Most important CES announcement(IMO): Ryzen 4000 APUs.

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
While a Lot of people wanted big GPU news, I would argue this part is MUCH more important.

Not only was this the most important PC HW announcement of CES, I would bet this is the most important PC HW of 2020.

Anandtech blurb:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1532...-apus-7nm-8core-on-both-15w-and-45w-coming-q1

While AMD has been destroying Intel with the enthusiast desktop aftermarket, the reality is that the PC market is primarily a laptop market, and Intel remained dominant there. It looks like AMD has a mass of design wins coming, with 100+ systems in 2020:

AMD%20CES%202020%20Update_Client_Embargoed%20Until%20Jan.%206%20at%206pm%20ET-page-026.jpg

This is first laptop chip, that without hesitation, I would choose over what Intel has to offer.

I'd also love to build a system with it, but I expect it will be a VERY long time before AMD sells these in the aftermarket, and they will be VERY expensive (Intel levels of expensive).

Intel is in for an even rougher year in 2020, with AMD set to make massive inroads against their laptop stronghold.

People wondered why this chip took so long. It's because it's a new chip and it's monolithic. It's not just a scaled down desktop chip.

I'm not going to argue with you - the 3990x is pretty cool but this is where the volume is and within reach of almost everyone looking to get a laptop. I might have to sell my Dell 2700u and my helios 500 (desktop 2700/mobile vega56) to get a single 4800H/1660ti system or similar. Looks like we can get true mid-high end desktop performance in a nice form factor laptop. That 3.5lb 4800H asus laptop with an rtx 2060 looked really good.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
This looks pretty nuts. A true 14" faster than my 17" gaming laptop from 2018.

Never been much of a Laptop guy, but I can see the importance for AMD to launch a chip that is competitive to Intel in this sector. Biggest problem for AMD is the reluctance of OEM's to actually design ones that people want.

Have to agree with Gideon - really is up to the available designs.

there are some real halo laptops using intel’s high end chips even just with iGPU - new XPS 13 and the 2-in-1 using actual 10nm with Iris Plus, obviously the MacBook systems, etc.

the big question for me is whether we’re going to see the same kind of “ultra book” designs for these chips. 13”, under 3 pounds, hand rolled tungsten (or whatever Apple says is the cool metal these days), high speed ddr4 onboard (or at least two dimm slots), touch screens - all the things you’d expect in a high end laptop, but with a 15W Ryzen inside instead of a Core i7.

the big question for me is whether we’re going to see the same kind of “ultra book” designs for these chips. 13”, under 3 pounds, hand rolled tungsten (or whatever Apple says is the cool metal these days), high speed ddr4 onboard (or at least two dimm slots), touch screens - all the things you’d expect in a high end laptop, but with a 15W Ryzen inside instead of a Core i7.

Just FYI, wolfram (tungsten) is a very, very heavy element. 3 pounds is what, ~1.3kg? Not very likely

Will these have some sort of hardware encoder like Intel quick sync? If these will render faster than a 9750h, sign me up.

Just FYI, wolfram (tungsten) is a very, very heavy element. 3 pounds is what, ~1.3kg? Not very likely

it was a joke... I probably could have said polonium or something to make it more obvious.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
So the most exciting thing is winning in the segment that isn't even worth benchmarking.

Win in dog food workflows is a what?

Man if I get the raise I'm asking for this year... I might need to get one of these laptops with the AMD 4000 series APU. The power footprint would shrink AND the performance footprint would grow. What's not to like?!

Any word on what battery life will look like? I am in the market to replace my 2014 Lenovo Carbon X1, and I'm eying a C940 with the new ice lake I7. But I'd take some better gaming performance if it means I don't have to sacrifice battery life.

Uncle Humjaba, nobody knows for sure yet bu speculation is battery life is quite good especially if you can flip from 45w to 15w or whatever it was on a laptop when you need longer life rather than better performance.

Uncle Humjaba, nobody knows for sure yet bu speculation is battery life is quite good especially if you can flip from 45w to 15w or whatever it was on a laptop when you need longer life rather than better performance.

Right, AMD alredy partially closed the effiency gap with the Rafen Ridge refereh part (Picasso), despite using full-power DDR4 (competing designs from Intel used DDR3L or LPDDR4X on Ice Lake). The support for LPDDR4X is going to help clos that gap even further.

Last edited:
The Raven Ridge line was great imo, specially in pricing, but this one looks amazing, seems they're moving slowly but safe to to high end performance ground.

Back