NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

We can only hope Necere and Wahaha360 grace us with another magical design. Maybe they'll make the most awesome NUC-case we'd ever seen ? Or the thinnest Steambox case that can house a GTX 780Ti and Core i7 without a sweat ? Maybe he says FU and just builds a huge E-ATX case that can house 20 HDD's and even more 140mm fans for 6 quad-140mm radiators for dual CPU and quad SLI/Crossfire.

One can only speculate what they are up to.

I can only repeat my demand for an M2 HTPC/Steambox :D

YEdQr9F.png

As much as I'd like to see them continue refining Ncase M1, I believe it's already perfect the way it is and kind of hope they don't make any more versions because if they do that'd compel me to purchase a new revision every time.

I'd like one in matte nickel-plated 6061 aluminium, with heat-treated titanium accents (feet, screws) and gold-plated connectors. With removeable front I/O cables, without the rear fan grill and grommet holes. And better quality plastic panel clips in silver-color.

As much as I'd like to see them continue refining Ncase M1, I believe it's already perfect the way it is and kind of hope they don't make any more versions because if they do that'd compel me to purchase a new revision every time.

Nothing is ever perfect, and can always be improved. Some review complained about vibrations in the hd rack. Don't know if that was improved in V2 or not? In any case, I hope they continue provide us with amazing cases every year.

Are these clips specific to M1, or do they have a general "clip" shape so that we can purchase elsewhere?

I think there are some available from Lian-Li, but I just contacted wahaha, and he sent me some for $0.1/pcs (+shipping) ;)

I think there are some available from Lian-Li, but I just contacted wahaha, and he sent me some for $0.1/pcs (+shipping) ;)

It would be nice to get confirmation on the possibility of going directly to Lian-Li.

I have to admit this plastic clip issue has me a bit worried. I'm thinking i'd rather get hold of 10-20 clips now, rather than risk them not being avalable when/if they start breaking.

If enough people are thinking like me i think it can easily end up being a huge task for wahaha to handle everything, and if we can get them Directly from Lian-Li he doesn't really have to.

Last edited:
It would be nice to get confirmation on the possibility of going directly to Lian-Li.

I have to admit this plastic clip issue has me a bit worried. I'm thinking i'd rather get hold of 10-20 clips now, rather than risk them not being avalable when/if they start breaking

Yes, you can order them directly from Lian-Li, just email [email protected]

I requested $5 worth from W360 earlier this week, but he hasn't gotten back to me about getting that many yet.

I'd still really like to see an M1-styled NUC chassis. Think that would be a fun SFF project.

I'd like one in matte nickel-plated 6061 aluminium, with heat-treated titanium accents..

Not sure if serious, but that actually sounds pretty sweet :D

I would still say an aluminium SG05 with the custom front panel that mnpctech did in their "Notalis" project would be a dream to own, as well. :)

Just ordered a black one! What are the odds it'll ship by 9/22 as mentioned on the site? I'd really like it by the end of October.

What are the odds it'll ship by 9/22 as mentioned on the site?
10:1?

Dunno. I'd say there's a pretty good chance that W360 posted a date that both gave plenty of time for the shipment to arrive, and for him to get them shipped out. But those slow boats are notorious for being.. slow. Maybe getting lost and stopping to ask for directions, detours, heavy traffic, pee breaks, Somali pirates.. :D

How easily can the M1 v2 be moved if pushed? I have a 2yr old so I worry she may be able to push it off the desk, is that a legitimate concern I should have if I purchase the case?

How easily can the M1 v2 be moved if pushed?

Not very, depending upon what components you have weighing it down. The bottom feet have rubber padding on them, so if I need to move my case a little, I usually lift it up first.

I have a 2yr old so I worry she may be able to push it off the desk, is that a legitimate concern I should have if I purchase the case?

Possibly.. at least as much as it is for any other heavy objects. I'd probably be more worried about your monitor getting knocked off the desk (unless it's already secured). Maybe move your desk to a corner, and place the M1 so it's flanked by 2 walls and your display?

Has anyone mixed the silver panels with the black case and vice versa? Would be interesting to see.

YEdQr9F.png

Yeah dont fix whats not broken (M1).

That HTPC case would get my vote too. I would love to see it build "wrong way around" so that bottom would have 120mm slim fan on other side that dont have optical and itx mobo mounted on roof of the case. With maybe that pci usable through riser (is that the word?) next to mobo. All ventilation outside could be under the "hood" of outside panels. Would draw it up if i knew how :D

A M1 NUC with all, but one of the USB ports on the back like the sphere shaped NUC Zotac makes.

DSCN8525_575px.JPG

I'm annoyed that almost all of the NUC models available have only two USB ports on the back.

YEdQr9F.png

Wow. As long as that could fit a full size graphics card, and be properly cooled (water please), I would ditch my Fractal Node 605 in a heart beat! The 605 is a nice case, but has a few things keeping it from being a perfect HTPC for a gaming rig.

If that would be available, I'd certainly buy it for HTPC use! I love small systems!

As much as I'd like a case like that to replace my HTPC gaming rig... I'd be tempted to run it with just an APU and make use of Steam's streaming for higher demand games! It really is a nice looking case.

We are now down to black cases w/ODD slot and no-ODD top panels for ordering. We are keeping a handful of each item in reserve to deal with replacements, as before, so we may have a few left to sell in a couple months if you missed out on a silver case or panel kit.

Pretty sure the only thing that makes the silver case a silver case is the panels. And maybe feet this time around.
It's the other way around, actually: V2 has black feet across the board, while first edition silver cases came with silver feet. You're correct that the panels are the only other difference between them, however.

I'm curious what Necere is going to do next. A 3rd M1 run or something entirely new? Too early to ask him though. Once this second run gets finished then maybe see what he is or isn't dreaming up. :D
Well, it's something I've been working on for a while already, and I was planning to start a thread on it soon anyway, so I'll just tell you that it in fact a Steam Machine-style case.

Now, I want to be clear what my goals are so people aren't disappointed: this isn't going to be a larger slim case like the RVZ01 or Bolt 2, which are both upwards of 16L. My goal is much closer to Valve's reference design as far as size and component support. This means a case under 10L, but watercooling, optical drive, and 3.5" HDD support are out. I want to pare it down to the essential functions and focus on doing those well. It won't have the flexibility of the M1, but what you'll get instead is a clean, functional, small case. As of yet, no company has produced a case like the Steam Machine reference design. That's what I'm aiming for.

Well, it's something I've been working on for a while already, and I was planning to start a thread on it soon anyway, so I'll just tell you that it in fact a Steam Machine-style case.

Now, I want to be clear what my goals are so people aren't disappointed: this isn't going to be a larger slim case like the RVZ01 or Bolt 2, which are both upwards of 16L. My goal is much closer to Valve's reference design as far as size and component support. This means a case under 10L, but watercooling, optical drive, and 3.5" HDD support are out. I want to pare it down to the essential functions and focus on doing those well. It won't have the flexibility of the M1, but what you'll get instead is a clean, functional, small case. As of yet, no company has produced a case like the Steam Machine reference design. That's what I'm aiming for.

Is the front aesthetic going to hang around on next design? Because I for one think its impeccable.

Is the front aesthetic going to hang around on next design? Because I for one think its impeccable.
Milkcow's mockup looks cool, but unfortunately it isn't really compatible with the requirements of the case. The location of the optical drive and front ports don't really work with a <10L case. One of my goals also is a case that can be oriented both vertically and horizontally, so the design needs to take that into consideration.

*gives wallet to Necere*

Now, I want to be clear what my goals are so people aren't disappointed: this isn't going to be a larger slim case like the RVZ01 or Bolt 2, which are both upwards of 16L. My goal is much closer to Valve's reference design as far as size and component support. This means a case under 10L, but watercooling, optical drive, and 3.5" HDD support are out.

As much as I'd like water cooling, due to the heat issues I've had with the i5-4670K in the Node 605, I realize it's not realistic in a case of the size you're aiming for. I'd much rather have a tiny case than something similar to size of the 605 with water cooling.

(**Note: Cooling is under control with a Scythe Big Shuriken Rev B, but not much headroom for OC'ing.**)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do! Keep up the good work!

-fen

So im a bit late to the party on this ncase m1 thing, I only saw the case yesterday and decided to purchase today, so anyone know how close i was to missing out on getting one?

So im a bit late to the party on this ncase m1 thing, I only saw the case yesterday and decided to purchase today, so anyone know how close i was to missing out on getting one?

Very close to missing out it seems. Think Necere said that the extra silver ones just sold out, so probably only days/weeks until they're all gone.

I was on the site earlier ... taking preorders with an expected ship date starting 09/22/14. Only in black though.

Less than a month till they ship, can't wait till mine gets here!

Aside from that, for those of you who have them already. I want to reuse my graphics card, but it is a twin frozr... and a 4GB 770 so no water block( i don't want to go with the generic gpu water blocks). Are my temps really going to be as bad as every one says they are going to be with out a reference blower cooler? =(

This sounds like a Dream Steam Machine! I'm very excited to see how this will progress, and considering your fantastic work with the M1, the smell of success is heavy in the air!

No pressure. :D

Less than a month till they ship, can't wait till mine gets here!

Aside from that, for those of you who have them already. I want to reuse my graphics card, but it is a twin frozr... and a 4GB 770 so no water block( i don't want to go with the generic gpu water blocks). Are my temps really going to be as bad as every one says they are going to be with out a reference blower cooler? =(

Waiting for mine too, but i have the same issue as you. 580 twin frozr. I plan on putting two fans on the bottom of the case to force air into the heatsink. That should make a high pressure zone i the bottom so hot air wil have to go somwhere.
i also plan on a 240 rad on the side (will be expanded to cover gpu once i upgrade that). This blowing in to the case will probably force hot gpu air out the right vent of the case. In theory anyway.
As its being advised against this i am not expecting it to be great, but i'll be happy as long as it works.

Milkcow's mockup looks cool, but unfortunately it isn't really compatible with the requirements of the case. The location of the optical drive and front ports don't really work with a <10L case. One of my goals also is a case that can be oriented both vertically and horizontally, so the design needs to take that into consideration.

I dont like whole vertical/horizontal until i see it. Its usually so many compromises that need to be made for it to be possible. As just suggestion, maybe do a vote on what orientation case is most wanted?

Back