor/kandalf, go with the armor. I removed those dumbass side flaps that block the cd drives, and trust me it looks a lot cooler.

But as far as airflow, the armor is really good. Id say the stacker 830 (ugly) antec 900 (boxey) and the armor (kinda lame with the feet) are the best for airflow. But you can just buy an excellent looking lian li and put a bunch of fans it it.

EDIT: the stacker 810 is excellent too, and looks cooler than the 830

i have the nine hundred ,
great case ,
great price ,
great airflow ,
your rig will love it ,
temps will drop noticeably . like 10 degrees .
i would highly recommend the nine hundred if you need AIR COOLING .
good luck with your purchase .
cheers .

did i say a900 ftw? lol.

The truth is this case has been awesome for cooling. Funny thing, I wasn't attracted to the cooling at first but the fact that is resembled, partially, a stacker theme. Then I noticed the huge ass fan on thee tops and the nice placement of the fans within. Again, I know this case isn't one of your choices but maybe you should at least take a look at it.

Consider yourself informed :)

Another recommendation for the Antec 900. Sleek looks, fans galore, what's not to like? (besides tricky cable hiding) :p

JaYp146 said:
Another recommendation for the Antec 900. Sleek looks, fans galore, what's not to like? (besides tricky cable hiding) :p

here is a great link for the nine hundred .

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126395

here is my nine hundred .
not bad cable management , dont ya think?
cheers .

Picture036.jpg

Picture033.jpg

JaYp146 said:

I don't know why people like it so much. Its ugly, cramped and I still don't think it can match a fully equipped Stacket 830 for cooling. Granted the looks are subjective. Even so, the case seems kind of cheap to me.

i just bought one for christmas for a new build along with antec PS. awsome combo although pricey. no complaints yet :D

Dan_D said:
I don't know why people like it so much. Its ugly, cramped and I still don't think it can match a fully equipped Stacket 830 for cooling. Granted the looks are subjective. Even so, the case seems kind of cheap to me.

Agree. it looks too boxy and cheap for me. but he did ask for a good COOLING case, not a COOL case. lol

I prefer Lian li's simplicity, and you can always add fans.

Dan_D said:

We agree on something!

I'm really not understanding the draw to the 900. They could vastly improve its visuals if they would simply take off that plastic slope on the top. They could fit a 200mm fan directly onto the case in the same spot. It would really help with the visuals.

Skrying said:
We agree on something!

I'm really not understanding the draw to the 900. They could vastly improve its visuals if they would simply take off that plastic slope on the top. They could fit a 200mm fan directly onto the case in the same spot. It would really help with the visuals.

Agreed. The slope is why I don't like the Antec P180 either.

the post is ,,best air cooling case .
imo , its the antec nine hundred .
i did not buy it for looks , i got it for performance .
i have yet to read a bad review on the COOLING aspect of this case .
my temps went down by 10 degrees .
i took the case apart ,to paint and mod it some .
man , its SOLID . nothing cheap about it . its not that pricy .
im an owner of the nine hundred , and quiet happy with it .
if there was anything wrong with the case , i would say so .
im a happy camper here , its a great AIR COOLING CASE .
cheers .

i just read this on another forum ,,
cases are like hookers , if you want looks ,,,
you gotta pay more .
makes sense to me .

SpasticTeapot said:
PowerMac G5. Amazing thermal design .

Honestly, though, I'd just go for a good-quality but inexpensive (and likely fugly) old server case, and take a hole saw to it. Good ventilation design plus low-noise 120mm fans should be more than adequate.

plus, you can always paint it

littlejohn1959 said:
the post is ,,best air cooling case .
imo , its the antec nine hundred .
i did not buy it for looks , i got it for performance .
i have yet to read a bad review on the COOLING aspect of this case .
my temps went down by 10 degrees .
i took the case apart ,to paint and mod it some .
man , its SOLID . nothing cheap about it . its not that pricy .
im an owner of the nine hundred , and quiet happy with it .
if there was anything wrong with the case , i would say so .
im a happy camper here , its a great AIR COOLING CASE .
cheers .

i just read this on another forum ,,
cases are like hookers , if you want looks ,,,
you gotta pay more .
makes sense to me .

It's all subjective. I can't stand the layout of them, or their looks. I also wouldn't think it could best the Stacker 830 for cooling. Obviously, it would be possible out of th ebox as the Stacker doesn't come with all of the fans it can use. But four 120mm fans on the side blowing on ALL of your components just can't be beat right now.

Dan_D said:
It's all subjective. I can't stand the layout of them, or their looks. I also wouldn't think it could best the Stacker 830 for cooling. Obviously, it would be possible out of th ebox as the Stacker doesn't come with all of the fans it can use. But four 120mm fans on the side blowing on ALL of your components just can't be beat right now.

i just gave my opinion on the antec nine hundred . thats all .
i cant comment on another case because i dont own one .
his post is an air cooled case . nothing about LOOKS .
we are going off topic here .
the bottom line comes to personal perfrence . im thinking .
no doubt , he will purchase the case , that best suits his needs .
cheers there

Any of the Cooler Master Stackers is a safe bet. I have a Stacker T01 which has been awesome for me, though I'm trying to sell it now because the size is too much of a hassle for me being a college student.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the NZXT Zero. Are these not liked for some reason? I love mine - very quiet (even with 4x120mm fans on the side), roomy, looks good, made well, cheap, and it keeps my CPU idling at 28 and 46 under load (with a Zalman 9500). Check it out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811146029

Also, they have great customer service. The case can hold 6 HD's, but it only comes with enough rails to mount 5 HD's. I e-mailed customer service to find out how I could get another set of rails to mount a 6th drive. They sent them to me in 2 days, at no charge. Pretty cool, in this day of poor customer service, I think.

I'll put in another vote for the 900. I know 2 people that have it, and they both love it, keep their systems running quite cool. One is running an FX62/8800GTX, the other is an 3800+/X800GTO. I agree that it can be noisy at full blast, but it's fairly quiet on low setting. I have a TJ06, and it seems to keep things pretty cool, though there isn't really a ventilation provition for the HDDs, so I mounted a pair of 80mm fans to the underside of the HDD cage. There's just enough room for the two of 'em, but it gets in the way of the outermost PCI slot. It's also the reverse-style case, where the PCI slots are above the CPU/RAM when the mobo is mounted.

Back