MOVE TO OVERCLOCKING PLEASE. Underclock or under volt 9600k?

compcons

Limp Gawd
This should be in overclocking. Sorry!

I am not a big overclocking guru by any stretch of the imagination (I think most BIOSes have an "auto" option that I may check from time to time) but I definitely have never lowered clocks or voltages before. Having zero experience, I figured I would get some opinions and guidance before making changes.

I am converting an ITX system with an i5-9600k into an OPNsense firewall. I will do IPS and IDS on it, but I think the CPU is way more than is necessary for the workload so I wanted to see what I could do to keep things as cool and stable as possible. It's in a Dan A4 case and nestled in an open closet with okay air flow around it. The CPU cooler is low profile and I would like to just keep it down a few degrees. I don't need to push it down to the barest minimum, but I would like to just take a swipe at some settings that will keep it happy. I am sure there is a "too low" setting for voltage, but what about the CPU frequency?

Are there just some safe BIOS settings to drop the frequencies and voltages without extensive tweaking? Do I need to do anything to the RAM and PCIe slot if I monkey with the CPU voltage?

Asrock z370itx/AC (saved from ebay with bent pins)
i5-9600k
2x8 GB DDR4 2400
Intel Pro 1000 VT 4 port PCIe 4x NIC

Thanks!

Last edited:
You can lower the long and short term power limits in the BIOS, and with speed step it should keep the voltages low. Make sure enhanced turbo or MCE is disabled.

You can lower the long and short term power limits in the BIOS, and with speed step it should keep the voltages low. Make sure enhanced turbo or MCE is disabled.

That's what I would recommend also.

Back