MSI X399 gaming pro carbon AC not working with NVIDIA 30-series GPUs

HighYield

Gawd
Does anyone know if MSI X399 gaming pro carbon AC motherboards and 1st gen threadrippers are compatible with NVIDIA 30 series GPU? So far I haven’t been able to get either a MSI 3090 or Asus 3080 to even post. The motherboard’s error code 00 shows up and a red led for the CPU lights up.

System specs below:
Seasonic Prime Titanium 1kw PSU
MSI X399 gaming pro carbon AC – with most recent bios
1950X threadripper CPU – water cooled not overheating (plenty of internal fans to keep other things cool)
64g ram 4x16 Corsair
2-M2 NVME
1-2.5inch SSD
5-3.5” spinners for data

The system has been in operation since 2017 when the 1950x launched without issue. It operates just fine with a 1080ti or a 2080 super. As soon as I put the 30 series card in, it will not post. All 3 8-pin power connectors are being used to support the 30 series cards (each directly connected to the PSU - no splitters). The cards had been reseated to make sure there were not any issues there. I also tried with the motherboard fully stock and with a mild OC to all core 3.6 Ghz makes no difference…no post with 30 series cards. When I pull the 30 series card and replace a 2080 super for example the computer continues to not post until the CMOS is reset. Also, I can confirm both the 3090 and the 3080 worked in other machines. I am no longer in possession of the 3090 but still have the 3080.

It should have plenty of power, the system is stable without the 30 series cards and all the 30 series GPUs in question work fine on other computers. I am totally out of ideas other than kicking this old threadripper to the curb. I really don’t want to do that as it has plenty of power to keep chugging along for a while longer. Any ideas how to get it to work or does it sound like a there might be a fault in the mother board and no path forward?

Plug in the power connector on the motherboard on top of the first PCI-E slot?

The only other thing I could think of is installing the older card, setting the PCI-E to GEN3 manually instead of auto and try the new card again.

You might try posting in the beta bios section of the MSI forums. There may be a BIOS floating around that fixes this that you don't even know about. I'd also suggest putting in a support ticket, believe it or not the MSI BIOS team is actually somewhat responsive. As mentioned just above, this is likely a bug with the board with PCI-E 4.0 cards, would be my guess. I can't imagine they wouldn't patch it, but you've got to at least start the support process with them.

The only other thing I could think of is installing the older card, setting the PCI-E to GEN3 manually instead of auto and try the new card again.
This is a good idea...and not something I have tried, but was wondering if continuing to leave it on auto was really a good idea in light of all the issues. Will try later tonight when I have time to pull apart the two computers. Fingers crossed (y)

I have also submitted a support ticket with MSI on this problem to give them a chance to see what might be wrong.

I updated the latest published beta bios settings to set: PCH Gen Switch from Auto to Gen 3. Then I needed to install the RTX 3080. To verify the card had been working I had just put it into my son's computer. Yes he was thrilled about the upgrade. I had left it in for two weeks. This was a mistake on my part as you could imagine there was some resistance about taking the 3080 back out...and it being a "dick move" on my part. I guess that sums it up. After it was installed, I booted up and I got the same nothing that I have been getting. It wouldn't post at all. Pulled the 3080 back out, reset the cmos and put in the old card to get the computer going again. Started thinking about what might be a good CPU/mobo set up to replace this old threadripper system when I heard back from MSI. They provided an unreleased bios for me to try out. I felt a bit weird trying the published beta bios...I feel even more weird about whatever this bios is, however at this point there isn't any choice if I want to try and upgrade the GPU so I'll try it later tonight.

I updated the latest published beta bios settings to set: PCH Gen Switch from Auto to Gen 3. Then I needed to install the RTX 3080. To verify the card had been working I had just put it into my son's computer. Yes he was thrilled about the upgrade. I had left it in for two weeks. This was a mistake on my part as you could imagine there was some resistance about taking the 3080 back out...and it being a "dick move" on my part. I guess that sums it up. After it was installed, I booted up and I got the same nothing that I have been getting. It wouldn't post at all. Pulled the 3080 back out, reset the cmos and put in the old card to get the computer going again. Started thinking about what might be a good CPU/mobo set up to replace this old threadripper system when I heard back from MSI. They provided an unreleased bios for me to try out. I felt a bit weird trying the published beta bios...I feel even more weird about whatever this bios is, however at this point there isn't any choice if I want to try and upgrade the GPU so I'll try it later tonight.
If that does not work it's pretty clear the board is defective.

I suggest working with them. Their BIOS team is one of the most responsive out there, and I doubt it's a hardware issue. You could toss the board, but if it's more likely than not just a BIOS bug i'd say it's worth spending a little time working with them on it.

I'm guessing you already tried this BIOS - 7B09v1D6(Beta version) or did they send you an even newer one.

I suggest working with them. Their BIOS team is one of the most responsive out there, and I doubt it's a hardware issue. You could toss the board, but if it's more likely than not just a BIOS bug i'd say it's worth spending a little time working with them on it.

I'm guessing you already tried this BIOS - 7B09v1D6(Beta version) or did they send you an even newer one.
Yes. Tried the beta bios. The new bios they provided is E7B09AMS.1D7 I flashed the system with this one and then installed the 3080. No change. System wouldn't post. Dropped the old card back in, reset CMOS and am back in business. At least MSI is trying. I hope they have a plan B. I can't expect too much since the system is past 3 years on its warranty.

Back