NCASE M1 v2 Build Thread

GTX 970
(V) MSI = 269mm x 141mm x 35 (Aircooler is officially too wide but people seem to be able to fit them)

Confirmed MSI GAMING 4G here!

What fans are those, mbondPDX? Are you getting good temperatures with your C14 setup?

I'm deciding which cooler to get and I've been looking at the C14 but I can't stand the sight of the brown Noctua fans, no matter how good they are!

As stated above i just oredered one of those. The fans on the pictures are scythe gentle typhoons.
I'm not going to use the noctua fans either. A 120mm fan will be more than enough to give proper cooling i think. It's important to note it wont be possible to use the HDD bracket with this cooler. I also considered the scythe Kabuto 2, which several people have here have used. It is about 60% of the price (don't quote me on that), should be sufficient for cooling power, and allows for HDD bracket. Availability and looks was what decided it for me in the and as i would have had to wait for a couple of weeks for the Scythe. Both of them give you the benefit of having the heatsink right up against the fan bracket so you can choose where to mount the fan.

Ah ok thanks for explaining. I hadn't really considered the possibly of changing out the fans TBH, but I like what you've done. I think I prefer the C14 to the Scythe Kabuto but it is more expensive. I'm assuming you don't have a fan underneath the fin stack; just the two Scythe fans on top?

Ah ok thanks for explaining. I hadn't really considered the possibly of changing out the fans TBH, but I like what you've done. I think I prefer the C14 to the Scythe Kabuto but it is more expensive. I'm assuming you don't have a fan underneath the fin stack; just the two Scythe fans on top?

I haven't built mine yet, so I don't know:D Since you asekd mbondPDX and I answered i can see why you could get confused:) I am by the way also wondering about a bottom fan. 140mm won't fit but I don't know what will, and what effect it would have.

I'll be testing sometime next week though. Have enough different fans lying around to play with the setup a bit.

I actually do have another GT under there but haven't done any comparisons of temps before and after adding it. Here's a picture of the top:
_MG_1301_zpscdee6ca1.jpg

I was able to snag my C14 for $40 shipped on Ebay. :D

Edit: forgot to add that I'm running a mild 4.2 OC and highest temp is 77 after a couple hours on prime blend. I haven't delided my chip.

Last edited:
Unfortunately no I didn't. I bought the C14 well before my M1 arrived and never even bothered with the fans that came with it since I had the GT's laying around. Would be interesting to do at some point though just for comparisons.

Ok so I've never built a PC before and I've got a beautiful V2 sat next to me. I've looked around and I think this is going to be my build. Does anyone see any issues with this?

Asus Maximus Impact VII
Intel Core i5 4690K
Noctua NH-C14
2 x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (attached to bracket)
Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP (2x4GB)
Silverstone 600W SFX
GTX 970 4GB Titan Blower Cooler
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (Boot)
WD 1TB 3.5" Caviar Blue (Storage)
Windows 8.1

I'm not planning on overclocking it, though it's nice to have the option if I need to a couple of years down the line. The main questions I have are with the cooling and fans.

• Will the two GTs be enough to cool the CPU and general case, with a blower GPU on the bottom? I wasn't going to have any fans underneath the GPU, nor was I going to add a 120 underneath the CPU cooler. Will just those two fans be enough?
  • What speed do those fans need to be? There's 1450 and 1850.
  • GTs are actually quite hard to find in the UK; are there any other recommendations? Should I get PWM fans?
  • Also, I was going to add the provided filters to the bracket fans, is that enough or should I buy a Demciflex filter for the bottom of the case for the GPU?
  • I'm spending a lot extra for the Titan GPU blower, any thoughts on whether a cheaper ACX would do just fine?

I understand it might be hard to guess, but you've all got a better idea than I do!

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Ok so I've never built a PC before and I've got a beautiful V2 sat next to me. I've looked around and I think this is going to be my build. Does anyone see any issues with this?

Asus Maximus Impact VII
Intel Core i5 4690K
Noctua NH-C14
Silverstone 600W SFX
Windows 8.1

I'm not planning on overclocking it, though it's nice to have the option if I need to a couple of years down the line. The main questions I have are with the cooling and fans.

• Will the two GTs be enough to cool the CPU and general case, with a blower GPU on the bottom? I wasn't going to have any fans underneath the GPU, nor was I going to add a 120 underneath the CPU cooler. Will just those two fans be enough?
  • GTs are actually quite hard to find in the UK; are there any other recommendations? Should I get PWM fans?
  • Also, I was going to add the provided filters to the bracket fans, is that enough or should I buy a Demciflex filter for the bottom of the case for the GPU?
  • I'm spending a lot extra for the Titan GPU blower, any thoughts on whether a cheaper ACX would do just fine?

I understand it might be hard to guess, but you've all got a better idea than I do!

Hi.
Is there any paticular feature that makes you want to go with the Impact VI. You can save 70$ (newegg prices) by going with something like the Asus Z97I-Plus. I would take a good look at the features and try to figure out if it's worth it. For 70$ it's worth the time it takes:)
I'll be doing som testing with different fan configs next week with that cooler and that processor. My parts will hopefully arrive tomorrow. I'll post the results here. I'll be using corsair fans though, because that's what I have laying around.

For a long time I had the Plus down as my chosen mobo but I was under the impression that it wasn't amazing, apart from the jump to the Z97 chip, e.g. they've downgraded the sound from the Z87i Deluxe. I was going to be spending all this money on everything else and then skimping on the motherboard, so I thought I might as well spend a bit more and ensure the core of the PC has all the best features. But if the sound and wifi is perfectly fine on the Plus then I'm not against getting that instead.

Edit: I can also save money on the RAM and forget about VLP if I don't need to put a fan underneath the cooler

Last edited:

Asus Maximus Impact VII
Intel Core i5 4690K
Noctua NH-C14
Silverstone 600W SFX
Windows 8.1

Looks good to me. Just keep in mind that you will need to mount your 3.5" drive on the bottom of the case, since the C14 cooler will block use of the side HDD rack (I'm assuming that's what you had planned, since you mentioned 2x 120mm side fans). Think the WD Green & Red are more suited for secondary storage, but I would imagine the Blue would be fine. Maybe even consider one of their 1TB+ 2.5" drives for storage (either piggybacked to the 840 Evo using the included bracket, or behind the front cover).. this will keep any heat from a bottom mounted HDD from rising into the GPU, and will avoid having power and data cables running to separate locations. Just a thought, though.

I think your 2x GTs on the side should be fine.. you can always add more later if you think it's necessary. Not sure which speed.. ~1400 seems fast enough for 120mm. Maybe go for the PWM version and connect them to a 4-pin splitter, connected to the CPU fan header on the Impact VII (should be the only proper PWM header on the board). GTs are supposed to be good.. I personally like Nocs.. lots of good choices out there. I'd definitely recommend filters on any intake area.. for your side fans and bottom GPU fan/s, and PSU (if fan's facing outward). The Demci's are very nice and worth the money (will save you time cleaning and cans of compressed air). Blower on the GPU is recommended for this case, so probably a good idea (heard the cheaper EVGA 970s with the v1.0 ACX cooler are very loud). If pricing is a concern, there are cheaper 970s with blower coolers that don't look like the Titan cooler (which isn't actually a Titan cooler).

I'd still stick with the VLP (or at least LP).. will make your install easier. EDIT: And consider 2x 8GB, or at least 1x 8GB and a second stick later. You've only got 2 slots, and RAM prices go up more than they go down.

Just some opinions, your mileage may vary. Good luck, and enjoy your build! ;)

(And EDIT: Lol.. I'm always posting stuff at the *exact* same time as Phuncz & WiSK for some reason =)

Last edited:
At the moment, I wouldn't recommend the VII Impact as the hands-down best board. Enough people on that board's topic have complained about quality issues, some design flaws and some irritating properties you're stuck with. The software might behave but plenty have issues with it to the point it becomes unusable or more of a pain than it is useful.

In my opinion, while owning one, I feel content with it, if it would have cost half of what it is going for now. Because I have a hard time with a $ 240 mITX motherboard when $ 120 boards don't have these issues.

I'd recommend looking at Gigabyte's and MSI's offerings too.

About the RAM: you don't need VLP, but it makes your life easier with more heatsink orientations, now or later. I'd personally recommend 16GB (2x 8GB) because DDR3 isn't likely to become cheaper now that DDR4 is gaining ground.

The 1TB 3,5" HDD seems wasted, with 6TB 3,5" drives available (and 4TB affordable), also the 2,5" 1TB drives cost about the same as the 3,5" but are much easier to install in the Ncase M1.

Last edited:
Thank you both so much for your input, that really helped.

For the HDD I had been under the impression a 3.5" would fit in the front TBH, so I'm changing it out for a Western Digital 2.5", which will fit. Thanks for the heads up! I still think the 250GB SSD and 1TB HDD is enough for a while, especially since upgrading to a 2.5" 2TB doubles the price. If I run out in a couple of years I can always change it or buy another SSD or something

Since you both recommended the 16GB I think I'll go with the Crucial VLP. I'm assuming that will keep me going through the early DDR4 era?

And since I'm spending more on that I might go with the Asus Z97i-Plus to save the arguably unnecessary money I was going to spend on the Impact VII. I'm assuming the sound and wifi will be perfectly fine

I'll also order some filters and a PWM fan splitter. Thanks again

At the moment, I wouldn't recommend the VII Impact as the hands-down best board. Enough people on that board's topic have complained about quality issues, some design flaws and some irritating properties you're stuck with. The software might behave but plenty have issues with it to the point it becomes unusable or more of a pain than it is useful.

In my opinion, while owning one, I feel content with it, if it would have cost half of what it is going for now. Because I have a hard time with a $ 240 mITX motherboard when $ 120 boards don't have these issues.

I'd recommend looking at Gigabyte's and MSI's offerings too.

About the RAM: you don't need VLP, but it makes your life easier with more heatsink orientations, now or later. I'd personally recommend 16GB (2x 8GB) because DDR3 isn't likely to become cheaper now that DDR4 is gaining ground.

The 1TB 3,5" HDD seems wasted, with 6TB 3,5" drives available (and 4TB affordable), also the 2,5" 1TB drives cost about the same as the 3,5" but are much easier to install in the Ncase M1.

What about the EVGA Stinger board? They also now have a wifi version. Almost no one talks about this board, but I think the board looks fantastic. A bit expensive, but people are getting solid overclocks on it. BIOS information is sparse though.

Sure I guess. The Z77 version received a lot of critique and not a lot of experiences are known on this forum about the Z87 or the Z97 versions.

And between the msu z97i gaming ac, gigabyte ga-z97n gaming and the evga stinger. Which one would you choose to replace the VII?

All three have their merits. I suggest you look through the specifications of all three, choose which has your highest preference and choose accordingly. If one or the other is more than $20 cheaper, I'd probably go for that one.

I wouldn't bother with 3,5" drives inside of the case either, especially seeing as space is at a premium and they probably will only add noise.

At the moment I am looking at the viability of connecting an external enclosure just below the desk to keep the top clean with just a mouse, speakers and the M1 and keep the bulk of the data out of view and out of earshot.
Probably something like the Sharkoon 5-BAY RAID Box. 5x 6TB :D
Initial reviews seem promising. 3-5 HDDs and it will do 140MB/s over eSata which is plenty fast for storage. Hopefully USB 3.0 does similar speeds.

All three have their merits. I suggest you look through the specifications of all three, choose which has your highest preference and choose accordingly. If one or the other is more than $20 cheaper, I'd probably go for that one.

Do you think is worth buying the Impact VI if i can buy it at half the price of the Impact VII? Or it's better to buy the latest and forget it for a long time. I will be using a 4790k

Do you think is worth buying the Impact VI if i can buy it at half the price of the Impact VII? Or it's better to buy the latest and forget it for a long time. I will be using a 4790k

The older Impact VI will run the 4790k just fine. Unless you plan on using an M.2 drive or prefer support for next year's Broadwell-K chips, the Z87 Impact VI is still a great choice if the price is low enough. Right now it's only $40 cheaper than the Impact VII in the US (16% lower and requires rebates for most of the discount), which I personally don't think is quite enough of a savings to choose over the newer Impact VII.

I'm guessing the Impact VII is selling for well over MSRP in your country right now?

Yes, the VII is like $380 and the VI $162,5 or $195. Is a big difference..i think i will buy the VI.
Thanks!

Yes, the VII is like $380 and the VI $162,5 or $195. Is a big difference..i think i will buy the VI.
Thanks!

No prob.. just be sure to update the BIOS, so it will recognize the 4790k (LINK). You'll have to do this without CPU or RAM installed, so either do it before you install the board in the M1, or plan your build steps accordingly.

Two GTs will cool a non-overclocked system just fine. You could get by with the 1450 or even lower then that. Having a 3rd fan sitting under the heatsink will help cool the motherboard and its VRMs much better tho.

I think filters and dust are up to you. I think the stock lian li filters are fine but i've bought the Demciflex as well. It depends on the amount of dust you have in the house.

I'd go for the Titan cooler but it depends on the price. I've had the 980 and 780 with titan coolers in my case and i'm totally happy with them.

Thanks, although I think that 'Titan' GPU I linked originally is a refurb job from Overclockers UK, not sure if it'll be worth the extra money. I was actually wondering - although a blower is recommended - the new 970s draw considerably less power and presumably generate less heat, so could I not just get an EVGA ACX 970 and be done with it? Hard to tell without people testing it I guess

Thanks, although I think that 'Titan' GPU I linked originally is a refurb job from Overclockers UK, not sure if it'll be worth the extra money. I was actually wondering - although a blower is recommended - the new 970s draw considerably less power and presumably generate less heat, so could I not just get an EVGA ACX 970 and be done with it? Hard to tell without people testing it I guess
The 'Titan' 970 from OCUK is a Manli GTX 970. It's the 970 chip plonked onto a reference 980 PCB (with all the 980's power delivery circuitry) and the 980 NVTTM variant (a trio of 'fat' heatpipes in place of the vapour chamber of the original Titan cooler). You could theoretically take a Titan NVTTM and drop it straight on if you really wanted to, but unless the max TDP limit is raised considerably from the current 110%, there's no way you could even get even close to generating the 250w of heat the Titan NVTTM was designed to deal with.

According to the OCUK forum staff they've swapped some coils to potted variants to reduce potential coil whine. I've asked them about if the card will allow for a higher maximum TDP or unsigned BIOSes to be flashed, but no reply yet.

Hey every one. I recently finished a build in a v2 with two 240 rads in it, a gtx 780/water block and, an apogee drive 2. I was trying to decide if i should do a build log or not, there is so many... Would you guys be interested?

Hey every one. I recently finished a build in a v2 with two 240 rads in it, a gtx 780/water block and, an apogee drive 2. I was trying to decide if i should do a build log or not, there is so many... Would you guys be interested?

Yes of course!! but a build log is quite boring but will be helpful for all..
images and videos would be best mate!

Yes please:D There are many build logs but only one other, that i know of, with two rads. Some cpu/gpu temps would be great too. Have you seen temps better than what people here have been posting for their single 240 stups? There are lots of 780s so a fairly direct comparison should be possible.

I'm interested in seeying the build too !

Have you seen temps better than what people here have been posting for their single 240 stups?
A single GTX 780 can't put out enough "load" on single 240mm radiator to go above 80°C (*) or you are overvolting the crap out of the card. My toasty stock R9 290X and stock i5-4670K in the same loop doesn't even hit 65°C with a stock H220 setup and fans at a reasonable level.

The only reason I'd see use for more than a single 240mm radiator in the Ncase is lowering noise but I doubt that would help much with slim fans. You are basically extending the buffer the water cooling setup offers because of doubling the mass.

(*) I mention 80°C because it is below the level the GPU will start to throttle and it doesn't matter a thing in performance if it's -80°C or +80°C. I see many people focussing on lowering temps or going for the lowest possible temps, but hardware is not designed for this, it's designed with a 85-95°C thermal limit (depends on hardware).

I'm interested in seeying the build too !

A single GTX 780 can't put out enough "load" on single 240mm radiator to go above 80°C (*) or you are overvolting the crap out of the card. My toasty stock R9 290X and stock i5-4670K in the same loop doesn't even hit 65°C with a stock H220 setup and fans at a reasonable level.

The only reason I'd see use for more than a single 240mm radiator in the Ncase is lowering noise but I doubt that would help much with slim fans. You are basically extending the buffer the water cooling setup offers because of doubling the mass.

(*) I mention 80°C because it is below the level the GPU will start to throttle and it doesn't matter a thing in performance if it's -80°C or +80°C. I see many people focussing on lowering temps or going for the lowest possible temps, but hardware is not designed for this, it's designed with a 85-95°C thermal limit (depends on hardware).

Cant't argue with that after both yours and numerous others' results. The reason for asking is that I am curius about hom much effect that bottom radiator actually have with the limitation of airflow and slim fans.

Yeah I'm curious too about those results :) If the Ncase was about 30mm taller from the bottom, it would make more sense, but then I'd still guess it would be arguable if it really matters.

The fact that It's actually doable is more of a point than the number of degrees you can lower temps i would think. Hell, most cases this size struggle to fit a 120 aio. Lots of bragging rights with two 240 rads in a 12.6L case.

Yeah indeed, it's thanks to Necere's efficient design that it's even possible. Although the Compact Splash offers better support for a second radiator (although 120mm), it is also a different case.

I did a quick search but did not find anything in this thread. Has anyone tried using the Biostar H81MHV3 mobo for their build? It's marketed as a micro-ATX board but the dimensions are within mDTX standards.

Finally got my build done. :D

DFcGwnJ.jpg

nqfrcPP.jpg

kUjl36w.jpg

My Rig :
CPU: Intel i7-4790K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII IMPACT
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
HDD: Hitachi 1TB 2.5"
Video Card: R9 290 Ref with Arctic Accelero Xtreme III