Move to "Gaming Headset"?

BroHamBone

[H]ard|Gawd
Current audio setup

A900x
AT2020 USB+
Creative SBZ

I play 99% FPS gaming and 1% music.
When gaming I keep "Scout Mode" option from the SB on to lighten the bass.

Background;
I started w/ Logitech headsets w/ Mic. Lots of bass. I did lots of research and moved to ATH A700s, then ATH A900x. I had Mod mics on them, but the cords have been damaged beyond repair. I currently have an ATH AT2020 USB condensor mic. I love the mic, but it does its job too well!

I love my A900x headphones and dont want to move away from them, but I want to get a different microphone as the AT2020 pics up every tiny sound available.

So I either want to get a new microphone (possibly the wireless modmic), or get a new gaming headset. The only worries is I dont want to lose that sound quality with moving to a "gaming headset" as well as render my sound card useless due a good amount of headsets being USB.

Any comments/suggestions/questions?

Sorry if this was confusing, my brain has to much going on atm....

Try a dynamic mic instead of a condensor.
Picking up every little sound is a 'feature' of condensor mics :)

yea, understand. I bought it for that reason...but ended up not using it for that reason :)
I'm trying out a Shure Beta58A for the purpose now, running into an Audient Evo4 audio interface. It exists in that 'no man's land' between the cheap mics and the ubiquitous SM7b.

Have you looked at the Sennheiser Game One or Game Zero headsets? I use the Game One as my 'gaming headset' while still keeping a nice pair of dedicated cans for any time I don't need a mic. They're both analog, the only difference is the Game One is open back and the Game Zero is closed back. Very comfortable, great sound, and a pretty decent mic.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
Have you looked at the Sennheiser Game One or Game Zero headsets? I use the Game One as my 'gaming headset' while still keeping a nice pair of dedicated cans for any time I don't need a mic. They're both analog, the only difference is the Game One is open back and the Game Zero is closed back. Very comfortable, great sound, and a pretty decent mic.
I'll add the Massdrop version, the PC-37X to that list.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
I'll add the Massdrop version, the PC-37X to that list.
The PC37x is the Game One (open back). If you're wanting closed back, you'll need to look at the Game Zero. The PC37x is a fantastic gaming headset for the money.

The PC37x is the Game One (open back). If you're wanting closed back, you'll need to look at the Game Zero. The PC37x is a fantastic gaming headset for the money.

Yeah, funny how the various "revisions" of the original Sennheiser PC 360 have held up quite well over the years (PC 360, G4ME, Game One, PC 373, PC 37x, etc).
I do think that if Sennheiser wants to put pressure on the likes of Cooler Master (MH751/752) or Kingston (HyperX lineup), they need to cut the price of that headphone down to $99 USD -- a really aggressive move would be to push it to $79-89.
I feel that's a needed move, since Sennheiser's GSP line didn't really take off amongst the "gamer" crowd (fittingly so, since the head fit hurts, if you'll excuse my pun).

My ancient HD555 cans that had previously pulled work duty are / were the most comfortable headphones I've worn. I'm still somewhat surprised that Sennheiser didn't move the HD660s to that design, though also not too surprised that they didn't given the continuing legacy of the older platform.

Still, those cans with a decent inline mic -- or better, with a clean USB inline amp and an above-average mic -- Sennheiser should have and still could clean house.

Their biggest problem is that it's hard to compete with Taiwanese companies that have the inside track with Chinese OEMs that have been successfully copying Japanese engineering for decades.

Thanks for all the ideas....I dont really want to, but now im swaying toward wireless.... ugh.

So Im looking for a wireless gaming headset now. I currently have the Creative SBZ sound card, and I believe it allows more accuracy on sound. I have experienced multiple times where I've heard footsteps that none of my other mates have heard...which I wanna chalk it up to not paying attention, but believe its because of my sound. We are all pretty competitive, so I imagine it woulda been something they heard or were paying attention for. This has happened over many of different FPS games....

Jeff, I looked into those...and I love the brand but read that they fell short and more of a "gimmick" that Sennheiser pushed out.

So now the list im looking at includes;

Steelseries Arctis (7 or Pro )
Corsair HS70
Sennheiser GSP 670
Hyper X Cloud S? or other version?

Check out the Corsair Virtuoso RGB. It has a better mic than the Corsair Virtuoso RGB SE, so no point in spending the extra money.

So now the list im looking at includes;

Steelseries Arctis (7 or Pro )
Corsair HS70
Sennheiser GSP 670
Hyper X Cloud S? or other version?

I have the Arctis 7 and have tried the HS70. The wireless is nice but I much prefer the sound and comfort of my cheap ass SHP9500s with Vmoda Boom Pro.

Anything with "gaming" attached to the name often has a higher price and lower quality = marketing at its best

I just bought a ModMic for my Senn 598's and tadda!

https://antlionaudio.com/

I'm full circle. Crappy gaming headset to Senn HD650's/ModMic, now back to a Logitech Pro X headset and couldn't be happier. All the extra cables and bulk associated with that "good" setup just wasn't worth it for me. Life is much better now with a single lightweight cable.

I'm full circle. Crappy gaming headset to Senn HD650's/ModMic, now back to a Logitech Pro X headset and couldn't be happier. All the extra cables and bulk associated with that "good" setup just wasn't worth it for me. Life is much better now with a single lightweight cable.
How do you like the Logitech Pro X, compared to your HD650?

How do you like the Logitech Pro X, compared to your HD650?

Ultimately, very happy. Should say first though that, i'm not bothered by a lot of the things users around here seem to be bothered by. The Logitech GHUB software being one. I like the integration it has and is a central point for me to control my headset, mouse and keyboard. I like all the settings I have for sound output AND the Blue Voice microphone tuning. The headset itself took some getting used to, I had to swap out the fake leather pads that came on them with the softer fabric pads that came in the box which helped a bunch.

Moving back to a closed back headphone style was a bit weird, however the Logitech software also has a zero latency adjustable volume sidetone function so i can feed in as much or as little of my own voice as I wish so its much easier to talk.

Speaking of, everyone I play with usually comments on how good I sound, and those are people using much more expensive desktop mics. There is a LOT of tuning potential in the software. This is the software so if you like to tweak, its all there.

They are very well built and solid, no complaints there.

I just came to the realization that I don't sit and listen to music at my computer, in fact outside of my car I don't sit and listen to music at all. The convienence of the Pro X's just outweighed the perceived by some quality of the HD650's, Modmic, Schiit Stack bundle.

I just went through multiple gaming headsets and landed on Razer. I tried out the HyperX Cloud Alpha and liked that more than the Arctis 7.

Using the Razer Blackhead V2 Pro right now ($180). I think it may be a bit overpriced but the audio quality is fantastic. Problem is Synapse has been acting up lately, but I think that's my system issue more than anything. Hate to add a new one to your list but did want to mention it.

I just had a dog chew off one of my Sennheiser Game One's ears. Debating a direct replacement which would make this my third in this line of headsets and fifth Sennheiser pair.

Thanks for the Massdrop link upstream, it's a little cheaper than the standard one and apparently Sennheiser has been bought out by some conglomerate. I don't know if it's affected with QC or build quality at all. I'm also considering the wirehead Razer headset - are they all day comfortable, Mosie100 ? The wired ones are $30 less than another Sennheiser set and I'm considering switching to closed cans anyway.

Last edited:
Back