Mousepad review THG (gripe)

i thought about that one but they could of went and bought one i'm sure THg makes enought cash to get one. i also would put money on it some of there staff have one at home.

i emailed the author of that article too.

In no way did they say this was a comprehensive test. Very rarely do review sites go out and just buy products just to test them...it would get a tad expensive. Hardocp reviews one or two products at a time all the time. I don't understand your gripe. It’s not like they claimed to have reviewed every major mouse pad. I don't see your complaint at all.

i say 80% if not more people have or will use ratpadz or everglide over any of those mousepads that they reviewed. there on top of the mouse pad world and not to include them is really an insult.

again this is all my opinion.

In a way I'm glad they didn't do the Ratpadz. For one, Kyle would have had to bid the highest amount to get the winning review from THG. Second, Tom uses his own magical testing methods that in no way reflect the actual usage of a product, never explains his testing methodologies, nor how or why something is good or bad. Besides the winning mousepad they reviewed looks really nice, but you can't seem to buy it anywhere. Their website offers no price, no links to anyone who sells it, nor do any of the big online retailers carry it. Pretty useless to review a product that isn't to be found anywhere, in my opinion.

I just take it he caters to the knewbs of the intornet world.

That review was a stupid as my last sentence. His reviews seem to focus on lesser products and doesn't include the pads that would tromp the other ones.

Ratpadz
Everpuke (sorry I am biased)
fUnc

These three are tops.

On the other hand maybe he is just advertising for those other companies. ;)

Cheers,

Is the XRayPad made by the people that do the funC pad, or did they just blatantly rip the idea off?

Note: I have a func 1030 and I think it is leaps and bounds better than the ratpad I had.

Hardly any mousepad roundup features all the pads out there. IMO the new ratpadz is a piece of shit good for nothing other then rapeing the feet off the bottom of a mouse. Its not going to give you any better performance over the rest of the top of the line pads out there and it will kill the bottom of a mouse twice as fast. Plus the pad itself wears out quickly.

Tomshardware was probably catering to the other products that dont get mentioned very often. Steel Pads are really good mouse pads. Everyone reviews the fUnc 1030 and Ratpadz so i could care less if i ever seen ither of them in a review again.

My RatpadzGS wore out completely in like 2 weeks. The fact that Kyle has not so much as mentioned the damned thing in a year makes me wonder if it just didn't turn out as planned.

Who cares, Tom's had zero credibility as far as anyone with half a brain is concerned.

- They don't test a product unless they're given one

- They don't give a product a favourable review unless they're paid to

Tangentially related, but if you use a Ratpadz buy a SteelPad or a fUnc; if you're a rational human being, you'll agree with the rest of us that they wipe the floor with a Ratpadz GS. I, like Killa, was extremely disappointed at its lack of durability, and I know this isn't an isolated problem by any means. Hopefully the third generation product will be able to compete with some of the other brands on the market these days.

Originally posted by Filter

i know everyone either hates them or likes THG

There are people on this forum that LIKE THG? God... we need to do some serious purgin' of the membership. ;)

Calling many of the mousepads reviewed inferior is a matter of opinion and not fact. I will add my opinion to the mix:

I have a Ratpadz GS as well as fUnc 1030 and find them both collecting dust. Instead, im using the Icemat that was reviewed (had it for a while now) and am quite satisfied. It is the best mousepad for gaming I have ever used. While the fUnc I did find impressive, the Ratpadz turned out to be a disappointment as it wore out very quickly.

Also, I share the general distate of THG but I don't think the review claimed to be an all-encompassing one. The omission of the Ratpadz GS (a flawed product IMHO) is hardly anything to get worked up about.

My mouse pad is the entire right side of my desk:
workstation.jpg

:)

Am I the only one who doesn't use a mouse pad?!? I like a lot of space, and a non-raised area. Nothing worse then playing a game and having to lift up your mouse and return to the center of the pad.

Originally posted by PlaneCrazy
My mouse pad is the entire right side of my desk:
workstation.jpg

:)

Am I the only one who doesn't use a mouse pad?!? I like a lot of space, and a non-raised area. Nothing worse then playing a game and having to lift up your mouse and return to the center of the pad.

Unless the desk is made of glass or metal, it's going to eat the nylon feet on your mouse, and the combination of sweat and friction will eventually wear a hole in the veneer, or leave nasty pits and discolouration on solid wood. Also no desk I'm aware of has a surface as consistent or with just the right amount of resistance as the best mousepads.

So what seems like a good idea now might not be down the road.

Originally posted by PlaneCrazy

Am I the only one who doesn't use a mouse pad?!?

No, because I use a Logitech Trackman which doesn't use a mousepad.
However I do own a couple of Ratpadz GS's and last used it to cut up a Scorpion snack. They also work great as a cutting board :)

Originally posted by OTL
Who cares, Tom's had zero credibility as far as anyone with half a brain is concerned.

- They don't test a product unless they're given one

- They don't give a product a favourable review unless they're paid to

Thats a load of BS. Anyone with half a brain wouldn't get caught up in whatever other hardware sites are saying about each others credibility. I've seen as many errors and mistakes and one sided articles posted on Anandtech, X-bit Labs, Aces Hardware and others as Tomshardware ever did. The whole reason people are against tomshardware is because they dont mimick what people want to hear like the other hardware sites. Most of you havn't been around long enough to remember Tomshardware and how they were considered AMD and ATI bias. They even pointed out so many problems with the Intel processors a few years back that Intel wouldn't send them processors for testing for quite a while. They had to get all their products downstream from another supplier. As of late there have been several controversial reviews posted on Tomshardware that has alot to do with their poor changeover in staff. There are still several good reviewers on Tomshardware that i know personally.

Tomshardware has always been considered bias according to the fanboy on the other side. There was a huge poll on Newegg not long ago for the best hardware site and Tomshardware had more votes then HardOCP, Anandtech, Xbit-Labs, Extreme Tech, and all the others in the running combined with several thousands of votes. People get caught up in forum loyalty and believe what others are saying on the forum as if they would actually know when they rarely have a clue whats actually going on.

Tomshardware has always pointed out the faults no matter how extreme they may be in the hardware when most others will not. The reason being is that hardware vendors dont make a practice of having good relations with those that dog on their products. AMD for one gives out WAY more free products for review than Intel ever has. So maybe people should stop and think who actually has the most reasons to be bias. Tomshardware isn't making money and getting more free products by dogging on AMD and ATI which they haven't even been doing lately. Other hardware sites are getting tons of products to review because they can be trusted to give their product a descent review and not hit on its faults. I've seen other hardware sites like Tech Report and even magazines like MaximumPC saying and showing the same things that Tomshardware is. Up until the release of the FX-53 the 3.2EE was named the top processor by MaximumPC.

Just because something is posted on a hardware site doesn't make it true. The review is posted by people that could or could not have much of an idea what their even talking about. Thats why you see reviews for PSU's and RAM and other things posted on alot of these hardware sites when they have no flipping idea how to even test it right and yet people believe whatever they say.

Originally posted by OTL
Unless the desk is made of glass or metal, it's going to eat the nylon feet on your mouse, ...

?? It works perfectly for me, it's super smooth, it's a $20 used desk. If it really wears the mouse down that much I will realize I need to go outside more, and I will buy a new mouse :)

Originally posted by OTL
Unless the desk is made of glass or metal, it's going to eat the nylon feet on your mouse, and the combination of sweat and friction will eventually wear a hole in the veneer, or leave nasty pits and discolouration on solid wood. Also no desk I'm aware of has a surface as consistent or with just the right amount of resistance as the best mousepads.

So what seems like a good idea now might not be down the road.

Nope.... Been using my logitech on a tile desk for two years now and there is just a bit of wear on the feet... still feels as smooth as the day I bought it though.

Originally posted by burningrave101
Thats a load of BS. Anyone with half a brain wouldn't get caught up in whatever other hardware sites are saying about each others credibility. I've seen as many errors and mistakes and one sided articles posted on Anandtech, X-bit Labs, Aces Hardware and others as Tomshardware ever did. The whole reason people are against tomshardware is because they dont mimick what people want to hear like the other hardware sites. Most of you havn't been around long enough to remember Tomshardware and how they were considered AMD and ATI bias. They even pointed out so many problems with the Intel processors a few years back that Intel wouldn't send them processors for testing for quite a while. They had to get all their products downstream from another supplier. As of late there have been several controversial reviews posted on Tomshardware that has alot to do with their poor changeover in staff. There are still several good reviewers on Tomshardware that i know personally.

Tomshardware has always been considered bias according to the fanboy on the other side. There was a huge poll on Newegg not long ago for the best hardware site and Tomshardware had more votes then HardOCP, Anandtech, Xbit-Labs, Extreme Tech, and all the others in the running combined with several thousands of votes. People get caught up in forum loyalty and believe what others are saying on the forum as if they would actually know when they rarely have a clue whats actually going on.

Tomshardware has always pointed out the faults no matter how extreme they may be in the hardware when most others will not. The reason being is that hardware vendors dont make a practice of having good relations with those that dog on their products. AMD for one gives out WAY more free products for review than Intel ever has. So maybe people should stop and think who actually has the most reasons to be bias. Tomshardware isn't making money and getting more free products by dogging on AMD and ATI which they haven't even been doing lately. Other hardware sites are getting tons of products to review because they can be trusted to give their product a descent review and not hit on its faults. I've seen other hardware sites like Tech Report and even magazines like MaximumPC saying and showing the same things that Tomshardware is. Up until the release of the FX-53 the 3.2EE was named the top processor by MaximumPC.

Just because something is posted on a hardware site doesn't make it true. The review is posted by people that could or could not have much of an idea what their even talking about. Thats why you see reviews for PSU's and RAM and other things posted on alot of these hardware sites when they have no flipping idea how to even test it right and yet people believe whatever they say.

I'm not judging Tom's on what I read at other sites, but from their own conduct displayed on their own website over the last several years.

Your post is too long-winded for a random [H] forum reply.

You can't review a product that you don't have.... It's as simple as that.

It's OK to gripe about a review... that happens all the time. You can't make everyone happy.

Hatred for the reviewer or the website is another thing, if you don't like it, start doing your own reviews.

You will find it's much tougher than it looks.

not5150
www.not5150.com

Originally posted by blip
Nope.... Been using my logitech on a tile desk for two years now and there is just a bit of wear on the feet... still feels as smooth as the day I bought it though.

Well you know what I mean.:) Common sense applies.

Originally posted by not5150
You can't review a product that you don't have.... It's as simple as that.

It's OK to gripe about a review... that happens all the time. You can't make everyone happy.

Hatred for the reviewer or the website is another thing, if you don't like it, start doing your own reviews.

You will find it's much tougher than it looks.

not5150
www.not5150.com

i think it comes down to the long term [H]er's now why THG didnt include the rat padz still cant think of why they didnt include everglide though.

It's a mousepad review.

Seriously.

When I read a review of something like mousepads or mice, I could absolutely care less that they talk about the 'mainstream' stuff. I read such reviews to find out about new products I'm not already aware of.

Erik

Originally posted by Dem
It's a mousepad review.

Seriously.

When I read a review of something like mousepads or mice, I could absolutely care less that they talk about the 'mainstream' stuff. I read such reviews to find out about new products I'm not already aware of.

Erik

Yea no kidding. The fact that there are 500 reviews covering the fUnc 1030 and Ratpadz GS i think people should already know how both of them perform very well. Its nice to read a mousepad roundup and see some other options reviewed besides the obvious.

Originally posted by OTL
I'm not judging Tom's on what I read at other sites, but from their own conduct displayed on their own website over the last several years.

Your post is too long-winded for a random [H] forum reply.

awesome, you can't even give a coherent reply supporting your arguement. more evidence that thg hatred is just spread by fanboys.

Back