NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

You don't have to believe me, but I testet this. I oriented the bottom fans as intake and as exhaust and left everything other the same. Bottom exhaust resulted in better temperatures of CPU and GPU. And this is not only my personal experience. There are other users of this forum, who experienced the same.
Although not very comparable, with air-cooling I have witnessed the same in the Ncase M1: side as intake, bottom as exhaust performs best.

do you recommend a push or pull configuration on both radiators?
thx al007
I have a pull config at the bottom, because this is a lot easier to build. I did attach the fans to the bottom of the case an can slide the radiator in and out between the GPU and the fans without removing the GPU. I built it once with the radiator on the bottom, but then it has to sit at the bottom with contact to the rear because of the front I/O of the case. But if you then install the GPU, you won't be able to do without moving the rad to the front a little bit because of the DVI connector of the GPU on the second slot. So, you have to hold the radiator with one hand laying angled above the front i/O and with the other hand fiddling the GPU in and after that you have to slot in the radiator flat to the bottom with cables being in the way everywhere and eventually outstanding fittings ... No, that is a pain.
On the side radiator I have a push config for no good reason. I tried a push-pull config once, which was not too shabby, but then I used the slim fans on the bottom radiator. For a push-pull on the side I used:
25mm fan || EK slim rad 26mm || 15mm fan
As fittings I used 8mm extender and an (I think) older EK 90° angle. It was not possible with newer angles from EK or Bitspower. They were lacking 2-3mm in height.

Reactions: al007
like this
do you recommend a push or pull configuration on both radiators?
I can't say what works better, but not all radiators will fit on the bottom, so you might need to use fans on the case floor anyway.

Reactions: al007
like this
I think he means how long they need to be inside the ncase m1, cause the standard cables you get are prob way too long...

Depends on a lot of things. The PCIe cables are at least 5 cm too long, but the 8-pin EPS and the 24-pin ATX depend a lot on your motherboard. SATA power depends on the number and location of drives. No way for us to tell you what you need.

Depends on a lot of things. The PCIe cables are at least 5 cm too long, but the 8-pin EPS and the 24-pin ATX depend a lot on your motherboard. SATA power depends on the number and location of drives. No way for us to tell you what you need.
Alright here are specifics...

Motherboard: GA Z170N Gaming 5
As far as drives, two ssds on the front and two 3.5 drives in the bracket
Graphics card is MSI GTX 970

Alright here are specifics...

Motherboard: GA Z170N Gaming 5
As far as drives, two ssds on the front and two 3.5 drives in the bracket
Graphics card is MSI GTX 970

Given the location of the 8-pin, you probably can't shorten it much if at all. The 24-pin could probably do with a few cm less.
Can't say what lengths you need for the drives, don't know the distance between the bracket and the front, but you should definitely mod them to have the connectors right up against each other to avoid this:

can you not get custom cables made to length? or bite the bullet and mod yours to length? on something as cheap as a psu I would! who needs warranties?!

can you not get custom cables made to length? or bite the bullet and mod yours to length? on something as cheap as a psu I would! who needs warranties?!
I can, that's why I'm asking about lengths. In the event that I do decide to get custom cables, I'd like to order them before the case arrives so I don't have to wait

isn't it hard to measure length without it in front of you? everyones system is different so you cant really get other peoples measurements and have them accurate. youd be best off building it, measuring and order the cables then swap them out when they arrive. that way your up and running until they get to you. or mod them to length yourself.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Good to hear the Dark Rock tf is a good cpu cooler! I know the noctua's are almost always good in general, but I've never liked the looks of them. Like you guys are also saying, I read that the Dark Rock tf is not compatible with all mobo's. Do you might happen to know if the cooler is compatible with the following mobo 'Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe'. I'm worried because this specific mobo has that extra vertical PCB, see pics.

Edit, just found this old reply! Maybe you could also reply how this turned out? Did the cooler fit, yes or no :)?

Did you get it to work??!!

What cpu air cooler should i get with the asus p8z77-i deluxe/wd, that can have and HDD next to it?

Dark rock TF, Scythe Kabuto II, Other?

Got so hyped when I received a shipping update email only to be mocked with a notice saying it would be shipping from the 11th to 13th lol. Oh well the wait won't be long and it'll be worth it.

Got so hyped when I received a shipping update email only to be mocked with a notice saying it would be shipping from the 11th to 13th lol. Oh well the wait won't be long and it'll be worth it.

Yeah I just got the email too, just glad to know they didn't forget about me.

Did you get it to work??!!

What cpu air cooler should i get with the asus p8z77-i deluxe/wd, that can have and HDD next to it?

Dark rock TF, Scythe Kabuto II, Other?

So the Dark Rock TF just barely doesnt fit, the heatpipes push the ram a little bit, probably ok but I really dont want to chance it.

Moving the gpu down one slot works with the heatpipes pointing down perfectly. So now,

What PCIE Extender should I get to move it down to the bottom slot?

I just pre-ordered this case. Does anyone know if AIO cooler or Air cooler works better in it? Have a H100i v2 atm, but was looking at a Dark Rock TF

I just pre-ordered this case. Does anyone know if AIO cooler or Air cooler works better in it? Have a H100i v2 atm, but was looking at a Dark Rock TF
Both can work well, it just depends on what other parts you're using and what your priorities are.

I should note that the H100i v2 is the same as the H100i GTX (for fitment purposes, at least), and it's not a good fit for the M1 due to the lack of swivel barbs on the pump, and long/stiff tubing. The original H100i or any number of other Asetek-based AIOs from other manufacturers are a better choice.

Last edited:
Thank you. I just opened the spread sheet off the mainwebsite and noticed that users had listed the H100i v2 to have inflexible tubes. I don't really want to bother anyone , but if there are any people following the 400+ pages in this thread and build logs..... can I possibly get some info whether there is some concenus at to what one of the best performing air coolers & water coolers (AIO, not custom) is for this case?

I saw the Noctua UH-9S being listed as compatibility in the spreadsheet and a good performer. I figured by now the community would have used so many air coolers , they would be a general decision as to what works best at this point. I will be using the mITX Asrock x99e motherboard with a gtx1080 and corsair sfx600 psu. The ram, will be Corsair Lowprofile Vengeance unless you guys have any opinions on the best low profile ram for this ncase?

sorry for the n00bish questions

Thank you. I just opened the spread sheet off the mainwebsite and noticed that users had listed the H100i v2 to have inflexible tubes. I don't really want to bother anyone , but if there are any people following the 400+ pages in this thread and build logs..... can I possibly get some info whether there is some concenus at to what one of the best performing air coolers & water coolers (AIO, not custom) is for this case?

I saw the Noctua UH-9S being listed as compatibility in the spreadsheet and a good performer. I figured by now the community would have used so many air coolers , they would be a general decision as to what works best at this point. I will be using the mITX Asrock x99e motherboard with a gtx1080 and corsair sfx600 psu. The ram, will be Corsair Lowprofile Vengeance unless you guys have any opinions on the best low profile ram for this ncase?

For that ASRock board you'll want to make sure whichever cooler you use supports the narrow ILM socket. I believe Noctua will provide a narrow ILM bracket on request for their coolers, so the NH-U9S might be a good choice. It has the advantage of being no larger than the socket footprint, so there's no worry about RAM clearance. The height of the cooler will prevent a 120mm fan from being mounted on the side-rear position of the fan bracket, but the side-front position is still open, which is a good place for an intake fan (example).

I dont know if the Swiftech h220 support that X99 Itx MB, but the swiftech h220 is probably the best AIO cooler you can fit in the Ncase M1 without any issues! and for a bonus the swiftech h220 can be expanded in the future if you want to add a GPU to the loop :)

I was wondering, would the swiftech h220x fit, when you rotate it so the pump/res combo is in front of the motherboard? CPU cooler clearance is 130mm from MB to side bracket, and the Fans/Rad/Res/pump uis 115mm in total height?

Hey all, I'm thinking of buying this case. The website says the next shipping date is 2016-MAY-25. How long do you think shipping will take by TW AIR1 to the UK? I have to leave the UK on June 10th (2 weeks after that date), do you think it will arrive within 2 weeks after the shipping date?

Thanks. Also if this is the wrong place to post, please redirect me

Are you planning to overclock? If so then full water cooling is going to give you the coolest temps obviously. If you are just wanting it at stock or a mild overclock then something like the UH-9S will do fine. The original NH-C14 is/was the air hsf king until they discontinued it. Right now everyone is looking for the next best air hsf but nothing has become the go to air hsf because they all have pros and cons when it comes to the M1 case. Some require giving up the hdd cage and others don't. Also there is the mobo compatibility issue as well.

Choices for AIO are H50/60/70/80i/100i and there is the Asetek 545lc 90mm(which can only be bought on ebay it seems). Check the ASRock x99e thread for what others have been using for that particular mobo because some are using it in a M1 case.

Edit: Some people have used the H105 unit as well. May want to look into that.

Last edited:
Are you planning to overclock? If so then full water cooling is going to give you the coolest temps obviously. If you are just wanting it at stock or a mild overclock then something like the UH-9S will do fine. The original NH-C14 is/was the air hsf king until they discontinued it. Right now everyone is looking for the next best air hsf but nothing has become the go to air hsf because they all have pros and cons when it comes to the M1 case. Some require giving up the hdd cage and others don't. Also there is the mobo compatibility issue as well.

Choices for AIO are H50/60/70/80i/100i and there is the Asetek 545lc 90mm(which can only be bought on ebay it seems). Check the ASRock x99e thread for what others have been using for that particular mobo because some are using it in a M1 case.

Edit: Some people have used the H105 unit as well. May want to look into that.

Do only the corsair vengeance LPX have stability issues? what about hyper X? would I be better off getting higher speed rated (MHz) sticks or lower timings? I never know whether to simply purchase the highest 3200Mhz+ speed of RAM and pay the $$$ premium or to just get lower timings

Yes I'm planning to overclock. I have an new H100i v2 but apparently that doesn't fit. I will have the asrock x99e mITX. It doesn't need to be an insane Overclock, but definitely as high as possible. I will be putting a gtx1080 in there too.

I won't be using any HDDS, only a m.2 and SSD850 pro.

Do all CPU coolers, whether air or water need this so called narrow "ILM" socket to even attach to the x99 mITX board? are there any coolers that come with it stock or will i have to purchase this socket off ebay/amazon?

Last edited:
There seems to be an issue with my M1.

Bought it last July but only did a build of it this week.

The case does not seem to feed power from the built in power cable. I've verified this by testing 2 power supplies externally plugged and also plugged using the internal power cable.

It's obviously not the headers etc since I can power on the pc as long as I'm not supplying power through the internal cable.

Anyone know a fix?

Do only the corsair vengeance LPX have stability issues? what about hyper X? would I be better off getting higher speed rated (MHz) sticks or lower timings? I never know whether to simply purchase the highest 3200Mhz+ speed of RAM and pay the $$$ premium or to just get lower timings

Yes I'm planning to overclock. I have an new H100i v2 but apparently that doesn't fit. I will have the asrock x99e mITX. It doesn't need to be an insane Overclock, but definitely as high as possible. I will be putting a gtx1080 in there too.

Do all CPU coolers, whether air or water need this so called narrow "ILM" socket to even attach to the x99 mITX board? are there any coolers that come with it stock or will i have to purchase this socket off ebay/amazon?

I'm running Corsair LPX 3200s at their rated speed without any issues at all on my Asrock X99 ITX.
Ripjaw Vs work fine as do Corsair Dominators, neither of which are on the supported memory list :)

Narrow ILM is quite different to the stanard LGA2011-3 - you will need a separate adaptor. I don't think any AIO kits come bundled with one?

Theres a good summary of compatible coolers here:
http://www.overclock.net/t//lga-201...one-liquid-cooler-compatibility#post_25093300

I'm using those Vengeance LPX on a Maximus VIII Impact mobo without a problem. I'm not yet overclocking it however. Stress testing showed no problems for me. How well they work with the x99 mobo I don't know since I have never used that mobo. I've never used Hyperx ram but I hear they are good. I tend to use Corsair ram more than any other brand. Anything relating to the X99 mobo I have to refer to my betters about that. I have no experience with it. I did read a lot about it because I had considered putting it in my latest M1 build but opted to go with a 6700k instead of the 5820.

Since you are using a m.2 ssd and nothing else that is going to make using your M1 with just about any kind of cooling much easier fit wise in relation to hdd cage and so forth. That ILM bracket you are referring to is only used on the ASRock x99 mobo from what I have been hearing. Getting it is easy you just have to ask for it or so I have read here on this thread and on the X99 mobo thread. Again I would refer you to the ASRock X99 mobo thread for more specifics.

I hope this has helped.

I'm running Corsair LPX 3200s at their rated speed without any issues at all on my Asrock X99 ITX.
Ripjaw Vs work fine as do Corsair Dominators, neither of which are on the supported memory list :)

Narrow ILM is quite different to the stanard LGA2011-3 - you will need a separate adaptor. I don't think any AIO kits come bundled with one?

Theres a good summary of compatible coolers here:
http://www.overclock.net/t//lga-201...one-liquid-cooler-compatibility#post_25093300

Thank you for that oclock.net thread dude, that is going to help me alot. You guys are helpful over here.

Did you run XMP on those vengeance RAM or did you have to input the speed/voltage/timings manually? what cooler are you using on your 5820k/ncase m1? did you have any issue clearing the vengeance ram?

Why the heck did AsRock use the narrow ILM if that's apparently a server type thing? Are the z170 (skylake) mITX mobos using it too? or is it just x99 miTX? .....and again, why?

Thank you for that oclock.net thread dude, that is going to help me alot. You guys are helpful over here.

Did you run XMP on those vengeance RAM or did you have to input the speed/voltage/timings manually? what cooler are you using on your 5820k/ncase m1? did you have any issue clearing the vengeance ram?

Why the heck did AsRock use the narrow ILM if that's apparently a server type thing? Are the z170 (skylake) mITX mobos using it too? or is it just x99 miTX? .....and again, why?

Its only that Asrock X99 which does, the New skylake MB support LGA 1151 which is the same socket type as the 115x so pretty much every cooler support that :)

My guess: The LGA 2011-3 socket is larger than the 115x sockets and given the small surface area of a miniITX motherboard and Asrock's decision to not put the M.2 socket and drive area on the rear of the motherboard, the only way to fit everything on the front was to use the narrower version of the CPU socket.

Yep - just XMP and they run perfectly.

I'm using a 5960X in mine @ 4.6.
I've used the following coolers on this board:

- Noctua NHC14 (air)
- AquaComputer Kryos
- Swiftech Apogee Drive II (had to custom make mounts to suit)
- BitsPower MonoBlock (current)

I needed low profile for the Noctua and Swiftech, but with the others you could use any height without issue.

Narrow ILM is typically in server only for X99. It's used to maximise the board space, and with the larger chips from LGA2011 AND a small ITX board it makes sense as you'd lose too much area with the standard socket mount.

There seems to be an issue with my M1.
Bought it last July but only did a build of it this week.
The case does not seem to feed power from the built in power cable. I've verified this by testing 2 power supplies externally plugged and also plugged using the internal power cable.
It's obviously not the headers etc since I can power on the pc as long as I'm not supplying power through the internal cable.
Anyone know a fix?
I think is saw this mentioned a few pages(482) back. there was a batch of faulty cable it think. contact Necere or Wahaha360 they'll sort it out.

if you approach the [H] respectfully we are all kinds of helpful. some people come in with such a shitty attitude you just want to reach threw the internet and throttle them!

Last edited:
I think is saw this mentioned a few pages(482) back. there was a batch of faulty cable it think. contact Necere or Wahaha360 they'll sort it out.

if you approach the [H] respectfully we are all kinds of helpful. some people come in with such a shitty attitude you just want to reach threw the internet and throttle them!

Thank you sir. So now I'm starting to understand all of this jazz resulting the issues with ASRock x99e ITX + ncase m1 users, and finding suitable coolers for their narrow ILM socket LGA2011-v3.

I still haven't ordered the AsRock x99e ITX yet, the board is about $250~ (I have an i7 5820k I will be transplating into my Ncase m1).

However, I can purchase an i5 6600k (skylake lga 1151) with motherboard mITX bundle for about ~$350.

Do any of you guys recommend that to avoid all this x99E ITX narrow ILM socket I simply pay the extra $50~ or so and pickup a Skylake i5 + mobo that uses sqaure ILM and ease of cooler compatiblity?

...Or would it be simply a huge downgrade over the 5820k? Let me know, I'm kinda torn because the Ncase m1 is a super small case to begin with and the cooler issues with x99e ITX are making me nervous aswell.

Hey everyone,

I just purchased an Ncase M1 and am planning on doing a build at the beginning of June. I just wanted to ask a few questions to clear a few things up as this is my first ITX build. Here is a list of my planned components:

CPU - Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard - Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
SSD - Mushkin Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card - Nvidia 1080. I am thinking the reference blower card but currently it seems like they are going to be selling the reference card as a "Founders Edition" for 100$ more than the regular edition. I am not sure if any other third party sellers will sell the reference cooler for cheaper.
PSU - Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply

I am not 100% set on the motherboard. I was also looking at the Asus Impact III or the ASrock Fatality board but they are a little more expensive. I do plan to do some mild overclocking eventually but not for awhile. I will also be using this PC mainly for gaming. Does anyone have any input on motherboard choice? Another thing I was curious about is fan placement. While using a blower card would it be worth it to put 2 intake fans on the bottom of the case? Also with the H105, I am assuming I would want the fans to be set as intake as well? With all of these intake fans would I want to put a small exhaust fan on the rear? I am not really sure on the best way to orient the fans for achieving decent airflow. If anyone has any other suggestions or input it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I can tell you why I went 6700k over the 5820 and the x99E mobo.

1. There is only one mitx mobo (x99E) and it had some issues like cooling set up. If we had more choices maybe I would have gone with the 5820.
2. I'm a gamer. I don't really need the 5820. If I did rendering or digital work then the 5820 would be more useful to me.

The costs didn't matter to me. It came down to ease of build basically in the end. With a 6700k I had more choices in mobos. Also it was just a gaming Lanbox in my situation. I'm happy with my decision maybe someday I'll get a 10+ core cpu for bragging rights but for now 6700k is the good spot for me. Just my own opinions.

I've read somewhere that the SF450 is quieter then the SF600 because the fan curve is less aggressive. Could someone explain why? I obviously know nothing about PSU's but, why doesn't the extra overhead on the SF600 make it run cooler?

Ordered an M1, heres the guts:

i5 4590
MSI GTX 970 4G
2 SSDs
1 2.5" HDD

then probably 3 fans in the case. The 450 should be plenty for this and if it runs quieter then the 600 thats even better. Just want to make sure I'm not screwing myself in the future.

So the Dark Rock TF BARELY fits on a P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD.

The orientations with the pipes going left or right press against the first ram slot. It is most likely fine since it is only to large by 1-2mm, and only presses the ram a little towards the other one, but i didnt want to chance it.

The orientation with the pipe ends up is just 2-3mm to long. The last fin on the heatsink is about flush with the top of the case, but the pipe end tips stick out.

The orientation with the pipe ends down towards the gpu was the one orientation i got to work that I felt comfortable with. I have the reference 970 with the thick backplate and there is literally no room to spare. installing the gpu requires you to push the heatsink up towards the top flexing it maybe 0.5-1mm, and the pipe ends sit completely flat on the backplate of the gpu. Since the gpu is secured in with screws on the io plates I did not have an concern with it pushing down the gpu, and there is a tiny tiny amount of force pushing the cooler up. This allowed me to also fit an HDD on the side panel, which was the goal, to get the best cpu cooler and the HDD on the side.

I can post pictures later if requested.

Back