MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Driver?

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Is there a NVMe driver for this drive or should I just use the regular Microsoft standard NVMe driver? I haven't come across one looking around their website. I only ask because I know the Samsung drives run a little faster with the Samsung driver.

http://mydigitalssd.com/pcie-m2-ngff-ssd.php

There is no specific driver that I know of. I've been looking into using one of these with Windows 10, which isn't an issue. But people using win 7 have had some issues.

This drive is amazing for the price. I have a 240gb BPX and coming from 2 480gb SATA SSDs in raid 0, I notice a huge jump in performance. The drive does idle at 60c but shouldn't hurt it at all.

I've considered putting it into a laptop, but I don't know if the extra heat will be an issue compared to a SATA m.2 drive.

Last edited:
I should have been more specific. I'm running Windows 10 with it's native NVMe driver. I was googling looking for a driver and the consensus was that Phison doesn't have a driver available for the controller so it wouldn't work with Windows 7.

I've considered putting it into a laptop, but I don't know if the extra hear will be an issue compared to a SATA m.2 drive.

The specs on the website say it has a low power mode. Seems strange that it would idle at 60C. My case is open and the drive is definitely warm to the touch.

Anyone tried this in Linux as a boot drive? I'd prefer kernel 4.4 or 4.8 (Ubuntu)

I am thinking its the sticker over the Phison controller that is insulating and making the temps higher. In reviews this sticker does not cover the controller and I think they put the sticker in the wrong area to be honest.

I've considered putting it into a laptop, but I don't know if the extra heat will be an issue compared to a SATA m.2 drive.

I thought all the reviews said this drive is power hunger. IE not good for battery life.

I got this installed last weekend and with dd I'm seeing ~ 1.7GB/s sequential reads (512k/1M block size) on the 128GB version.

Edit: The smartmontools that comes with my distro isn't smart enough (no pun intended) to deal with NVME drives :(

Last edited:
Hi guys,

just bought one from Amazon (240GB) and I am confused - some tests (CrystalDiskMark and ATTO) show a significant speed increase over my previous Samsung 750 SSD for all tests,
but some other tools (like AS SSD and Anvil ) show extremely slow write performance for 4K writing speed - as low as 8-12 MB/s.

Did anyone else experience such thing?

(Windows write cache is On, and one thing to mention - I actually migrated my Windows 10 x64 form the old Samsung SSD to this new M2. drive. May it be the root cause?)

Just tested again, this time I booted my computer from the old SSD and format BPX in Windows and then created one single NTFS partition with NO data.

Or the drive is just partially faulty and needs to be replaced?

Thank you.

P.S. Uploading a pictures - look at 4k Write section:

anvil.jpg
as-ssd-bench BPX 27.02.17 21-15-46.png
atto.JPG
CrystalDiskMark.JPG

Last edited:
Hi guys,

just bought one from Amazon (240GB) and I am confused - some tests (CrystalDiskMark and ATTO) show a significant speed increase over my previous Samsung 750 SSD for all tests,
but some other tools (like AS SSD and Anvil ) show extremely slow write performance for 4K writing speed - as low as 8-12 MB/s.

Did anyone else experience such thing?

Windows write cache is On, and one thing to mention - I actually migrated my Windows 10 x64 form the old Samsung SSD to this new M2. drive. May it be the root cause?
Or the drive is just partially faulty and needs to be replaced?

Thank you.
You need to a clean fresh install with the Nvme drive as the boot drive in ahci mode.

You need to a clean fresh install with the Nvme drive as the boot drive in ahci mode.
Hi jmilcher,

thank you for your reply.

You advice is based on your knowledge/experience or you suspect that this might be the reason?
What confuses me is the fact that CrystalDiskMark gives me a perfect result, so either it does not do that type of test that other benchmarks do (where they fail) or...

I still have my old SSD connected so I can just change boot order in BIOS and load my Windows from that old disk.
By doing that I should still be able to see NVMe as "just another disk" in the system - in that case, logically speaking, it should not be affected the fact that I cloned Windows but not reinstalled it form scratch.

I will probably format it and redo the tests - in this case you think it should have no reasons to misbehave?

I recently migrated from a m.2 SATA SSD to a 950 pro Nvme. Clone the image and booted up.

I had similar issues. I then re installed Windows 10 again from scratch, and had no such issues again. It was a pain, but worth it. That's just my personal experience from a few days ago.

I cloned mine and it works good, but my install was not very old. I probably should have done a fresh install because I had so little to loose at the time.

Ok now I can add some info here... I activated (checked) options "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device" and the speed now is waay better, but the question now - is it suppose to be like that or something is still wrong?
Looks like that now I made myself susceptible to data corruption because of sudden crash or power loss?

as-ssd-bench BPX 28.02.17 15-48-17.png

I recently migrated from a m.2 SATA SSD to a 950 pro Nvme. Clone the image and booted up.

I had similar issues. I then re installed Windows 10 again from scratch, and had no such issues again. It was a pain, but worth it. That's just my personal experience from a few days ago.

Hey jmilcher, could you please check you settings - whether you have "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device" ticked or not?
It is located in Computer Management -> Disk Drives -> BPX (right click) -> Properties -> Policies.

Thanks!

Hey jmilcher, could you please check you settings - whether you have "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device" ticked or not?
It is located in Computer Management -> Disk Drives -> BPX (right click) -> Properties -> Policies.

Thanks!
I will look. I have everything on by default with a Windows 10 pro install in regards to drive settings.

I do not have the bpx, I have the Samsung 950 pro

My 240GB model idles at 75C for whatever reason....anyone else experience this? Has anyone lowered their temps significantly?

What are you using to monitor temps? I'll take a look with my 480GB version.

So it looks like my system just doesnt report the temps correctly. Im using a Gigabyte X99P-SLI motherboard. I ran a disk benchmark (ATTO) and during the benchmark the reported tempature didnt increase at all and the benchmark results show no signs of throttling.

Back