My ITX HTPC + home theatre upgrade

flyz

Limp Gawd
My current home theatre is getting a little dated and it needs a full rebuild. A new sound system and an HTPC is going to replace the existing stuff.

A little background: My old home theatre contains an 18 year old Kenwood system (UD-90, this thing's a dinosaur :D). Having chucked out the dual tape deck and single cd player a couple years back, it chugged along nicely till now. The equalizer VFD has died and the volume from the receiver is slowly fading, so to get any decent sound, the volume knob would need to be maxed out. It has no digital inputs and it doesn't do switching so my TV does all the switching between PC, DVD and TV.

HTPC wise, it's an Athlon X2 4400+ on a 780G platform housed in an Antec Lanboy. It's one of the most used PCs in the house since it's so convenient to have a PC easily accessible. The PC itself doesn't have any problems, it's just that the H55N-USB3 is so damn sexy and I had to get it (oops, spoiled it) and hence, the new build.

I couldn't be arsed to put together a speaker + receiver setup so I went with an Onkyo S3300 5.1 system. While it's only 5.1 and not a super powerful unit, my family room is only 10X15, so it should be ample for the room.

The box it came in was huge and had several scars from shipping, but everything was packed nicely and nothing seemed to be damaged....
58744949.jpg

Everything unpacked.
99718806.jpg

The HTPC I'm planning to build:

Intel i3 530
Gigabyte H55N-USB3
G.Skill 4GB 1600 DDR3
WD Green 500GB
Corsair 400CX
Lian Li Q07

35809120.jpg

As you can see, there's no motherboard in that picture. Nope, it's not that I forgot to order it, but it's because NCIX didn't have stock in their warehouse and had to be transferred from their supplier/store/whatever. Le sigh.

Here's some case pr0n.

What could be in that blue bag?
89977039.jpg

Oh it's the Q07
56577476.jpg

10795333.jpg

93333236.jpg

41226351.jpg

Interior
88010228.jpg

QC from Jul 22 09, it's almost a year since.
88604879.jpg

Reset/Power Switch etc.
15186859.jpg

The 6 small screws that hold the side panel in place. Not a huge problem since I won't be taking it apart that often.
53311237.jpg

Room for an SSD/2.5 drive too.
54014730.jpg

I've received my motherboard about a week after everything else arrived....

But the box came like this:
img1756oq.jpg

I was afraid that the board would be damaged but after removing all the paper packed with it, the board is fine. Plenty of space to spare :D
img1758.jpg

Unboxed the board. This thing is tiny! It's just as big as the I/O shield.
img1761n.jpg

The board is installed in the case. It'll be staying with the stock hsf, unless it becomes unbearable.
img1765g.jpg

PSU installed. Corsair PSUs comes with really long cables so it's a small problem in this little case :D
img1770ug.jpg

Everything put together.
img1787mj.jpg

I am totally jealous, I want this case but its sooooo small, I couldnt fit a decent video card in it. Might have to just get one and mod it to work. How did you like the case otherwise?

@ flyz

Nice job
Quick question are you going to be storing movies on the harddrive, and if so is the WD Green 500GB going to big enough for you.

interested in hearing how this system worked out for you and if you are ultimately happy with the sound coming from the onkyo HTIB.

How's the core i3 working out?

It plays 1080P stuff no problem and it bitstreams TrueHD and DTS-HD. It's such a great chip for HTPCs. One unfortunate thing is that I don't have a 1156 bracket for my waterblock so I can't see how far it really overclocks :D

I am totally jealous, I want this case but its sooooo small, I couldnt fit a decent video card in it. Might have to just get one and mod it to work. How did you like the case otherwise?

The fit and finish is top notch as with any Lian Li case. It looks great alongside everything else and it's near silent. It would be a totally amazing gaming setup if it did fit a dual slot card, but that's why there's a Q08. Maybe that would fit your needs.

@ flyz

Nice job
Quick question are you going to be storing movies on the harddrive, and if so is the WD Green 500GB going to big enough for you.

It actually streams from a file server so storage is no problem. I merely bought the smallest WD Green there is.

interested in hearing how this system worked out for you and if you are ultimately happy with the sound coming from the onkyo HTIB.

Onkyo sound is great and since it's just a SR308, it is easily upgradable to better speakers if I ever outgrow them.

Hey flyz,

I have been reading into the 24p/1080p playback with the i3 chips. Do you have any issues with a skipped frame or any stuttering when watching a blu-ray or anything like that?

have you been monitoring temps? i want to use this case and rig up a way to mount a second 3.5" HDD on top of the existing one but i'm concerned about heat. it looks like there's room, otherwise. what do you think?

Hey flyz,

I have been reading into the 24p/1080p playback with the i3 chips. Do you have any issues with a skipped frame or any stuttering when watching a blu-ray or anything like that?

I find it incredible how 23.976 fps -> 24.000 fps causes so many issues.

Hey flyz,

Doesn't look like that westinghouse is doing 5:5, kind of a moot point?

Back