NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I received an email that the M1 was available to order. I clicked the order button within 90 minutes of the email and its currently sold out.

Anyone else get notified?

Recommended motherboards for the Ryzen 3000 series in M1?

Right now you have a whopping two choices; the Gigabyte ITX mobo w/ two M.2 slots, or the ASRock ITX mobo w/ one M.2 slot & one TB3 port...

ASUS should have their Strix ITX & ROG mDTX boards out towards the end of this month or early September (he said ever so hopefully)...

Oh, and there might be a Biostar ITX offering...?

I received an email that the M1 was available to order. I clicked the order button within 90 minutes of the email and its currently sold out.

Anyone else get notified?
A few preorder slots opened up due to cancellations. A bunch of people complained about the notifications so w360 has disabled them for now. When the second round of preorders goes live there will be plenty of time to get an order in (days-weeks).

A few preorder slots opened up due to cancellations. A bunch of people complained about the notifications so w360 has disabled them for now. When the second round of preorders goes live there will be plenty of time to get an order in (days-weeks).

Thanks for the explaination - I know they go fast, but to miss it in 90 minutes late at night was pretty discouraging.

Right now you have a whopping two choices; the Gigabyte ITX mobo w/ two M.2 slots, or the ASRock ITX mobo w/ one M.2 slot & one TB3 port...

ASUS should have their Strix ITX & ROG mDTX boards out towards the end of this month or early September (he said ever so hopefully)...

Oh, and there might be a Biostar ITX offering...?

Good to know, thanks. Looking into that Asus that's due out soon...

Almost seems like the B450 chipset would be a better way to go for 3900X. I'm not planning to do much overclocking, and 20+ second post times sound like the norm on X570. I don't like that. PCI 4 would be nice, but likely not particularly useful in real world applications for some time. And it comes with a hotter chipset and chipset fan.

Would DDR4 2666 be sufficient on 3900X without an overclock, or would I benefit from faster memory. I know AMD recommends higher, but it's not clear if that recommendation comes with overclocking in mind.

So I have been mulling a replacement for my 5820k in my NCase and I dunno about pricing wise 3700x vs a 9700k:
I'd re-use my NH-C14 heatsink, etc.

For $30-$50 more it seems like I get a consistently better gaming performance going with the 9700k, right?

3700x for $330
Mobo for $170. If I go to a 450 mobo maybe I get this down to $125 for a mini itx board
Memory for $95 (corsair LPX 3600 MHz)
~ $550-$590

9700k for $360
mobo for $125
Memory for $95 (corsair LPX 3600 MHz)
~ $580

Multitasking and other apps which have benefit of more cores go with AMD. If mainly gaming and you want to get the highest fps as possible go with INTEL. But it depends on your settings, if you have like a 4K 60 Hz screen you can go for the AMD any time, no benefit with INTEL in this case. If you have more CPU limiting high fps demanding games and lower screen resolution, go with INTEL. In any case it will be upgrade to your previous setup.

Almost seems like the B450 chipset would be a better way to go for 3900X. I'm not planning to do much overclocking, and 20+ second post times sound like the norm on X570. I don't like that. PCI 4 would be nice, but likely not particularly useful in real world applications for some time. And it comes with a hotter chipset and chipset fan.

Would DDR4 2666 be sufficient on 3900X without an overclock, or would I benefit from faster memory. I know AMD recommends higher, but it's not clear if that recommendation comes with overclocking in mind.

If I understand the reviewers correctly you want 3000 or better. If you plan to overclock get the new 3600 to play it safe. I wouldnt try 2666.

If I understand the reviewers correctly you want 3000 or better. If you plan to overclock get the new 3600 to play it safe. I wouldnt try 2666.

Thanks, good to know. 3200 seems like the sweet spot price-wise right now. I'd like to upgrade to 32GB, but there are very few 2 x 16 3600 kits.

Anyone know if RTX 2060 super (Gigabyte 2x Windforce) will work with Accelero Xtreme iii in M1 v6?

Will the V6 still have the option for the old front panel I/O without the USB-C port? ITX mobos with a USB-C header are slim pickings.

You could use either a dummy plug or a variety of header solutions (19pin to Type E adapters, a M.2-->Type E chain of adapters, etc).

That being said, is the V5's I/O panel removable and compatible? You could probably find someone who is interested in upgrading, if so.

Will the V6 still have the option for the old front panel I/O without the USB-C port? ITX mobos with a USB-C header are slim pickings.
No, front I/O with USB C will be the only option. You're not losing any functionality by having it, though I understand some people may be bothered to have a nonfunctional port there.

That being said, is the V5's I/O panel removable and compatible? You could probably find someone who is interested in upgrading, if so.
While the V6 front I/O is backward compatible with previous versions, the V5 front I/O is not forward compatible, unfortunately.

[...]

While the V6 front I/O is backward compatible with previous versions, the V5 front I/O is not forward compatible, unfortunately.
Thanks for the information about the compatibility; I'm already accruing the requisite adapters to use all three ports with my current board (ASRock Z270), and hopefully my next board will have all of the requisite headers :D

Maybe someone knows, my Mainboard also has no usb 3.1gen2 usb header on board but my rear io has usb c 3.1gen2 thunderbolt..... Isn't there a cabel to us the rear io route it inside the case and plug in the front panel header

All I can find is the normal male to female adapter or USB 3 to usb c but no usb c male to usb 3.1gen2 female (Mainboard plug)

Maybe someone knows, my Mainboard also has no usb 3.1gen2 usb header on board but my rear io has usb c 3.1gen2 thunderbolt..... Isn't there a cabel to us the rear io route it inside the case and plug in the front panel header

All I can find is the normal male to female adapter or USB 3 to usb c but no usb c male to usb 3.1gen2 female (Mainboard plug)

Some info here:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...e-e-header-for-front-panel-usb-c.11191/page-2

I'm looking into a 3900X and want a motherboard compatible with the USB-C front panel. There are hardly any choices.

Do you have the ASRock X570 ITX board, out of curiosity?

Sorry if I was unclear about what I want to try, I preordert the v6 and was thinking how I could use the USB c front panel, it's not a must and I don't intend to change the mobo

I have a asrock fatal1ty mini itx z370

Don't want to use a usb3 to usb c or a m. 2 to usb,

My Mainboard got USB c on the rear io, if I can get a cabel plug it into the usbc port route it inside the case and plug in the cabel for the front usbc.....

So the cabel would be usbc male to type e header, but it seems such a cabel doesn't exist

I have odd request to Necere: It would be possible to get sketch with dimensions and location of CD slot?
I got myself M1 V3 and it have all mounting hardware but missing opening in top cover.

Fellow enthousiasts! My ncase build is finally in a working state, but the GPU is making way too much noise for my likings. I've got a Gigabyte RTX 2080 Windforce and the temps ramp up to 76 max with the fans running at 75%. I've been looking at the cooler for a long time and came across the following video which gave me an idea to improve temps and noise! (windforce repair vid). I can remove the shroud and fans of the GPU and the heatsink of the GPU has no upstanding mounting parts like a lot of GPU's do have. This means I can attach some fat noctuas (nf-a12x25) beneath it and I'm positive it will improve temps and noise big time. Just need to get some proper tools so I can remove the shroud and fans without having to remove the entire heatsink from the gpu (will void warranty). I have some questions though:
  1. Does anyone know if the fan connector on the card that currently is powering 3 default fans, will be able to power two noctua pwm fans?
  2. Should I run the fans as exhaust (just like everyone is doing with the arctic accelero) or run them as intake?

Fellow enthousiasts! My ncase build is finally in a working state, but the GPU is making way too much noise for my likings. I've got a Gigabyte RTX 2080 Windforce and the temps ramp up to 76 max with the fans running at 75%. I've been looking at the cooler for a long time and came across the following video which gave me an idea to improve temps and noise! (windforce repair vid). I can remove the shroud and fans of the GPU and the heatsink of the GPU has no upstanding mounting parts like a lot of GPU's do have. This means I can attach some fat noctuas (nf-a12x25) beneath it and I'm positive it will improve temps and noise big time. Just need to get some proper tools so I can remove the shroud and fans without having to remove the entire heatsink from the gpu (will void warranty). I have some questions though:
  1. Does anyone know if the fan connector on the card that currently is powering 3 default fans, will be able to power two noctua pwm fans?
  2. Should I run the fans as exhaust (just like everyone is doing with the arctic accelero) or run them as intake?

I did something very similar with an EVGA card. I just kept the shroud but changed the fans.

1. I see no problem in powering 2 fans instead of 3, as load will probably decrease. One observation I have is that I had to tune the fan curve, as my card seems to control RPM instead of a % load of the max speed. The original fans were 3000 RPMs and my noctuas are 1700. SO 57% fan speed is actually 100%.
2. Exaust provides best results for the accelero, but i guess it depends on the rest of the system. In my case i could not do exaust, but even as intake results are great. At very high loads i get at most 64 C at 800 RPM. GTX 1070.

I'm considering migrating from a Silverstone Ml08 to the Ncase at the next preorder. The initial build will by my trusty 7700k @ 4.8Ghz and EVGA FTW3 GTX1080 but I'm planning a move to a Ryzen 3600 or 3700x or a 9700k setup shortly after. What cooling options should I be planning on? It will be sitting on my desk so I'll want it to be fairly quiet.

I'm considering migrating from a Silverstone Ml08 to the Ncase at the next preorder. The initial build will by my trusty 7700k @ 4.8Ghz and EVGA FTW3 GTX1080 but I'm planning a move to a Ryzen 3600 or 3700x or a 9700k setup shortly after. What cooling options should I be planning on? It will be sitting on my desk so I'll want it to be fairly quiet.
Please check compatibility carefully. That card is too tall for the M1.

Please check compatibility carefully. That card is too tall for the M1.

Hmm strange, the ML08 can only handle 121mm of height and the 1080 fits with room to spare. I looked it up and it's actually a FTW2 so maybe it's a different sized card.

Hmm strange, the ML08 can only handle 121mm of height and the 1080 fits with room to spare. I looked it up and it's actually a FTW2 so maybe it's a different sized card.
EVGA lists 128.6mm for the FTW2, which leaves about 11mm to the side panel. Since the PCIe power connectors aren't recessed, you will likely need low profile connectors to clear the side panel (the standard connectors need 15-20mm).

I heard back from Noctua about the discrepancy between their website and ASRock's regarding C14S compatibility. Noctua found that the C14S does indeed fit the X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 and have updated their website.

I'm still unsure about the C14.

I heard back from Noctua about the discrepancy between their website and ASRock's regarding C14S compatibility. Noctua found that the C14S does indeed fit the X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 and have updated their website.

I'm still unsure about the C14.

Noctua says that yes, the C14 will fit as well, even with a 140mm fan on the bottom.

has anyone else striped the threads for the screw holes for the PCI slot as well as the back plate the goes on top of the PCI slot? both of mine stripped, the screws are fine, and wondered if anyone knows of a larger self tapering screw that might work. sizes or links would be helpful. Thanks

Attachments

• .png
    .png
    169.5 KB · Views: 0
yeah I stripped one, it’s a known issue and reported by Necere to be fixed in V6. Sadly I don’t have a solution for you

has anyone else striped the threads for the screw holes for the PCI slot as well as the back plate the goes on top of the PCI slot? both of mine stripped, the screws are fine, and wondered if anyone knows of a larger self tapering screw that might work. sizes or links would be helpful. Thanks

Me too, I stripped one of my PCI slot screw holes. I'm fine using just the other one, otherwise I think your only option is washer+nut (ideally a rubber washer to avoid stripping the paint)... You gotta be very careful with these screws and not overtighten them.

dumb question, but is it ok to put a non-blower style RTX 2070 into this case?

I've tried to always put blower style GPUs in there but I couldn't pass up the deal on this PNY rtx 2070 xlr8. The whole case heats up when I game... right now there's no case fans either, just a Corsair water cooler for my CPU

dumb question, but is it ok to put a non-blower style RTX 2070 into this case?

I've tried to always put blower style GPUs in there but I couldn't pass up the deal on this PNY rtx 2070 xlr8. The whole case heats up when I game... right now there's no case fans either, just a Corsair water cooler for my CPU
I have a non-blower 2070 in my Ncase and it runs beautifully. Mine is an EVGA XC Gaming which is a two-fan open cooler and it's very quiet and runs as cool as you like. I stuck a couple of Noctua 120 x 15mm fans under mine which has helped - it doesn't necessarily make the card run cooler, but it does mean that the card's fans don't have to work so hard - although they're pretty quiet, they do get a bit loud when they really spin up, and by having a couple of virtually silent Noctuas underneath I can stop the GPU fans from ever getting loud enough to be noticeable.

GPU temperatures have definitely gone up a wee bit since I started using the 2070, but to be honest I find them completely tolerable and easy enough to regulate using a 120mm intake fan on the side panel and a 92mm exhaust fed by the U9S blowing front-to-back.

I have a non-blower 2070 in my Ncase and it runs beautifully. Mine is an EVGA XC Gaming which is a two-fan open cooler and it's very quiet and runs as cool as you like. I stuck a couple of Noctua 120 x 15mm fans under mine which has helped - it doesn't necessarily make the card run cooler, but it does mean that the card's fans don't have to work so hard - although they're pretty quiet, they do get a bit loud when they really spin up, and by having a couple of virtually silent Noctuas underneath I can stop the GPU fans from ever getting loud enough to be noticeable.

GPU temperatures have definitely gone up a wee bit since I started using the 2070, but to be honest I find them completely tolerable and easy enough to regulate using a 120mm intake fan on the side panel and a 92mm exhaust fed by the U9S blowing front-to-back.

Yeah I should probably add some case fans, which direction are your Noctua 120x15s facing blowing? I'm thinking of putting those fans there too as intake and then put an exhaust fan higher up. The other problem I have is my case's back is against a wall so the heat doesn't have a good exhaust path... oh well

Yeah I should probably add some case fans, which direction are your Noctua 120x15s facing blowing? I'm thinking of putting those fans there too as intake and then put an exhaust fan higher up. The other problem I have is my case's back is against a wall so the heat doesn't have a good exhaust path... oh well
Yeah, the 15s are intakes, the side panel fan is an intake, and the rear is an exhaust with the CPU cooler also pushing air from front to back.

My case is also backing onto the wall, but there's about 10cm between the case and the wall given that the power cable sticks out a fair bit and isn't very bendy.

Yeah, the 15s are intakes, the side panel fan is an intake, and the rear is an exhaust with the CPU cooler also pushing air from front to back.

My case is also backing onto the wall, but there's about 10cm between the case and the wall given that the power cable sticks out a fair bit and isn't very bendy.

thanks for the advice, just ordered the 2 Noctua 120s. Do they screw directly into the bottom plate of the M1?

thanks for the advice, just ordered the 2 Noctua 120s. Do they screw directly into the bottom plate of the M1?

There are mounting holes for two 120mm fans on the bottom. I'd mount them with some rubber fan mounts if you have them.

Have 140mm Noctua fan under my non-blower card currently, but I'm moving to 2 x 120 25mm fans.

There are mounting holes for two 120mm fans on the bottom. I'd mount them with some rubber fan mounts if you have them.

Have 140mm Noctua fan under my non-blower card currently, but I'm moving to 2 x 120 25mm fans.

got it, yeah I think the Noctuas come with rubber fan mounts. Why are you moving from the 140mm to the 2x120s?

got it, yeah I think the Noctuas come with rubber fan mounts. Why are you moving from the 140mm to the 2x120s?

The 140mm wasn't covering the whole length of my card, and I noticed at times the sides of my case at the non-fan end would get really hot. It's possible the temperature sensor is on part of the card the 140mm fan was cooling, thus causing the rest of the card to run hot.

Back