Mouse for when my right arm is in a sling

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
I use my mouse with my right hand. I am supposed to have surgery on my right shoulder and the doc said that I need to wear a sling for 4-6 weeks, so I could work on my PC (desktop) with only my left hand. Is there some kind of mouse that I could hold in my right hand that would work like a normal mouse, with cursor movements and buttons to click?

Hmm its about time I invented the tongue mouse.
It will be great practise!

Wra18th

Thanks for both of your suggestions. They would both seem to fit my use case and they aren't even that much money.:)

That thing is crazy!

Razor used to make a left handed Naga MMO mouse with a bunch of macro buttons you can hit with your thumb. All I can find now are right hand versions. I have a Logitech G600 which is a right hand version, got a lot of use out of it when I jacked up my left wrist and was in a sling brace for months. Programmed the macro buttons to be WASD keys so I could still game a little. Of course if you can't find a left hand version, not very helpful for you, sorry.

edit - found some left hand Naga's on ebay but stupidly expensive, like $113 used, $177 new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313366555784

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That thing is crazy!

Razor used to make a left handed Naga MMO mouse with a bunch of macro buttons you can hit with your thumb. All I can find now are right hand versions. I have a Logitech G600 which is a right hand version, got a lot of use out of it when I jacked up my left wrist and was in a sling brace for months. Programmed the macro buttons to be WASD keys so I could still game a little. Of course if you can't find a left hand version, not very helpful for you, sorry.

edit - found some left hand Naga's on ebay but stupidly expensive, like $113 used, $177 new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313366555784

That Naga on eBay is too much for a mouse that I'm going to use for only 6-8 weeks.o_O I've been a right-handed mouse guy since the mid-1980s, when I worked for a workstation company whose products back then included a GUI and a mouse,.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I too would probably recommend a trackball. I have 2 that I use with my laptop when I'm on the go. I can't really imagine using my left hand on a mouse effectively. I had the m570 from Logitech but upgraded to this for its on the fly dpi buttons.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07J3YMN63/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Different strokes for different folks. This is a regular mouse, but with my arm in a sling, I think the "finger" mice are a much better bet.

I just used my right handed mouse with my left hand when I injured my ac joint, typing was a pita in any case, but not too bad since I learned touch typing and can more or less navigate a kb with just my left hand. I realize that doesn't really help you much, though. :/

I use my mouse with my right hand. I am supposed to have surgery on my right shoulder and the doc said that I need to wear a sling for 4-6 weeks, so I could work on my PC (desktop) with only my left hand. Is there some kind of mouse that I could hold in my right hand that would work like a normal mouse, with cursor movements and buttons to click?

It has been a number of months. Wondering what the OP eventually decided on. I, too, have an upcoming shoulder surgery, and am keenly interested in this subject.

I just used my right handed mouse with my left hand when I injured my ac joint, typing was a pita in any case, but not too bad since I learned touch typing and can more or less navigate a kb with just my left hand. I realize that doesn't really help you much, though. :/
Yah. That "finger mouse" I bought was a total waste of not too much money. I gave up on it after less than one hour. I have ended up controlling the mouse with my left hand, and mostly one finger typing. Fortunatety the sling comes off in a few weeks,.

I bought a Relacon model, https://elecomus.com/web/product/handheld-wireless-thumb-operated-trackball-mouse-m-rt1drbk/. But this is a real POS. The roller ball doesn't roll easily, so when you roll it it moves a lot. Practically impossible to actually select a specific place on a page or in a doc, So save yourself the 50 bucks. I really need to post a 1-star review on Amazon.

Problem is, there aren't many choices.
I have one of those and would say it's one of the best input devices I have ever used. If it's not rolling freely, you might need to pop the ball out and clean it; there are some plastic nubs underneath that collect fluff.

I have one of those and would say it's one of the best input devices I have ever used. If it's not rolling freely, you might need to pop the ball out and clean it; there are some plastic nubs underneath that collect fluff.
OK. I will have to try that. But this fluff, was the mouse delivered with the fluff already "installed?"

OK. I will have to try that. But this fluff, was the mouse delivered with the fluff already "installed?"
Possible, but generally fluff and scumm are picked up from your oily fingers and dust that settled from the air onto the ball.

Edit: it rolls around to the back and is picked up by the ceramic/plastic rollers/bearings.

Possible, but generally fluff and scumm are picked up from your oily fingers and dust that settled from the air onto the ball.

Edit: it rolls around to the back and is picked up by the ceramic/plastic rollers/bearings.
OK. But I had this problem with the mouse roller right after I unboxed it.

OK. But I had this problem with the mouse roller right after I unboxed it.
Well ya see the problem is I am unable to observe the inside of your mouse, so I can't say whether you have fluff in there or not. If there is, clean it out and try again. If not, return it defective or toss it.

Back