NCASE M1 vs. Phanteks Shift

With dual AIOs in the M1, it seems like the hoses are an issue, blocking up the airflow...

In the Shift, the extra height helps alleviate the issue with hose lengths...?
It depends on which AIO, and orientation of the radiator. It does seem a little tight, but worked ok for me. I used 2x Corsair H75.

In the Shift, the extra height helps spread out the length of the AIOs but the bottom front radiator seem to breath better than the bottom radiator.

Hello,

I've been lurking this particular thread for a while now and both Nanook's and Einmannbude's builds are my inspiration and source of ideas. If you guys dont mind answering a couple of questions I would sincerely appreciate it.
1. To both: what size flex tubing did you use for your initial custom loop builds: 10/13mm (3/8 - 1/2) or 10-16mm (3/8-5/8) ?
2. Mostly to Nanook: I realize you ended up switching to AIO's in the end, is there a benefit to using h75 over h55? From the specs looks like h55 is a little thicker - so more surface area for heat dissipation?
3. To Nanook: I seem to remember that DDC pumps tend to generate significant heat themselves, do you think that might have added to your problem with the loop?
4. To both: I saw a comment that keeping the bottom chamber clear seems to help with airflow>>overall thermals, I am thinking of keeping my CPU (i5-7600K) on the AIO but converting my unfortunately non-blower style 1080 card to water-cooled variant via EK waterblock as it generates way too much hot air. Is this a viable approach?
5. And finally do you guys think there is any way to have an efficient loop (read to keep PCU and GPU under 60) in this case using two rads for something like non-overclocked CPU and 1080p gaming? Or am I better off swithching now to Shift X and not wasting time trying to achieve impossible?

I have assembled my build and I use Mastercooler AIO for CPU and Strix 1080. I can upload pics for anyone interested in a bit. The idea was to slowly convert it into a watercooled setup and use in living room for gaming/media.

Thank you

1) 10/13
2) I’m only using the slim radiator from the H75, and a single ML120 fan.
3) It’s possible that the DDC pump added to the internal case heat. I was worried after getting relatively high coolant temperatures, that I decided to move away from a single custom loop.
4) Well the Strix gpu has an awesome air cooler. You may be happy with keeping it stock.
5) The Shift is pretty restrictive in terms of air flow. Having said that, keeping both cpu and gpu under 60c during normal use. My 6700K has a 12-15% overclock, and it will spike up to 78c during processor intensive take such as photo editing / processing / 3D rendering.

1) 10/13mm
2) My experience is that radiator thickness does not scale like surface area. Meaning: a 240mm radiator will perform twice as good as a 120mm radiator with same thickness. But a 60mm thick radiator will not perform twice as good as a 30mm radiator with same surface area. I am trying to say: Don't expect too much performance gain from a radiator, that's a little bit thicker than another.
3) --
4) I am not sure if I understand. You say CPU gets cooled with AIO and GPU with EK water block and which other components? There is just one 120mm spot left for another radiator which would require its fan run high speed to cool 180W. And will there be a full custom loop for the GPU alone next to the AIO loop for the CPU?
5) My conclusion with the Shift is, that I found it impossible to air-cool my CPU. I also don't think a custom loop is a good idea for this case. At least for my GPU the radiator surface is just not enough to avoid ramped up fans . So CPU AIO and GPU AIO is the way to go. I never saw this as an option for me personally, because I had bad experience with AIOs (pump noise, pump defect). But since this is what the case was designed for, nobody should be surprised that this works best.

einmannbude

Thank you for your answers!

#4 yes, you got the idea. I was initially planning on running a full custom loop with 120EK SE and 120 Nemesis GTS rads to cool CPU and GPU. Now im thinking ill maybe swap my card to GB Windforce 1080 OC (family member has one) for the reasons Nanook mentioned ( Strix has a good air cooler, and it'd be a shame to take it off also Strix is longer and wider than Windforce). Instead i'll build a custom loop for Windforce card using EK parts. So this way CPU will be on H75/55 AIO, and Card will be on the custom loop.

Both cards i have access to, are open shroud (heat goes into the case :( and are non-reference design (so no easy hybrid conversion is possible), they also dont have the middle plate to cool down memory and VRMs so waterblock seems like a better approach than NZXT g12/g10.

PS. currently i have Noctua nf12 on the bottom pulling air through the CPU rad to outside, and the stock AIO fan instead on the side pulling air into bottom compartment. That blue slim fan was to test the possibility of using it with the future side radiator.
Also the 140 fan is reversed and pulling air in into top compartment. The case would be mostly horizontal.

Attachments

• IMG_20171208_214611.jpg
    IMG_20171208_214611.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20171208_214715.jpg
    IMG_20171208_214715.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20171208_214743.jpg
    IMG_20171208_214743.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20171208_214645.jpg
    IMG_20171208_214645.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20171205_203625.jpg
    IMG_20171205_203625.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Has anyone tried fitting a low profile radiator to the top fan spot and a low profile fan between the front panel and frame?

EK 120SE is 27mm thick so it might fit. And there is a 12mm thick fan from Scythe

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back