MSI X570 Tomahawk review: possibly the best $200 X570

Chipset fans are cool though.

View attachment 600277

But in all seriousness X570S and X570 are an identical chipset, just all X570S boards have gone to passive cooling. There is nothing inherently wrong with X570, and I think with most boards the BIOS updates have made it so they will sometimes completely stop spinning if it's running cool enough. If one finds a good deal on an X570 board there is no shame here. Gigabyte was ahead of the curve here with the X570 Aorus Xtreme, as far as I know the only "X570" to not have a chipset fan.
X570S is a revised chipset. It consumes less power and produces less heat.

X570S is a revised chipset. It consumes less power and produces less heat.
Where is your evidence for this? Everything I've ever read supported the claim that X570 and X570S are an identical chipset, e.g. https://techunwrapped.com/the-amd-x...h-of-the-x570-or-does-it-bring-something-new/ just X570S is always passive.

If we look at the silkscreen of the chip we will see that the last one puts the same code on both chips. Specifically 1GG-CG3091, which indicates the model number for AMD, so this is the same chipset and therefore the relaunch of the powerful chipset for AMD CPUs based on the AM4 socket and not a completely new product. Although we are seeing motherboards from different brands appear that sell the X570S as if it were a new chipset.

i'm not saying throw your X570 motherboards out or anything. I'm was saying if I had to buy a new motherboard today i would perfer the X570S

Entirely unrelated but for those running XCP-ng and having issues booting with IOMMU enabled - this dev released an updated ISO that isn't official that has upstream patches already integrated which fix the issue. https://xcp-ng.org/forum/topic/5652/panic-on-cpu-0-xen-bug-at-iommu-init-c-1419/175?_=1695764852628 - they are planning to integrate it into the next release however they are inbetween a major version change.

Can confirm this also works for the MSI PRO B550-VC & MSI PRO B550-VC WIFI.

Back