My junk de-humidifier fun:)

IM [H]ard

Gawd
Ok, I have this old ass de-humidifier that died on my mom = mine now :D

The fan stopped spinning, so I took it apart, cleaned it all up, and now works like a champ. I think I will build a box for the compressor, and the radiator, and set it up so that a fan will cool them very well, and duct it out the window. Then on the top of this box I will mount the "cool" part and get cold air from it for the pc, as it's summer, and temps are going up. Sort of like a home-made air conditioner, but for the pc only. We have no a/c here, so I sweat just sitting at the computer. Any effeciency ideas? I'll post some before, during and after pics. I can't start this until thursday or friday, but plan to be done with it at the end of friday either way. Just let me know...later:)

I found a dehumidifier on the side of the road up at school and had big plans to use it in my watercooling setup. Sadly that was one of the items that got loaded into the dumpster rather than my explorer at moveout time. :( It should definately help with your temperatures, but I'm not sure if you will see much of a benefit if you are just blowing the cold air into your computer. It will use a shitload of power though since you will be having a compressor running constantly as long as your computer is on. Play around with it though. It is definately an interesting way to cool a computer.

Yeah, the best use of a de-humidifier is in a direct die phase change cooling system; the second best use is using it as a chiller for watercooling. Using it as a chiller for air cooling is probably the worst thing you can do.

hmmm, I was just trying to see how far I could take this before I went water. But it is getting closer, and closer. I guess I will try to build this box anyways, and make it into a water chiller later...later:)

keep in mind that you'll get a net gain of water over time, since im guessing you'll use the dehumidifiers water trap as a reservoir.

hmm i have an old de-humidifier lying around... how would i go about turning it into a cooling system?

jeef said:
keep in mind that you'll get a net gain of water over time, since im guessing you'll use the dehumidifiers water trap as a reservoir.

Naa, I will be sealing the "cool" part in a bucket of water. Now, do I use the water in there directly in the loop, or put a large amount of piping in there and let it cool that? we'll see...

V0ltage said:
hmm i have an old de-humidifier lying around... how would i go about turning it into a cooling system?

Stick around and we might see...later:)

well... sorry for the delay, but I have been buisy. I have a full day tomorrow to work on this, I'll update then...later:)

I agree, this should be made into a waterchiller, it would make it sooooo much more awesomenessor...er.

Ok here is what I have to work with:
pic.php

pic.php

Sorry, but I have been pretty buisy, starting a new job and all. I have everything measured out, I just have to build it now. The only problem i can see here, is that I will have to bend some of these pipes, and they might break. Other than that, it should be golden...later:)

i have had a similar idea

if you do that, thats sorta wasting electricity just for cool air

instead of blowing just cool air into your case, why dont you hook up the pipes to the radiator with an extension onto a waterblock and weld it airtight and then run it like a water cooling setup cept with air, not water1

wayne said:

instead of blowing just cool air into your case, why dont you hook up the pipes to the radiator with an extension onto a waterblock and weld it airtight and then run it like a water cooling setup cept with air, not water1
WHAT?

jpmkm said:
i mean like re-piping the system

lets say the fleon or ammonia gas runs thru some radiator right?... then he can take off one of the pipes, make an extension to a waterblock, then on the other end of that water block he makes another extension back to the dehumidifier radiator... so overall, hes just adding a waterblock in the air circuit and he should weld all connections to make sure its airtight so it prevents leaks

wayne said:

I think I was pretty specific when I mentioned that I modified the design to make this into a water chiller. I have felt the cool part, and I know it would freeze water :)

So you are suggesting that I cut the lines, and run the material in the system through a block? I would not do that, because I would have to get the system emptied, and re-filled. Those two things alone would cost to much money, I am only doing this because it would be completly free...later:)

When I had the cold side of mine in a bucket of water I actually did get a nice layer of ice on the coils after a short while. Though I never actually ran my watercooling loop in the bucket also, so there was no heat load being dumped into the water.

Sorry, it's been a few days, and no update...

Umm, someone took my saw, and I gave up looking for it by now. So I'm going to cut the wood by hand. Yes, you heard it folks, he's going to do work! Heh, anyways, I got all the bolts and things off. So now it's a matter of going to bed, waking up, cutting the wood, and putting it together.

Side note: I stated that I was unshure of bending the tubing, so I did some research. I think I will need a tube bender for this. I'll see about that, if it kinks at all, I will probabally stop, and go get a bender. But that would be more time, so we'll see...later:)

bah, sorry to wast peoples time. I don't think I'll be doing this anymore, because I put the coils in water, and to took over an hour for it to get cold enough for me, and then about 20 more minutes to get ice. I think it's just to old, ehh...

Although this has sparked my interest, I think I'm picking up an A/C unit soon :D

...later:)

IM [H]ard said:
I think I was pretty specific when I mentioned that I modified the design to make this into a water chiller. I have felt the cool part, and I know it would freeze water :)
i meant running the air thru a water cooling system

but now that you stopped, o well :( :)

Back