MrBeast Ranks as Highest-Paid YouTube Star Ever, Earning an Estimated $54 Million in 2021

I always think about one thing when I see posts like this and how much people make... like you think actors, musicians, and these YouTubers make "lots" of money... well just think for a second how much the fucking people who PAY these people actually make. I mean Google we know rakes in billions, Hollywood rakes in billions, and like you have to remember just how exponentially bigger the jump is from millionaire to billionaire.

133132331233.jpg

• 1 Billion dollars is 1000 times more than a million dollars. Think about it! It’s a ratio of 1:1000.
  • 1 billion dollars is a 10 figure number, while 1 million is 7 figures.
  • If someone made one million dollars a year, they would make about $480.77 per hour and $3,846.15 per day.
  • On the other hand, making a billion dollars per year would mean about $480,769 per hour and $3,846,153.85 per day.
  • 1 Million seconds in days= 11.57 Days
  • 1 Billion seconds in days= 11574.07 Days (31.7 years)

PewDiePie fell out of favor with Youtube and their advertisers when he became red pilled and started appealing to an older demographic.

Red Pilled seems a little misplaced here, from what I recall he told some pretty bad anti-semitic bordering on nazi jokes, and got a brief rebuke for it, but then everyone forgot and it continued as usual. I hadn't realized he had fallen by the wayside (though I never watched his stuff, only heard about him in the tech news)

I always think about one thing when I see posts like this and how much people make... like you think actors, musicians, and these YouTubers make "lots" of money... well just think for a second how much the fucking people who PAY these people actually make. I mean Google we know rakes in billions, Hollywood rakes in billions, and like you have to remember just how exponentially bigger the jump is from millionaire to billionaire.

View attachment 432111
  • 1 Billion dollars is 1000 times more than a million dollars. Think about it! It’s a ratio of 1:1000.
  • If someone made one million dollars a year, they would make about $480.77 per hour and $3,846.15 per day.
  • On the other hand, making a billion dollars per year would mean about $480,769 per hour and $3,846,153.85 per day.
What is the point you are making? Yes 1 billion is 1000 million, it is a magnitude larger jump than going from making 30.000 to 3 million a year. But I think in terms of quality of life going from a regular salary to millions is much more significant. I think my life would change less by going from a millionaire to billionaire, than going from middle class to millionaire.

Good point - I don't know how many sponsors he gets. He probably lost a lot of money when he started making anti-semetic jokes a few years ago.
He didn't make anti-semitic jokes. He did a stunt where he paid some guys in another country to pull pranks on video and THEY did the anti-semitic joke written on a white posterboard without Pewdiepie's previous knowledge. IIRC, his reaction to it wasn't livestreamed, so he's still responsible for airing the bit when he could have edited it out or canceled it altogether. Instead, he aired it in hopes that people would assume that he too was disgusted with it and laugh with him at their audacity.
Then cancel culture and blue check twits freaked out telling a different story.

Should that cause him to lose sponsors? Probably yes, in the end he was still responsible for airing it in the first place. But it's a big difference from him making anti-semitic jokes. IIRC, his viewership and subscriber levels actually went up slightly after that event due to the Streisand Effect but he may have lost sponsors and money overall.

Last edited:

View attachment 432111
Google still won't reveal what Youtube's operating margin is. Google's $180 billion in gross revenue is a number that doesn't mean much by itself.

I have only see a hand full of videos from them, most of them I haven't even heard of before. I don't know about the rest on the list but I do know Markiplier has a brother. You all know what needs to be done.

About the only Youtubers I remember is Forgotten Weapons, and Spacedock. Glad they cashed in, but I don't recognize any of their names.

People care about and watch random sports on TV.....
There are many older people that also just leave the TV/radio running while they do other things as background noise/pseudo company/distraction/out of habit. Same behavior can be seen for younger people leaving Youtube/streaming videos open and often for the same reason. Ironically it's a common shared experience yet most don't recognize it as such.

There are many older people that also just leave the TV/radio running while they do other things as background noise/pseudo company/distraction/out of habit. Same behavior can be seen for younger people leaving Youtube/streaming videos open and often for the same reason. Ironically it's a common shared experience yet most don't recognize it as such.
I do that now. I usually pop on a stream from one of the Vtubers I follow.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3n5uGu18FoCy23ggWWp8tA/featured

IMG_1582.JPEG

Linus is almost repulsive to me.
You're not alone, I got sick of him very quick due to extreme self-promotion he did/does. He was everywhere, he invited himself to random youtubers' shows, etc. Also, got tired of the "look, this PC has 128 cores and does sexual favors to boot" schtick. "Wow, isn't that fast?" without anything behind it. No story, no insight.
Mr. Ballen
The creepy stuff told in story form guy? I like him, but also stopped watching due to some repetitive writing they do. But I like him.
Also, don't recognize/follow any of the guys in that list.
The people I do follow, it's usually because I root for them. They're doing something cool without the typical asshole moves and they're growing in subs and views. Those I like.

You're not alone, I got sick of him very quick due to extreme self-promotion he did/does. He was everywhere, he invited himself to random youtubers' shows, etc. Also, got tired of the "look, this PC has 128 cores and does sexual favors to boot" schtick. "Wow, isn't that fast?" without anything behind it. No story, no insight.
I've never understood his popularity for a number of reasons. But you've really hit the nail on the head. He pretty much shows hardware without having any real technical insight into the product. You don't really learn anything from any of his videos. Of course, there must be a target audience for that because he's been successful.
The creepy stuff told in story form guy? I like him, but also stopped watching due to some repetitive writing they do. But I like him.
Also, don't recognize/follow any of the guys in that list.
The people I do follow, it's usually because I root for them. They're doing something cool without the typical asshole moves and they're growing in subs and views. Those I like.
I can't watch Mr. Ballen videos. Something about the voice and cadence of his narration annoys me.

To be fair he also gives out a lot of money. I don't understand why people watch that douche Jake Paul. I am surprised Linus isn't on it.

Jake Paul is the Boxing champion of the world =)

Logan Paul became popular after the Forest video.

Not shocked... and I've heard of almost all of them, even if I'd only ever watch a few at best (definitely not the Pauls).

This thread definitely has an "old man yells at cloud" vibe to it. The reality is that many younger people, and some not-so-young, prefer to watch YouTube and Twitch videos instead of TV. It's what they grew up with, and it more often appeals to their sensibilities than yet another formulaic drama/police procedural/sitcom, even if it's on a streaming service. You don't have to like the top YouTubers or Twitch streamers, but you do have to accept that video culture is unlikely to flip back any time soon.

I’ve only heard of Logan Paul and only heard about him a couple of days ago because he apparently spent some serious cash on some collectibles (GI Joes and stuff) and people were whining “HE SHOULD BE GIVING THAT MONEY TO CHARITY!!!!!! RAAAAAAWWRRR {insert more whining}”. I hardly watch any TV and by extension, YouTube.

No more. I can’t take it.

I’ve only heard of Logan Paul and only heard about him a couple of days ago because he apparently spent some serious cash on some collectibles (GI Joes and stuff) and people were whining “HE SHOULD BE GIVING THAT MONEY TO CHARITY!!!!!! RAAAAAAWWRRR {insert more whining}”. I hardly watch any TV and by extension, YouTube.
He’s a giant douche.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/youtuber-went-japan-suicide-forest-165717225.html

I stopped watching most youtube/twitch streaming. While I did run them in the background, I found it, not that helpful.

Not shocked... and I've heard of almost all of them, even if I'd only ever watch a few at best (definitely not the Pauls).

This thread definitely has an "old man yells at cloud" vibe to it. The reality is that many younger people, and some not-so-young, prefer to watch YouTube and Twitch videos instead of TV. It's what they grew up with, and it more often appeals to their sensibilities than yet another formulaic drama/police procedural/sitcom, even if it's on a streaming service. You don't have to like the top YouTubers or Twitch streamers, but you do have to accept that video culture is unlikely to flip back any time soon.
That's not where I'm coming from at all. I watch allot of YouTube content. More than conventional TV these days and I'm in my forties.

However, I'm just guessing that these people on the list aren't producers of the type of content or content on the subjects that interest me.

I was thinking of looking up these youtubers, but then realized... why. Na, I'm good.

I'll still watch the technical stuff/science stuff I want.

I recognize about half of the names, but most of them I've never been able to sit through more than like 10 consecutive seconds of.

Also, I looked up "Like Nastya," since it was the only one that appeared to be a woman. Holy shit, is that what passes for kids' programming these days? Who the heck is watching that?

I should add, there is plenty of great content on Youtube. I have a bunch of channels I'm subbed to where it's just a guy in his shop, working on cars or computers or whatever, and many of them seem like nice, insightful people. It's just that, apparently, that's not what makes YT the big ad dollars.

That's not where I'm coming from at all. I watch allot of YouTube content. More than conventional TV these days and I'm in my forties.

However, I'm just guessing that these people on the list aren't producers of the type of content or content on the subjects that interest me.
That's... reasonably accurate. MrBeast does some interesting charity work, Markiplier is a good game streamer (if definitely chasing after the mainstream) and Rhett & Link have some fun challenges, but they're not going to be very appealing if you're over 30. Of course, that's the beauty of YouTube... there are plenty of other options if the major ones don't fit.

Also, I looked up "Like Nastya," since it was the only one that appeared to be a woman. Holy shit, is that what passes for kids' programming these days? Who the heck is watching that?
I just did the same. I don’t … understand. I remember what I enjoyed watching as a kid and that is definitely not something I would’ve watched. I also would have hated the baby shark video as a kid but that has 10 billion views now so what do I know?

Kids are a massive market on YouTube though these days. Especially with COVID.

https://vancedapp.com

You've misspelled "not retarded".
Instead of Vanced, which is proprietary, I suggest using NewPipe ( https://newpipe.net/ ) . Its FOSS and has the same sort of mobile app that YTVanced does, with similar features and more! There's also a build with SponsorBlock integrated version - https://github.com/polymorphicshade/NewPipe . Both of these can be found downloaded directly as apks, or using F-Droid repositories on android devices. Want a desktop app for Win/Mac/Linux? FreeTube - https://freetubeapp.io/ - does what Vanced and/or Newpipe does, including SponsorBlock if desired while also being FOSS!

Don't want an app or stand alone? You can use a browser (preferably Firefox, though something based on Chromium will also likely work) with uBlock Origin, Sponsorblock, and other addons to customize your YT (and other site) experience! Also, I suggest Invidious ( https://github.com/iv-org/invidious - project links) a FOSS hosted frontend for YouTube to enhance privacy and other features, as well as avoid filter bubbling. (Nitter provides a similar setup for Twitter). A list of currently active instances are at https://docs.invidious.io/Invidious-Instances.md and/or https://redirect.invidious.io/ .

So there you go, a more private and user-focused way to watch YouTube! There are several analogs for Twitch as well, but I'll leave that for now since this is a YT focused thread (unless there's demand, I'll come back). However, I would be remiss to not suggest what I feel is the best long term open alternative to YouTube and Twitch alike: PeerTube ( https://joinpeertube.org/ ) . Unlike some others that are predicated on some cryptocurrency needlessly, PeerTube is a FOSS, decentralized, federated (thanks to supporting ActivityPub, it is part of the Fediverse and easily interacts with other related projects like Mastodon, Friendica, Diaspora, Pixelfed, and the like) platform for video/media hosting and now even live streaming! It is free of censorship en masse because it works more akin to email , XMPP or Matrix - users can sign up on any server, and see content on other servers from there; so you sign up on one that has rules to which you agree or run your own! Unlike some others its actually decentralized and not beholden to propping up some particular form of crypto project, users of a server instance can decide what monetization they wish independently from ads, to subscriptions, donations , premium status with the whole instance, or something else entirely. Much better than having a couple of megacorps basically hosting, curating, and datamining the hell out of everything where catering to "the algorithm" is the most important thing. If you're not familiar with PeerTube, look into it - but just remember that its a niche service so it will be used primarily by early adopters and those that (for one reason or another, including getting banned) aren't on the big names. It has been growing, but if you see an entire instance full of cryptobro garbage/NFTs/scam ads or political opinions you don't like, look elsewhere - its not the entire network, but different servers have different content and rules. So yeah, check it out sometime and help to make it a better future for video hosting and streaming!

Edit: To discuss some of the streamers on YT themselves, I only have passing familiarity. Does anyone know exactly how MrBeast got to this self sustaining moneypit setup? I haven't really watched his content but i remember him having a "I ate the most expensive food in the world, one meal is like 5 or 6 figures" video and inviting a viewer to come along. Clearly this isn't the kind of stuff you can do until you're making those millions, no matter how many you give away. What did he do to get up to that level that got such a huge payoff to allow him to do all the things that involve throwing a lot of money around?

What is the point you are making? Yes 1 billion is 1000 million, it is a magnitude larger jump than going from making 30.000 to 3 million a year. But I think in terms of quality of life going from a regular salary to millions is much more significant. I think my life would change less by going from a millionaire to billionaire, than going from middle class to millionaire.
I think you're saying two separate things here, a salary from million to billion is not necessary to be a millionaire or billionaire, virtually no one who is a billionaire is making a salary of 1B per year, and if you talk about total assets I'm a millionaire by every metric of the word and I most definitely am not making any where close to a million per year, I was smart with my money when younger, bought property when affordable, invested what I didn't need to live, and but I would in no way consider myself as being "rich" either. Now I recall back to my early adult years to now, and I don't think that my life change from "thousandaire" to millionaire would be a bigger quality of life jump than millionaire to billionaire, but I have no point of reference for the later obviously.

Now if you're talking about making 1M+ per year versus 1B+ per year, then yeah that QoL change isn't as big in the later jump than the former. Although if you were making 1B+ per year you could be someone who really shapes the world ... if that's your thing, e.g. you're not just sitting around in a nice house relaxing all day long, you're buying hospitals, you're feeding everyone who's hungry in the whole state... or starting some super secret game of death involving poor people :)

I think you're saying two separate things here, a salary from million to billion is not necessary to be a millionaire or billionaire, virtually no one who is a billionaire is making a salary of 1B per year, and if you talk about total assets I'm a millionaire by every metric of the word and I most definitely am not making any where close to a million per year,
I misspoke I wanted to say going from 30.000 / year to 3 million a year is a bigger change than between making 3 milllion a year and being a billionaire.
I was smart with my money when younger, bought property when affordable, invested what I didn't need to live, and but I would in no way consider myself as being "rich" either.
Now to me as being from the former communist bloc that is completely unfathomable. I never even dreamed of having spare money to buy property. My first job I took during school paid minimum wage, which was about $1200 / year at the time, no that's not a typo. But that's besides the point.
Now I recall back to my early adult years to now, and I don't think that my life change from "thousandaire" to millionaire would be a bigger quality of life jump than millionaire to billionaire, but I have no point of reference for the later obviously.
That's why I said going from making 30.000 to 3 million, and not simply becoming a millionaire. For the second part I mistakenly said going from millionaire to billionaire.
Now if you're talking about making 1M+ per year versus 1B+ per year, then yeah that QoL change isn't as big in the later jump than the former. Although if you were making 1B+ per year you could be someone who really shapes the world ... if that's your thing, e.g. you're not just sitting around in a nice house relaxing all day long, you're buying hospitals, you're feeding everyone who's hungry in the whole state... or starting some super secret game of death involving poor people :)
Yeah but that is no longer quality of life change, it's the power to make a difference beyond your own neighborhood. But I've never even been a dollar millionaire, yet for where I live I think I'm doing OK.

So i had no idea who this guy was but i checked out of curiosity. He is the same guy who made that Honey commercial where he yells at you "I have a challenge for you!". That commercial made me so mad i complainwd to honey about it. They have a new comercial which is asmr like so i figure i was not the only person complaining. The commercial was practically a jump scare imho

Back