MSI RX 480 Gaming X looks pretty sick

Spamburger

n00b
Reviews are taking notice of the MSI RX 480 Gaming X since the reference cooler is pretty bad. What's everyone's thoughts on this one?

msi-rx480-gamingx.jpg

My thoughts are you'll probably never buy one unless you monitor the websites 24/7 for the next 6 months just like the other RX480 cards.

Nitro and this so far! asus seems like they need to get their shit together with the bios. All that quality doesn't seem to be doing much. Looks like Msi fine tuned this pretty good when it comes to bios and its fully unlocked to 225w limit according to tpu. Now bad.

The only thing I don't like is the plate style cooler for the VRMs, that was my biggest complaint for XFX's old dd coolers, but being limited to 225W they should be fine, it has solid components otherwise. I like what XFX finally did this go round with their cooler, I wonder what the hold up is.

Xfx seems to be late to party. I wonder what happened there. Since they are AMD only.

Woah thats a really praising review, I wonder how it compares to the Sapphire stuff.

Xfx seems to be late to party. I wonder what happened there. Since they are AMD only.

They tend to stick close to reference with their boards, I wonder if they screwed the pooch. I also wonder what the hold up is with Gigabyte, they're usually out the gate fast on most cards as well.

They tend to stick close to reference with their boards, I wonder if they screwed the pooch. I also wonder what the hold up is with Gigabyte, they're usually out the gate fast on most cards as well.

They are dual partners, nvidia and amd. May be the are concentrated more on Nvidia side since there are probably way higher margins there.

They are dual partners, nvidia and amd. May be the are concentrated more on Nvidia side since there are probably way higher margins there.

More volume, not margins. Nvidia keeps the profit, trust me.

How much better performance wise is this than the reference RX 480?

Also, would 2 of these match a GTX 1080?

Thanks

And 1080s

Those too. I don't care about those ones though, too expensive. The 480's being constantly out of stock is only hurting AMD, the prices on the 3rd party newegg/amazon/ebay ones are getting into 1070 territory and it has to be hurting sales.

Those too. I don't care about those ones though, too expensive. The 480's being constantly out of stock is only hurting AMD, the prices on the 3rd party newegg/amazon/ebay ones are getting into 1070 territory and it has to be hurting sales.

Its rumored to be due to miners. Not sure what AMD can do to stop them unfortunately. Any action they take won't do them any favors with regular buyers.

Its rumored to be due to miners. Not sure what AMD can do to stop them unfortunately. Any action they take won't do them any favors with regular buyers.

Maybe, I wish it would just stop. I'm getting less and less interested in keeping Freesync by the day.

"Stop them" from doing what exactly? Buying their cards? Why would AMD do that?

Not sure I'm following - do you believe someone that wants the card to play videogames is somehow more entitled to the card than someone using it for mining? And why would AMD care what the card's used for post-purchase?

Reactions: Creig
like this
Maybe, I wish it would just stop. I'm getting less and less interested in keeping Freesync by the day.

Hey, if you got the money and the willingness, do a upgrade/sidegrade to Nvidia.

"Stop them" from doing what exactly? Buying their cards? Why would AMD do that?

Not sure I'm following - do you believe someone that wants the card to play videogames is somehow more entitled to the card than someone using it for mining? And why would AMD care what the card's used for post-purchase?

I don't believe anyone is entitled to a card for any reason, I feel that considering AMD's lesser position in the market, any rise in marketshare, in gamers who own an AMD card contributes to a further rise in the future, and therefore more profits to AMD. AMD probably gets the same amount of money from miners buying the cards than a gamer, but I think that miners is not particularly sustainable as a dependable and increasing income for AMD than if gamers brought the cards.

For example Bitcoin, specialized hardware have replaced GPUs in use for mining, yet while GPUs were in use, AMD cards were king, and the result was AMD cards becoming overpriced and out of stock compared to Nvidia's cards, which were much worse for mining. While bitcoin has moved on to ASICs, Ethereum is the new craze and due to Nvidia's pricey cards and shitty performance (compared to AMD), AMD cards seem to be better at mining.

Two links, one 2013, one 2014 regarding Bitcoin mining and GPUs:
AMD destroys Nvidia at Bitcoin mining, can the gap ever be bridged? | ExtremeTech
AMD graphics card pricing skyrockets due to cryptocurrency mining, could kill AMD’s gaming efforts | ExtremeTech

Here is a more current article on Polaris and Ethereum mining:
Radeon Overview: Aftermarket Polaris Cards Shaking up GPU Mining?

Mentions of Nvidia vs AMD on Ethereum mining:
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 and Ethereum Mining, What to Expect - Crypto Mining Blog

Are these articles true? No clue, I'm not in the mining business, but these are what I found.

Now, whats the effect on AMD? They get the money from the sales no doubt about it. From random tidbits on reddit (No clue if true), AMD still supports and is supporting mining, quietly I suspect. But unless AMD decides shift focus to mining, I think one day someone is going to make some ASIC with better performance and energy costs, and AMD cards will be left in the wind. Considering AMD's primary focus for these cards are for gamers, and considering the need for marketing (especially for word of mouth), I don't see the long-term benefit of AMD marketshare shinking due to cards being sold for mining.

Finally, here is an article on AMD vs Nvidia and Mining's Effects, broad but good read.
AMD 'could be devastated' by Mining - CCN: Financial Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency News

Hey, if you got the money and the willingness, do a upgrade/sidegrade to Nvidia.

I don't believe anyone is entitled to a card for any reason, I feel that considering AMD's lesser position in the market, any rise in marketshare, in gamers who own an AMD card contributes to a further rise in the future, and therefore more profits to AMD. AMD probably gets the same amount of money from miners buying the cards than a gamer, but I think that miners is not particularly sustainable as a dependable and increasing income for AMD than if gamers brought the cards.

For example Bitcoin, specialized hardware have replaced GPUs in use for mining, yet while GPUs were in use, AMD cards were king, and the result was AMD cards becoming overpriced and out of stock compared to Nvidia's cards, which were much worse for mining. While bitcoin has moved on to ASICs, Ethereum is the new craze and due to Nvidia's pricey cards and shitty performance (compared to AMD), AMD cards seem to be better at mining.

Two links, one 2013, one 2014 regarding Bitcoin mining and GPUs:
AMD destroys Nvidia at Bitcoin mining, can the gap ever be bridged? | ExtremeTech
AMD graphics card pricing skyrockets due to cryptocurrency mining, could kill AMD’s gaming efforts | ExtremeTech

Here is a more current article on Polaris and Ethereum mining:
Radeon Overview: Aftermarket Polaris Cards Shaking up GPU Mining?

Mentions of Nvidia vs AMD on Ethereum mining:
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 and Ethereum Mining, What to Expect - Crypto Mining Blog

Are these articles true? No clue, I'm not in the mining business, but these are what I found.

Now, whats the effect on AMD? They get the money from the sales no doubt about it. From random tidbits on reddit (No clue if true), AMD still supports and is supporting mining, quietly I suspect. But unless AMD decides shift focus to mining, I think one day someone is going to make some ASIC with better performance and energy costs, and AMD cards will be left in the wind. Considering AMD's primary focus for these cards are for gamers, and considering the need for marketing (especially for word of mouth), I don't see the long-term benefit of AMD marketshare shinking due to cards being sold for mining.

Finally, here is an article on AMD vs Nvidia and Mining's Effects, broad but good read.
AMD 'could be devastated' by Mining - CCN: Financial Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency News

Yeap, it's obvious mining is not good for AMD because it leaves their gaming customers disillusioned because they cannot buy product at the price it was intended for them, nor can they buy product at the normal rate of availability. This leaves games frustrated so they move to competing products, and this is very bad. AMD on one hand wins in sales to the mining community but loses the market race to Nvidia, as Nvidia is there to gobble up buyers who could not buy into AMD. This further erodes their market share.

I've said this before, they need to make a mining version of their cards that separates the two communities from each other, ie, even better for mining but terrible for gaming. Though this isn't a simple decision either as it requires changes in their philosophy.

Yeap, it's obvious mining is not good for AMD because it leaves their gaming customers disillusioned because they cannot buy product at the price it was intended for them, nor can they buy product at the normal rate of availability. This leaves games frustrated so they move to competing products, and this is very bad. AMD on one hand wins in sales to the mining community but loses the market race to Nvidia, as Nvidia is there to gobble up buyers who could not buy into AMD. This further erodes their market share.

I've said this before, they need to make a mining version of their cards that separates the two communities from each other, ie, even better for mining but terrible for gaming. Though this isn't a simple decision either as it requires changes in their philosophy.

The issue with making a "mining-only" card (simple enough - don't put any monitor outputs on it) is that due to the way mining evolves AMD could easily end up with stacks of unsellable cards (rival chips, new GPUs, changes in algorithms, etc.).

It is far safer for AMD to build just video cards - if the miners want them they'll buy them, if they don't want them then people who want video cards will buy them instead.

The only way AMD would have any incentive to make mining-only cards would be if they created their own cryptocurrency so they could optimize it around their technology rather than the other way around.

The issue with making a "mining-only" card (simple enough - don't put any monitor outputs on it) is that due to the way mining evolves AMD could easily end up with stacks of unsellable cards (rival chips, new GPUs, changes in algorithms, etc.).

It is far safer for AMD to build just video cards - if the miners want them they'll buy them, if they don't want them then people who want video cards will buy them instead.

The only way AMD would have any incentive to make mining-only cards would be if they created their own cryptocurrency so they could optimize it around their technology rather than the other way around.

That doesn't do anything different than how things already are. They either choose to protect their consumer products from external markets or they don't. If they continue to lose gaming market share to competitors, then the day that miners move onto something else is the day AMD has zero share left.

Back