MSI Afterburner: RTX 2060 performs better with 80% power limit

chameleoneel

Supreme [H]ardness
As the title says, my RTX 2060 performs better when set to 80% power limit, with MSI Afterburner.

When I set this, According to the advanced monitoring view in Nvidia's overlay, my render latency is consistently lower, and my 99% fps are consistently higher. GPU clocks don't seem to be meaningfully different. Power usage is indeed notably lower.

I had been using like a 12 year old dual 12v rail power supply and thought it might be dying. So I replaced it just a couple of days ago with a brand new, modern, single rail PSU. And I get the same exact behavior.

Does you cars engine make more consistent horsepower when it's banging on the rev limiter? Easiest way I can attempt explain it really.

Does you cars engine make more consistent horsepower when it's banging on the rev limiter? Easiest way I can attempt explain it really.
if this were the case for the 2060, there would be numerous reviews reminding us to limit the power usage.

Sounds like a temperature issue. I don't think normally if you are not thermally limited that this would ever happen. Maybe your AIB 2060 with an excessively higher stock power limit that's overwhelming the cooling and its causing GPU boost to throttle.

It's certainly possible to have higher performance with a lower power limit compared to stock if you undervolt (achieve higher clocks with lower power), but it doesn't sound like you did that at all.

Sounds like a temperature issue. I don't think normally if you are not thermally limited that this would ever happen. Maybe your AIB 2060 with an excessively higher stock power limit that's overwhelming the cooling and its causing GPU boost to throttle.

It's certainly possible to have higher performance with a lower power limit compared to stock if you undervolt (achieve higher clocks with lower power), but it doesn't sound like you did that at all.
I did not do an undervolt. I simply lower the power slider in Afterburner to 80%.

Temps are great. I ghetto modded it with liquid Metal and replaced the fan and shroud with a 140mm Coolermaster fan designed for air pressure.

Tried this with my 2060 in Metro Exodus, and all I got was a lower boost clock, which = lower frames which results in ???? from me.

Tried this with my 2060 in Metro Exodus, and all I got was a lower boost clock, which = lower frames which results in ???? from me.

That's what should happen. Many times it's not substantial, but this is what normally happens. Lower boost clock/lower frames.

Please elaborate on my apparent transgression.

easy. Lowering your power target is nothing like bouncing off the rev limiter. You make it sound like increased performance due to lower power target is the norm. it isn’t. Quite the opposite.

My post referred only to consistency of frame rate by means of higher average clocks. In no way did I imply anything regarding what is normal for any given design. Your eagerness to refute others observations clouds your own.

My post referred only to consistency of frame rate by means of higher average clocks. In no way did I imply anything regarding what is normal for any given design. Your eagerness to refute others observations clouds your own.

OP said his frametimes were better. This isn’t the norm. You can keep trying to push that square peg in a round hole but it’s not gonna fit quite right no matter how you spin it.

Back