NE: G3258/Gigabyte B85 Combo $89AR

i have this cpu in a mini-itx z97 board and it's amazing how well it does in games

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2541678

$99-$10 rebate = $89 (didn't check on shipping)

I had this combo. Can get CPU up to around 4.2Ghz on stock voltage. No Vcore adjustment, so you're kind of limited. That being said, good price if you're looking for this combo.
I bit on one. Was kinda warmish... but this board DOES have vcore adjustments, which makes it kinda hot... literally... Im abusing this poor thing with the stock cooler.

So far the best I can do is 4.4 @ 1.31 volts... Im trying to get to 4.5 but even with vcore at 1.4 its a no go. Just might be the limit for this individual chip. (prolly doesnt help that it gets to like 90o heh.)

I havent tested any games (havent installed a video card) Im not sure yet what I will use this machine for. Basic desktop tasks are super snappy, I cant tell the difference between it and my i7 2600k @4.8.

I bit on one. Was kinda warmish... but this board DOES have vcore adjustments, which makes it kinda hot... literally... Im abusing this poor thing with the stock cooler.

So far the best I can do is 4.4 @ 1.31 volts... Im trying to get to 4.5 but even with vcore at 1.4 its a no go. Just might be the limit for this individual chip. (prolly doesnt help that it gets to like 90o heh.)

I havent tested any games (havent installed a video card) Im not sure yet what I will use this machine for. Basic desktop tasks are super snappy, I cant tell the difference between it and my i7 2600k @4.8.

Nice. I had one in my current desktop rig (signature) and the only difference to, are in games that utilize 4 cores.

I bought the combo for my cousin on Sunday and it's getting here tomorrow. It would have gotten here today if Newegg didn't take a whole Monday to package it and then finally ship it out Tuesday.. Somewhat ridiculous IMO, guess amazon spoiled me with their fast shipping times, prime or not.

Is there a BIOS update for it? I was using the release bios because it was the only one available

Wait the H series has v-core adjustment?

I thought only the Z series had that.

Is there a BIOS update for it? I was using the release bios because it was the only one available

I dont know, I didnt check (for an update). Im using the BIOS that came with it.

Looks like its "F1" with an ID of "8A14AG0K"

Im using a beefier cooler now... cooler temps, and I can run at 4.5 much longer, even at much lower vcore... but still not stable. It obviously didnt like the heat but I think 4.4 just might be this particular chips limit. From what I have read they are suppose to go higher. Possibly the board sucks. Oh well. I guess I will stay with 4.4 and see how low I can keep the voltage at.

Anyway, heres pics to verify:

2u8fn85.jpg

2qntouf.jpg

e7bfbd.jpg

1pffki.jpg

Now that I think about it, I think I remember there being a limit of 1.2V on my board for some reason (still good for 4.2Ghz). Not sure why that was, because I remember getting around 4.4-4.5Ghz on 1.3V on my other MSI board.

Anyway, speedstep wouldn't work right if I adjusted the voltage. It would read a constant 1.2V even when it downclocked in Windows to 800mhz.

When I first started to OC, I changed nothing but the multiplier. All other settings defaulted on "auto." Started right off with 40 (x10 = 4.0Ghz) then did 41, 42, 43 etc. Pretty standard right?

One thing I noticed on this board thats weird (or new to me) but kinda cool (or maybe not?) is I noticed that the vcore was also auto increasing.. significantly. I dont remember the exact numbers at first, but by 4.4 the vcore was up to like 1.37. Im kinda curious what criteria or method it used to do this is.

Back