Move iPod Touch to new account

BiH115

Gif Guy
Hey all,

Been googling the issue I have, but did not find EXACTLY the steps I need to accomplish what I want, and didn't feel like opening up a new account on a foreign thread. :D

Question I have is, I have an iPod touch, I don't use it anymore (have iPhone 4 and new iPad), so what I need to do is remove it from my current apple ID, then empty it out (reset to factory, I think I know what I'm doing there), and then put it on his account.

What are the steps for this? If replying, please make it as detailed as possible, to avoid confusion of course.

Thank you!

The easiest way (assuming you don't need to jailbreak and just want it running the newest iOS release) is to just turn the iPod off, then plug it into the computer (while holding the home button) running iTunes that you want to use it on. It'll pop up in restore mode, which will force iTunes to wipe and reload it with the newest OS for that iPod.

1. Turn off iPod.
2. While iPod is off, hold down the home button and plug it into the computer
3. Wait for iTunes to detect it
4. Click yes a whole bunch of times to wipe it and update to the newest iOS release

That should be pretty much it.

Thanks for the reply!

So going with #1 and #2 steps, I should have it turned off, then plug it in, THEN hold down home? Little unclear. Will this also get rid of the account on there, so I can set it up on his computer with a new account?

Thanks for the reply!

So going with #1 and #2 steps, I should have it turned off, then plug it in, THEN hold down home? Little unclear. Will this also get rid of the account on there, so I can set it up on his computer with a new account?

The iPod should be off, you hold down the home button and then plug it in. It puts the iPod into "Restore Mode" which you can only leave by a complete re-installation of the iPod OS.

Once the initial installation is complete, iTunes should allow you to set it up as a new device.

Settings>general>reset>erase all content and settings.

Wipes e device, keeps the os. Takes 30 seconds

Back