My clocks stay at 5.0GHz at all times on default settings, why?

xDiVolatilX

2[H]4U
Aorus master z790
12900kf
Ddr5 z5 c32 6000 64gb 2x32gb

Any reason why? Or how I can control it better to idle lower?

IMG_20221217_115914102.jpg

Utilization is normal low and temps are normal low also but why is the clock speed stuck at 5000mhz?

Here’s the reason:

Almost all “gaming” motherboards, such as yours, have the “enhanced turbo” (also known as the “multi-core enhancement”) feature enabled by default. This will make the all-core turbo clock speed equal to the maximum single-core turbo clock speed given sufficient CPU cooling.

In other words, your motherboard automatically overclocked all CPUs to their maximum single-core turbo clock speed with all cores by default unless you turn the enhanced turbo feature off manually in the BIOS.

Here’s the reason:

Almost all “gaming” motherboards, such as yours, have the “enhanced turbo” (also known as the “multi-core enhancement”) feature enabled by default. This will make the all-core turbo clock speed equal to the maximum single-core turbo clock speed given sufficient CPU cooling.

In other words, your motherboard automatically overclocked all CPUs to their maximum single-core turbo clock speed with all cores by default unless you turn the enhanced turbo feature off manually in the BIOS.
How is he maintaining a 33C package temp if all of his cores are running at 5.0 GHz during idle? Shouldn't the temps all be up at full-load (eg. 65-70C) or is there a difference between max clock speed and full-load that I am not understanding here? Otherwise that must be some insane cooling. My i5-11400F idles at 37-38C but the clock speed is down at around 2.0 GHz. When it shoots up to 4.2-4.4GHz turbo the temps go up to 65-70C but that is only when running intensive applications like games, etc.

Last edited:
windows or something could be doing something in the background and loading cpu. Mine behaves this way especially when it was a new install/build. After a while it settles down and cpu is able to throttle down.

And as eagle said, mobo makers tend to “overclock” even at default settings with super aggressive turbo. But looking at your power draws at those higher mhz, I wouldn’t worry as system isn’t pulling any power and could be transient loads for frequency. And those transient loads, based on my exp, is background windows or programs doing cleanup and file checks. System frequency should go back down; for me after like 5-10minutes. Then after a while, each time I boot it only takes 2-3 for system to settle down.

Here’s the reason:

Wow, interesting. Thanks for this insight. Very valuable.
What do you suggest I do? What would you do?
I noticed that the voltage VID max? Is stuck at 1.275ish also, is this bad? To be stuck there at all times? Even though the power running through the CPU seems very low looking at the "package power" only says 9.61w at "idle".
I mean I like that all core goes up to 5GHz easily I just wish it would do it accordingly to load needed right?
How can I get it to the more traditional way where it boosts to 5GHz under load then drops down as low as possible when idle?
Or does it not matter at all? I'm just worried about being at 1.275v at all times even though the load and temps are low, right?

How is he maintaining a 33C package temp if all of his cores are running at 5.0 GHz during idle? Shouldn't the temps all be up at full-load (eg. 65-70C) or is there a difference between max clock speed and full-load that I am not understanding here? Otherwise that must be some insane cooling. My i5-11400F idles at 37-38C but the clock speed is down at around 2.0 GHz. When it shoots up to 4.2-4.4GHz turbo the temps go up to 65-70C but that is only when running intensive applications like games, etc.
It's weird isn't it? I do have fantastic cooling (the new EKWB Quantum Vector 2 block with 3 rads in push/pull two 360s & one 120 all Alphacool full copper) but looking at the package power it's basically at idle only pushing under 10w sitting there. I've never seen this phenomenon either, I'm just as surprised as you lol

Reactions: gvx64
like this
windows or something could be doing something in the background and loading cpu. Mine behaves this way especially when it was a new install/build. After a while it settles down and cpu is able to throttle down.

And as eagle said, mobo makers tend to “overclock” even at default settings with super aggressive turbo. But looking at your power draws at those higher mhz, I wouldn’t worry as system isn’t pulling any power and could be transient loads for frequency. And those transient loads, based on my exp, is background windows or programs doing cleanup and file checks. System frequency should go back down; for me after like 5-10minutes. Then after a while, each time I boot it only takes 2-3 for system to settle down.
Well I did just slap in the 980pro from the previous board (MSI z690 edge ddr5 wifi) straight into this board with no reinstall of Windows (haven't gotten to it yet) but even still this is very peculiar behavior.
I have a strong feeling it is exactly what Eag1e is saying it is. The only thing is, I'm not exactly sure how to set it up the good ol fashion way. 5GHz underload and like 1ghz or whatever idle right? Like how it's been forever lol

Where is the "offset" or "adaptive" modes? I don't see them. I have been on MSI forever I finally jumped ship to Aorus cause I was disappointed with MSIs Z790 offerings. But I'm unfamiliar with Aorus bios.

I knew it! Windows 10 and Windows 11 sometimes have a habit of resetting the power mode to "High Performance" or "Ultimate Performance" unexpectedly.

I knew it! Windows 10 and Windows 11 sometimes have a habit of resetting the power mode to "High Performance" or "Ultimate Performance" unexpectedly.
Lol I was caught off guard. Good thing we nipped this one in the bud 😄
Turns out leaving enhanced multicore on gives you a small boost in core 2 and core 3 to 4900with the rest staying 4700 iirc
With it off it's a more reasonable 4700 core 2 and core 3 with the rest at 4400, OR all cores running at 4700.
I didn't go too in depth cause I'm not that fanatical about it buy yeah there was a decent decrease in voltage with it off closer to the 1.2v mark where I like to be at.

How is he maintaining a 33C package temp if all of his cores are running at 5.0 GHz during idle? Shouldn't the temps all be up at full-load (eg. 65-70C) or is there a difference between max clock speed and full-load that I am not understanding here?
Right-----There's no load on the CPU. So, even though it is running at 5.0ghz, the cores are not working. The temps will still be good---pretty close to normal idle temps.

like this
Right-----There's no load on the CPU. So, even though it is running at 5.0ghz, the cores are not working. The temps will still be good---pretty close to normal idle temps.
The thing is in that mode the voltage is still high as if it's under load even though it's not. Something about that doesn't sit well with me. Know what I mean.

The thing is in that mode the voltage is still high as if it's under load even though it's not. Something about that doesn't sit well with me. Know what I mean.
Sure. I was just explaining to gvx64 why there wasn't high heat, in that situation.

How is he maintaining a 33C package temp if all of his cores are running at 5.0 GHz during idle? Shouldn't the temps all be up at full-load (eg. 65-70C) or is there a difference between max clock speed and full-load that I am not understanding here?
It doesn't really matter if CPU does nothing at 5GHz or does the same nothing at 0.8GHz
I do not see much difference between all power saving options enabled (default) and disabled (like in this topic, cores spin at max frequency all the time, and this is how I run my CPU's) in my desktop PC. On laptop it also doesn't change much but there it at least makes some sense to use these features.

I always set fixed maximum clocks for my desktop PC's and disable core parking. There is actually some difference in performance. About as slight as difference in iddle power consumption 🙃

like this
You are kind of thinking of old monolithic CPU's. Newer CPU's are all about total watt draw. Their power delivery ect. are totally different. Its not RAW voltage in anymore. My CPU sits at 1.4~ volts 5.7ghz just chilling in windows at 29c. Its because the voltage can stay high, to maintain stability when load is sub 5%. The voltage controllers manage all of that per core based on the boost curve and the bin of your CPU. As total load increases the voltage will drop, temps will rise and total watt draw will increase. So when your CPU is sitting idle, dont worry about what its clocked at... It no longer needs to drop to 800 or 50mhz to be more efficient and maintain windows stability.

OK, so it's basically like RPM's when your car is in neutral: high RPM (clock speed) doesn't start burning a lot of gas (power) until you're driving somewhere (performing computation).

You are kind of thinking of old monolithic CPU's. Newer CPU's are all about total watt draw. Their power delivery ect. are totally different. Its not RAW voltage in anymore. My CPU sits at 1.4~ volts 5.7ghz just chilling in windows at 29c. Its because the voltage can stay high, to maintain stability when load is sub 5%. The voltage controllers manage all of that per core based on the boost curve and the bin of your CPU. As total load increases the voltage will drop, temps will rise and total watt draw will increase. So when your CPU is sitting idle, dont worry about what its clocked at... It no longer needs to drop to 800 or 50mhz to be more efficient and maintain windows stability.
What cpu is this? All core 5.7 full time?

OK, so it's basically like RPM's when your car is in neutral: high RPM (clock speed) doesn't start burning a lot of gas (power) until you're driving somewhere (performing computation).
I wonder if it degrades the CPU any faster even though it's not under load?

Good thing you don't have a Zen 4 system on Windows 11 or it would drive you crazy lol. Idle temps in the 50+C even with a 360mm rad and 40-50W idle power consumption with my 7900X.

Good thing you don't have a Zen 4 system on Windows 11 or it would drive you crazy lol. Idle temps in the 50+C even with a 360mm rad and 40-50W idle power consumption with my 7900X.
that doesnt sound right. is youre power plan on high? repasted/reseated things? bios got the voltage jacked up?

that doesnt sound right. is youre power plan on high? repasted/reseated things? bios got the voltage jacked up?

Naw its normal lots of other people reported the same thing when updating to Windows 11 2H22. On Windows 10 I was only idling at around 20-25W. Still not as low as on an Intel system.

Its a 13700k , its 4 core 5.7, 6 core 5.6 and 8 at 5.5 with adaptive 1.37 volts with a positive offset. View attachment 536492
So during gaming you're at 5.5ghz. that's nice. I'm considering getting a KS chip maybe. I wonder if it will clock any higher than what you have here? I don't wanna be at 1.4 though lol it definitely clocks better than Alderlake. Alderlake needs 1.3v to get to 5ghz all core. I'm also thinking 6ghz all core is unrealistic on the KS because it would need more than 1.4v maybe 1.5v. maybe a few core can get away with it perhaps, we'll see.

So during gaming you're at 5.5ghz. that's nice. I'm considering getting a KS chip maybe. I wonder if it will clock any higher than what you have here? I don't wanna be at 1.4 though lol it definitely clocks better than Alderlake. Alderlake needs 1.3v to get to 5ghz all core. I'm also thinking 6ghz all core is unrealistic on the KS because it would need more than 1.4v maybe 1.5v. maybe a few core can get away with it perhaps, we'll see.
Well that's just it, under load my overall voltages drop down to around 1.27~ which is kind of what I was trying to explain. Only I did it poorly because it would require quite a bit of time. But in essence. Each chip has a boost voltage curve. In adaptive mode, the vf curve is basically generated by the CPU. It has set values from intel for its stock, and then extrapolates at anything beyond its stock clocks. You can kind of control this with adaptive offset. So you can really dial it down to exactly what your chip needs for the given clock and help control the temps. It seems that intel is a bit generous with voltage stock to ensure stable frequencies. But you can tighten it up. I am slowly tightening my chip up. I am now at 5600 all core, with 4 core load of 5700.

Back