Mp3 & Pen Drive problem

Dr BoB

n00b
Hi there ..... I don't know if this is the right place to post this message .... If it's not in the right forum please let me know.
A friend of mine got a new Mp3 and pen drive 128 MB from Malaysia. And his kiddo formatted it by accident and it doesn't wanna work again.
I tried to install the software that came with it but it keeps giving me errors. I tried to find what's the manufacturer, but i couldn't find anything that would help? ... I looked every where in the CD .... the word files ... the pdf files .... the icons .... the pics .... the manual .... nothing. It 's obviously a generic.
The driver is called Sigma tel Mscn audio driver .... i googled a lot trying to find any clue but most of the pages are in chinese.
I downloaded many drivers under the name of "Sigma tel Mscn audio driver" but they don't recognize the pen drive.
By the way the computer recognizes the pen drive very smoothly. And i know he can use it only for data this way but i am trying to help him playing Mp3's again on it because that's why he got it for his kiddo.
So does anyone have a clue ? Is there any software that could solve the problem?
Thanks for your time.

No, he should be able to put MP3s on it again when you get it working...

So you say it detects in device manager ok? Your saying that it doesn't appear in the explorer window?

Canon said:
No, he should be able to put MP3s on it again when you get it working...

So you say it detects in device manager ok? Your saying that it doesn't appear in the explorer window?

He's saying that it's also an mp3 player as well as a standard usb drive. When the kiddo formatted it, it forgot that it's also an mp3 player. So yes, it holds files, but it doesn't play anymore (it has a headphone jack, dials, etc etc).

That could be bad.

The MP3 player capabilities may have been software driven instead of hardware driven so when the kiddo formatted it, bye bye mp3 software.

Maybe a piece of software exists that can recover delted files from USB drives. Stop writing things to the drive and look into this possibility immediately.

Other than that, only the vendor will be able to supply the correct software to make that generic thing work again.

I know there was a hot deal or a fatwallet thread on a similar device posted -- maybe the software for one of those would work? Try thinkgeek.com -- they always have strange things like that and usually they're generic. . . they also like to post links to sofware so you can set it up before the device comes in. . .

AR said:
He's saying that it's also an mp3 player as well as a standard usb drive. When the kiddo formatted it, it forgot that it's also an mp3 player. So yes, it holds files, but it doesn't play anymore (it has a headphone jack, dials, etc etc).

That's right AR ....

blackrino9 said:
That could be bad.

The MP3 player capabilities may have been software driven instead of hardware driven so when the kiddo formatted it, bye bye mp3 software.

Maybe a piece of software exists that can recover delted files from USB drives. Stop writing things to the drive and look into this possibility immediately.

Other than that, only the vendor will be able to supply the correct software to make that generic thing work again.

Well yes it's a software problem and not a hardware one.
The vendor is in Malaysia .... so there is no way to contact it whatsoever .... It's a NO BRAND PIECE .... moreover there is no website address neither in the manual nor in the CD that came with it.

AR said:
I know there was a hot deal or a fatwallet thread on a similar device posted -- maybe the software for one of those would work? Try thinkgeek.com -- they always have strange things like that and usually they're generic. . . they also like to post links to sofware so you can set it up before the device comes in. . .

I will try thinkgeek and i will let you know if i find anything .....
Thanks.

Canon said:
The computer detects the device properly and it appears in the explorer window as well. It's a software issue rather than a hardware one.
I need to find the proper software to install on the device to play Mp3 again rather than being only capable of holding data.

AR said:
I looked everywhere in thinkgeek.com but unfortunately i couldn't find anything that might help.
Any new ideas or thoughts ???

Dr BoB said:
The computer detects the device properly and it appears in the explorer window as well. It's a software issue rather than a hardware one.
I need to find the proper software to install on the device to play Mp3 again rather than being only capable of holding data.
Cool. I figured they would have had the software on it stored in a more permanent chip than the main Flash chip where you store all the music and the files. That's why I said that.

Good luck with it. Generic electronics (especially when dealing with computer electronics) are a royal pain in the butt. Best of luck.

blackrino9 said:
Did you look into undelete software? (see previous post)
Actually i did not. It was deleted at my friend's computer. Then he gave it to me to figure out any solution.
I will try to look for such a software that can recover deleted files from USB drives, as you said. I haven't heard though of such a software before, have you?
Anyway Thanks blackrino9 for your help.
I will let you know if it works.

Canon said:
Generic electronics (especially when dealing with computer electronics) are a royal pain in the butt.
They are really a major pain in the butt. Thanks anyway Canon for your help.

Back