Mouse wheel acceleration is a game changer

DPI

[H]F Junkie
I don't know how many dozens of mice I've been through looking for my crossroads of perfection:

- Ultra-light, around 53g (i.e. Cooler Master MM710)
- Wired-level responsiveness - "Zero" lag, high polling rate - became more important and evident with a 120Hz monitor
- The wheel of the Logitech MX Master series

I've appreciated Logitech's MX wheel since it lets you zing it to get to the end of a long document or page quickly, yet goes a notch at a time when moved slowly. However all the Logitech's I've tried - MX Master 1, 2 and 3 - are either heavy or responsiveness is laggy due to bluetooth/wireless. The Cooler Master MM710 was cheap, and opened the door to ultralight mice for me, but the notched wheel is cumbersome to navigate long documents or pages with. Increasing the "number of lines to scroll" in Windows mouse properties also isn't a solution.

I wondered if "wheel acceleration" existed similar to mouse movement acceleration. It did, it does, in a piece of software called ScrollNavigator. Here you can actually set an acceleration curve for the wheel. Defaults are still fine for me, but this has been a game changer that's allowed me to not miss the Logitech MX wheel on any of the wired mice including the CM MM710 that I currently run. Highly recommended.

1624219435619.png

Is this similar to the "free wheel" that's available on the G502 (and probably the MX master?) or am I completely off base?

Is this similar to the "free wheel" that's available on the G502 (and probably the MX master?) or am I completely off base?

Yeah it's the same. There are a couple wireless logitech mice that have them, but their lightest, the G Pro X, just has the normal scroll wheel. That's one of the reasons I still use the G903, it's the best wireless mouse that has the toggleable scroll wheel and dpi switches on the top.
The lighter the mouse the better, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the scroll wheel or dpi switches.

Some apps like Discord have a scrolling acceleration type feature built in and it's annoying AF. Sometimes I just want to quickly scroll things and scan them, I do not want to jump all the way to the fucking bottom or top just because I scrolled faster.

Back