My first M.2 Drive

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
I can't believe how small these are afraid to break the thing lol. It's about as big a a pack of Wrigley's chewing gum.
It's not even as thick as a piece of gum. I'll pick up two more prob 2TB Gen4s or Gen3s depending if I can use these with my Sata ports I think I will be able to.

257798132_5299212580095678_3236843058889554119_n.jpg

I can't believe how small these are afraid to break the thing lol. It's about as big a a pack of Wrigley's chewing gum.
It's not even as thick as a piece of gum. I'll pick up two more prob 2TB Gen4s or Gen3s depending if I can use these with my Sata ports I think I will be able to.

View attachment 413116
Well, you bought a really good one!

I researched reviews if someone said a ssd fried their laptop I would skip that brand. I'm wondering if dust buildup would be a problem.

I used Samsung SSDs and NVMEs exclusively in several PCs and laptops over the years. To this date, not a single issue in any of them. They are solid and perform very well.

Is the drive ok without a heatsink? Motherboard has x4 slots three heatsinks. I know the controller is nickle plated for cooling.

Is the drive ok without a heatsink? Motherboard has x4 slots three heatsinks. I know the controller is nickle plated for cooling.
I ran my Samsung 970 EVO PCIe 3.0 for over a year without a heatsink and it was fine, but they will throttle if you want to benchmark them.

On my setup now, my motherboard came with NVME low-profile heatsinks and I use them on my 970 EVO (pulled from another system) and 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 2TB drive. They stay nice and cool under heavy load now.

. I'll pick up two more prob 2TB Gen4s or Gen3s depending if I can use these with my Sata ports I think I will be able to.
NVMe (Pcie) m.2 drives are incompatible with SATA. There are SATA m.2 drives available, though, with greatly reduced speeds.

Unless you mean checking if using more drives disables SATA ports, then check your motherboard manual. (Or go HEDT and never compromise 😁)

Yeah regular Sata ports the manual doesn't say they will be disabled or anything I'll see what happens.

My 2nd M.2 is in the mail 2TB 970 Evo Plus hoping it's not damaged because they ship them in flexible envelopes.
I'm looking at the other Asus boards with Z690 boards and if you use all x6 Satas or more one of the M.2 slots will be disabled almost all of them have X4 slots this time around. But on my Asus Tuf it doesn't matter because there is only x4 Sata ports.

My 2nd M.2 is in the mail 2TB 970 Evo Plus hoping it's not damaged because they ship them in flexible envelopes.
I'm looking at the other Asus boards with Z690 boards and if you use all x6 Satas or more one of the M.2 slots will be disabled almost all of them have X4 slots this time around. But on my Asus Tuf it doesn't matter because there is only x4 Sata ports.

I was looking at one of the TUF boards, but the lack of SATA ports was a no go for me.

Also iirc SATA ports usually only get disabled if you use SATA drives in M.2 slot's using NV/Me drives usually does not impact that.

I have 4 different NVME drives and 8X SATA drives connected to my X570 board.
The manual and the BIOS both specifically specify that NVME slot #3 and SATA #8 cannot be used simultaneously if the M.2 slot drive is occupied by a SATA drive. However, I have an NVME drive in NVME Slot #3 and SATA #8 works absolutely fine. (My 4th NVME is using a 4x PCI-E to NVME adapter)

Last edited:
After having a very bad day at work I installed all the drives I have X6 functional drives.
I didn't even have to reinstall Windows 11 the Asus motherboard took a while to boot up said detecting devices and there was the splash screen.
I'm transferring all my UBI games and Blizzard games to a NVME M.2 as I type this. Not sure how my Epic launcher will react see what happens when I plug it the drive. Hoping I don't have reinstall the games or some of them. I don't think Epic has a dedicated game install mover yet.

Nvme M2 is by far the most impressive tech in my lifetime with regard to computing and I'll not be buying anymore giant paperweights.

I have 4 different NVME drives and 8X SATA drives connected to my X570 board.
The manual and the BIOS both specifically specify that NVME slot #3 and SATA #8 cannot be used simultaneously if the M.2 slot drive is occupied by a SATA drive. However, I have an NVME drive in NVME Slot #3 and SATA #8 works absolutely fine. (My 4th NVME is using a 4x PCI-E to NVME adapter)
Any reason you have 52TB of storage? For work related tasks?

Nvme M2 is by far the most impressive tech in my lifetime with regard to computing and I'll not be buying anymore giant paperweights.

Other way around for me. It was a huge disappointment. I had the 'wow' factor switching from 200MBps HDDS to 550MBps SSDs and their much lower latency (I always felt its the drop in latency that is key over raw MBps) and after 5 years or so of that the leap to 3000MBps was a real let down. Just not as noticeable (or useful) day to day. After all if you copy a folder with say 10GB of microfiles, they still drop to KBps speeds...

Any reason you have 52TB of storage? For work related tasks?
I actually have 80TB now. 😅
Might hit 100tb ish by the end of the year if the money is good and I can't secure a PS5.

Anyway, it's all for fun. 4k video takes up a lot of space.

My job actually doesn't involve computers at all. At least outside of some excel spreadsheets and order guides.

Other way around for me. It was a huge disappointment. I had the 'wow' factor switching from 200MBps HDDS to 550MBps SSDs and their much lower latency (I always felt its the drop in latency that is key over raw MBps) and after 5 years or so of that the leap to 3000MBps was a real let down. Just not as noticeable (or useful) day to day. After all if you copy a folder with say 10GB of microfiles, they still drop to KBps speeds...
I feel this has well, going from not much video card to a voodoo card and from HDD to SSD were spectacular move, floppy disk to CD/usb thumbdrive and for people that had 56k or less internet to broadband, those were game changer upgrade that would just be really hard to go back to compute without.

SSD to the nvme will be nice when drive get to be so fast that SATA interface would have been a major issues and other one (but that quite subjective/personnal) going from 60hz to 170hz on my LCD, I expected some big deal, 60hz was not much of an issue to my eyes I feel like, but for now in many ways it is hard to even tell, unlike the above were it would be painfully obvious if you traded back.

I actually have 80TB now. 😅
Might hit 100tb ish by the end of the year if the money is good and I can't secure a PS5.

Anyway, it's all for fun. 4k video takes up a lot of space.

My job actually doesn't involve computers at all. At least outside of some excel spreadsheets and order guides.
Sounds like you need a dedicated NAS.

Sounds like you need a dedicated NAS.
nah, much more expensive than just having a big ass case and motherboard that supports all of my hard drives. I also use primocache to accelerate quite a few of the drives which gives significant performance benefits that I don't believe a NAS would be able to replicate.

nah, much more expensive than just having a big ass case and motherboard that supports all of my hard drives. I also use primocache to accelerate quite a few of the drives which gives significant performance benefits that I don't believe a NAS would be able to replicate.
What would you need primocache to accelerate on 4k video?

If you do not need the drive to be on a always on device and does fit on your motherboard/case no need for a dedicated NAS obviously, but I am pretty certain you can cache or do everything on a computer you use has a nas.

Apparently that Linux default behavior, but my gigabyte ethernet being slower than a 5400 rpm regular HDD I am not sure if I can test it, and for something like large single big files like movie files I am not sure when it would become useful to have one.

I feel this has well, going from not much video card to a voodoo card and from HDD to SSD were spectacular move, floppy disk to CD/usb thumbdrive and for people that had 56k or less internet to broadband, those were game changer upgrade that would just be really hard to go back to compute without.

SSD to the nvme will be nice when drive get to be so fast that SATA interface would have been a major issues and other one (but that quite subjective/personnal) going from 60hz to 170hz on my LCD, I expected some big deal, 60hz was not much of an issue to my eyes I feel like, but for now in many ways it is hard to even tell, unlike the above were it would be painfully obvious if you traded back.

I remember the video of Linus testing out high Hz monitors for gaming and when scientifically analysed there is a benefit to them. But when they just tried gaming to tell which monitor was which over 60/75/120/144/240 etc. they really struggled once it hit just 75Hz.

Law of Diminishing returns...

Back