MSI X570 Tomahawk review: possibly the best $200 X570

Based on the last few releases, MSI seems to yank the previous betas whenever a "final" BIOS is ready. Been running this one for a week with no issues, but I'm not exactly doing a ton of tuning. Basically just XMP, all of the Windows 11 security stuff, and some custom fan settings.

Same here. So far no issues. Got mine dialed in nicely. Ready for Win11 :D

I'd take Realtek over that garbage Rivet networks (aka Killer) any day of the week!
Funny now that Intel owns (Killer) the Killer NIC in my Dell XPS9310 has been rock solid. As opposed to the 9370 which was a complete disaster for over a year!
I wish the higher end boards would just put dual Intel X550s onboard and be done with it though.

I'd take Realtek over that garbage Rivet networks (aka Killer) any day of the week!
Funny now that Intel owns (Killer) the Killer NIC in my Dell XPS9310 has been rock solid. As opposed to the 9370 which was a complete disaster for over a year!
I wish the higher end boards would just put dual Intel X550s onboard and be done with it though.
Gigabyte does on a couple of their boards (Designare series).

I've been using this board for like a year or more, and I've had no issues with the 2.5g Realtek whatsoever. It's a perfect ethernet chipset for its cheaper worth - compared to Intel stuff. I also have a dual port physical X550 and this was the board I ditched it for. Realistically, the average end user would notice no differences at all unless they intend on using a 10g switch, obviously. But at that point you go a bit above the "average folk".

I've been using this board for like a year or more, and I've had no issues with the 2.5g Realtek whatsoever. It's a perfect ethernet chipset for its cheaper worth - compared to Intel stuff. I also have a dual port physical X550 and this was the board I ditched it for. Realistically, the average end user would notice no differences at all unless they intend on using a 10g switch, obviously. But at that point you go a bit above the "average folk".
Yes of course if you don't need anything better than 1Gbps it's a waste but a full 10Gpbs switched network it's the bees knees! I've never had issues with Realtek NICs personally, my gripe is with the pre Intel Killer stuff. It's practically a crime that (MSI) put it on their Godlike boards.

Seems like Realtek needs to work on their site - downloads are slow, Linux drivers are on top, and you go through posting your e-mail along with a stupid, almost unreadable captcha just do download the ethernet drivers.

Yeah, I flashed mine as well. Going strong.

I installed it (sans issues) and Win 11 did prompt me to re-verify some things for both my personal and work accounts...so maybe it does do something unique?

Installed. Currently running stock speeds. Noticed in bios TPM is enabled by default. in 181 TPM was disabled by default.

Will revamp my clocks and report back.

*Update* Rocking steady thus far. No issues to report.

Last edited:
MSI pulled the last beta, so I suppose the BIOS from last July: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI/support#down-bios
My 3600 memory is running normally in XMP mode, although I'm rocking a 5800x with everything else at stock.
I did have all of those issues with Windows after installing this BIOS, so I'm not too eager to install another one.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be staying put with the BIOS that I currently have on my Tomahawk since my DDR4-3600 and 5800X are running like rockstars right now.

MSI pulled the last beta, so I suppose the BIOS from last July: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI/support#down-bios
My 3600 memory is running normally in XMP mode, although I'm rocking a 5800x with everything else at stock.
I did have all of those issues with Windows after installing this BIOS, so I'm not too eager to install another one.

yeah AGESA 1.2.0.3c sounds like the most stable but MSI seems to only have 1.2.0.3b available so that sounds like the best bet

yeah AGESA 1.2.0.3c sounds like the most stable but MSI seems to only have 1.2.0.3b available so that sounds like the best bet

The beta that was up for like 6 months (and now Audi 5K for some reason) was 1.2.0.3c.
The version number was "7C84v183 (Beta version)" per what I can find online, so there might be copies of that BIOS in the wild if you hunt. It was rock solid for me the entire time.

The beta that was up for like 6 months (and now Audi 5K for some reason) was 1.2.0.3c.
The version number was "7C84v183 (Beta version)" per what I can find online, so there might be copies of that BIOS in the wild if you hunt. It was rock solid for me the entire time.

which BIOS are you currently using?...I think I'll just stick with 1.2.0.3b for now as there must have been a reason that MSI pulled it from their official website...or maybe they just rolled everything that was in 1.2.0.3c into that new 1.2.0.5 one which sounds like a disaster

which BIOS are you currently using?...I think I'll just stick with 1.2.0.3b for now as there must have been a reason that MSI pulled it from their official website...or maybe they just rolled everything that was in 1.2.0.3c into that new 1.2.0.5 one which sounds like a disaster

I'm on the newest one from January. It totally borked my Windows install (related to TPM issues), but it has been been fine in terms of performance/stability. CPU-Z shows that my XMP profile is loaded and the speeds are normal.

I haven't been keeping up with the news on this board as closely as when I first got it over a year ago but there's also been an updated version of the MSI X570 Tomahawk released without the chipset fan (MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk)

I haven't been keeping up with the news on this board as closely as when I first got it over a year ago but there's also been an updated version of the MSI X570 Tomahawk released without the chipset fan (MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk)
Wow, close to $300 for this one. I paid $100 less for mine.

Wow, close to $300 for this one. I paid $100 less for mine.

the lack of a chipset fan on the newer model is nice but I think the overall build quality as far as VRM's etc is better on the older one

Last edited:
I got mine at Microcenter as part of a bundle with a 5800X. It was $100 off the total cost when you bought 'em together, which put it just over $200. To have as many (new) features as it does, I think it's a hell of a value. In spite of them telling me I'd need to update the BIOS for that processor, It worked absolutely fine straight out of the box, too.

I got mine at Microcenter as part of a bundle with a 5800X. It was $100 off the total cost when you bought 'em together, which put it just over $200. To have as many (new) features as it does, I think it's a hell of a value. In spite of them telling me I'd need to update the BIOS for that processor, It worked absolutely fine straight out of the box, too.
Same here. I updated the bios on mine without the cpu. It was straight forward and after the update I built the rig. Helluva deal on an outstanding board for under $200. I wonder how good the new one is?

I got the Tomahawk pretty early on so I needed to flash the BIOS outside of the case using the Flash BIOS button...my first time ever having to do that so it was a bit nerve wracking but luckily it went really smooth with no issues

what's the difference between Core Performance Boost vs Precision Boost Overdrive?...PBO seems like the auto-overclocking setting but then what does Core Performance Boost do?...should I have it enabled?

PBO advanced sets ability to use curve optimizer and core performance boost tries to add even more frequency by whatever Mhz you select withing given power window. It's a silicon lottery tester built into the bios. Personally had zero luck CPB. My results have been much better using PBO and CO with negative offsets.

AMD Isolates Windows 11 and Windows 10 Performance Stuttering Issues to fTPM

AMD discovered that certain Ryzen-powered Windows 11 and Windows 10 PCs experience intermittent performance stutters when running with fTPM (firmware TPM) enabled...AMD expects firmware updates with the fix to start coming out around May 2022...these will use the AGESA V2 ComboPI 1.2.0.7 (or later) microcode...

https://www.techpowerup.com/292712/...dows-10-performance-stuttering-issues-to-ftpm

This board probably won't see one until July. Seems like it's always running a little behind their newer models and MSI isn't the quickest with new BIOS's anyway. As far as I can tell, I've never encountered this stutter. It sounds like a second-long hitch that occurs a few times per day, so I'm not sure I'd know it or not, though.

I've intentionally avoided that bios update on all my systems including ones built for friends and family. After seeing the Win 11 L3 cache and other fiascos associated with it I decided to steer clear of that trash.

I've intentionally avoided that bios update on all my systems including ones built for friends and family. After seeing the Win 11 L3 cache and other fiascos associated with it I decided to steer clear of that trash.

yup I'm using 1.2.0.3b and am staying with it for the forseeable future...AMD seems more finnicky when it comes to BIOS updates so once you get a good one its best to stick with it

Hmm, I did notice a little bug with my rig. I just disabled TPM. We'll see how it reacts with a few days.

yup I'm using 1.2.0.3b and am staying with it for the forseeable future...AMD seems more finnicky when it comes to BIOS updates so once you get a good one its best to stick with it
Same here. Been waiting for a new stable release but haven't been comfortable from the reports I have been seeing. So far, the board has been solid though.

I was having a ton of issues with fTPM on this motherboard. I think a Windows update finally fixed it for me. I also think my system is still overclocked but ram is backed down to 3600 from 3733 and bus is at 1800 instead of 1867. It didn't matter anyways in terms of performance and I can still push the 5.15 Gs single core when required. So I am no longer tweaking this system. Waiting for Intel to release something compelling and move on from this platform.

Back