Move Windows install to different hardware

Sprtfan

Limp Gawd
My daughters computer needs an upgrade. I tried to move the ssd to a newer computer but couldn't get it to boot. I'm guessing the hardware is to different for Windows 10 to deal with. I'd normally have just done a clean install but she has some apps/games that no longer appear to be available in the Windows store that she doesn't want to lose. I'm not real sure if the progress she has made in those games move with them also. I used to use sysprep on the system before moving the hard drive but thought there was probably a better way since I've last done that. I saw something from Microsoft partnering with PC Mover Laplink but I'm not sure if it will do what I need. I also saw that Aomei backupper had a paid version that said it could deal with dissimilar hardware. Any recommendations or thoughts?

My daughters computer needs an upgrade. I tried to move the ssd to a newer computer but couldn't get it to boot. I'm guessing the hardware is to different for Windows 10 to deal with. I'd normally have just done a clean install but she has some apps/games that no longer appear to be available in the Windows store that she doesn't want to lose. I'm not real sure if the progress she has made in those games move with them also. I used to use sysprep on the system before moving the hard drive but thought there was probably a better way since I've last done that. I saw something from Microsoft partnering with PC Mover Laplink but I'm not sure if it will do what I need. I also saw that Aomei backupper had a paid version that said it could deal with dissimilar hardware. Any recommendations or thoughts?
as long and the bios is set the same for legacy vs uefi and the same sata settings(ahci), it should boot.

as long and the bios is set the same for legacy vs uefi and the same sata settings(ahci), it should boot.
Thanks, I'll give it another try and double check to make sure I have it set correctly. I'm moving from a i5 2500k to Ryzen 3 3200G and thought the age and switch from intel and AMD might have been asking to much.

Thanks, I'll give it another try and double check to make sure I have it set correctly. I'm moving from a i5 2500k to Ryzen 3 3200G and thought the age and switch from intel and AMD might have been asking to much.
your 2500 might have been legacy, so try flipping the ryzen to legacy mode, it should fire right up. ive flipped a test ssd with 10 pro on it between dozens of different systems, amd and intel and it fires right up after doing the "setting up hardware" screen for a couple minutes. my current install have gone amd fx to intel c2d and back to fx and then to ryzen, no issues.

Back