My hotmail got hacked. Well maybe not. Not sure?

Scoobydo

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

Last week Microsoft sent me a txt message saying my Hotmail was hacked. I recovered the password, changed it, added a bunch of security at their request, so on and so forth.

Now here is the kicker. I looked at my activity on my account. And it was hacked by someone in Switzerland during the day that I'd normally be logged in to my Hotmail with my outlook connection (POP3)... The Switzerland hacking was done with POP3... There was never any failed passwords, and very little attempted hacking over the last month (maybe 3 failed attempts total from the China area)... So it didn't seem like someone was attempting to crack my password brute force.

No emails were deleted/sent, etc. Nobody reported anything suspicious to me.

So, was this a false report from Microsoft, or was it an actual hacking? What do you think the odds are? I didn't have anything too important and if it was it was encrypted with AES-256 (7z files). However, I did have a medical record that was not encrypted that contained my SSN.

So I'm a bit nervous, but I'm thinking I wasn't even hacked.

If you logged into the account and changed the password, then that's all that really matters and you should be ok. Only thing they use a hacked email account for is to send spam or malware. If you use the same password on other online accounts you'll want to change those passwords as well.

Back