Most efficient way to run unsupported AutoCAD?

fatryan

[H]ard|Gawd
My dad is a civil engineer who runs his own 1-man firm. One of his main clients is also a small operation, and this client uses a version of AutoCAD that is no longer supported at all by autodesk. My dad cannot open the clients files in the latest version of AutoCAD, and autodesk doesn't even sell licenses for this old version anymore.

The only option my dad has had to handle this clients projects is to run the 30 day trial versions using the installer from the old AutoCAD. He has to install this on his super old dell xps tower that runs either windows 7 or maybe vista. Since he only gets 30 days in the AutoCAD trial, he has to rebuild windows on that machine every 30 days (he bills this time to the client!).

This is obviously exceptionally inefficient and frankly obnoxious. So I'm wondering how my dad might expedite this. I am new to virtual machines, but i have suggested this as an alternative (he knows nothing about virtualization). Does using a VM seem reasonable? Scrap the old Dell and just setup a Win7 VM in either hyper-V or VMWare workstation? Would this be any faster for rebuilding Windows? Is there a better alternative? He's also having communication issues between the two machines, which he attributes to recent windows 10 updates. I figure a VM will solve any communication problems...

DWG TrueView also doesn't work?

I haven't heard of AutoCAD not supporting previous file versions, though. Is this something new? What versions are we talking about?

Last edited:
DWG TrueView also doesn't work?

I haven't heard of AutoCAD not supporting previous file versions, though. Is this something new? What versions are we talking about?
Just asked my dad. He said true view is basically just a reader. He needs to work in the actual files, so true view doesn't work for him.

Just asked my dad. He said true view is basically just a reader. He needs to work in the actual files, so true view doesn't work for him.
TrueView can convert between various AutoCAD file versions. If it can read his client's files, it can save them in a newer version format.

TrueView can convert between various AutoCAD file versions. If it can read his client's files, it can save them in a newer version format.
I think the issue is that they're exchanging files back and forth, so it needs to remain in the old format. Also in my experience with Microstation, converting between versions introduces errors or inconsistencies in the drawings.

In discussing this issue more with my dad, it seems that AutoCAD places some kind of signature file or perhaps reads existing data on the installation drive that uniquely identifies the drive. So the issue seems to be tied to the drive, not necessarily the windows installation. The only way to keep getting new 30 day trials is to use special software to fully wipe the drive then start fresh. Simply formatting the drive won't work. I've suggested he try installing AutoCAD on its own dedicated drive so at least he won't need to rebuild windows every time, so he's going to try that. I have a feeling that won't work, but we'll see.

My dad also said he has the windows rebuilds down to about an hour now, but the problem is that windows update takes a minimum of 12 hours to download and install all updates. There's no updated image file available on Microsoft's website, because Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft. He just uses some disk he got in 2016.

My dad is additionally trying to plead his case directly with Autodesk, claiming it's ridiculous that he pays $2800/year for the current license but can't even work in 2009 files. So far that has proved fruitless. Autodesk claims the servers that support the older versions are no longer in existence.

You're providing too little information and not explaining why suggested possible solutions don't work, so I'm not sure what to suggest further. In any case, if Autodesk can't be bothered to provide support, I don't see a reason why your father shouldn't simply get what he needs at high seas.

You're providing too little information and not explaining why suggested possible solutions don't work, so I'm not sure what to suggest further. In any case, if Autodesk can't be bothered to provide support, I don't see a reason why your father shouldn't simply get what he needs at high seas.
Umm, I did respond to your original suggestion. It's clear you don't understand the industry or work with the software if you think converting files back and forth over and over again is a practical solution. Maybe keep your rudeness to yourself next time. My dad's been doing this for over 30 years, I'm sure he has exhausted every possible autodesk solution available at this point since he knows that software like the back of his hand.

Have you tried the VM route?
Not yet. My dad seems interested in it, but he just hasn't gotten into trying it yet. But after discussing the issue more, I'm not so sure a VM is really going to help the situation. Maybe I'm wrong, as I'm very new to VMs myself, but it still sounds like he might need to reinstall windows regardless.

I would figure one vm image you would duplicate and install what ever on. When 30 days are up delete the vm, and repeat.

You don't have to update the windows vm. Login and turn that off.

You don't have to update the windows vm. Login and turn that off.
Ok. I'll see if I can get that going today. He's only going to have windows hyper-v to work in, but maybe if he likes it i can convince him to get vmware workstation. I switched to that and love it.

I only use Oracle's Virtual Box and haven't had a problem, but you do what works best for you all.

I only use Oracle's Virtual Box and haven't had a problem, but you do what works best for you all.
Yeah I tried VB myself a while back and it didn't seem to run real well. Maybe that's worth another shot.

What about the super simple solution of changing the date on the computer that has the trial version installed?

What about getting a license for the old version? Sure Autodesk doesn't support that version anymore but you can probably find a new copy including license on eBay. May also be worth asking the client if they have an extra license available for the version they are using.

As far as resetting the trial without having to wipe the machine... there should be a way to do it. there is going to either be a registry entry or a most likely hidden signature file that stores the install date/time. Process explorer or even a program installer repackager that captures everything that is done during the install should shed light on how it is keeping track oif the install date/time.

What about the super simple solution of changing the date on the computer that has the trial version installed?
From my experience Flexnet tend to just stop to work when you try to change the date or if the computer has an issue that change the date, we use the same licensing manager than Autodesk but maybe the older version have some issue with it.

I would either look if there is some cracked version of Autodesk 2009 that work or if some intermediary still working version can do the bridge, like does Autocad 2014 is better at reading 2009 files and 2019 able to save something that 2014 can read and does 2014 can save something that 2009 can read ?

What about getting a license for the old version? Sure Autodesk doesn't support that version anymore but you can probably find a new copy including license on eBay. May also be worth asking the client if they have an extra license available for the version they are using.

As far as resetting the trial without having to wipe the machine... there should be a way to do it. there is going to either be a registry entry or a most likely hidden signature file that stores the install date/time. Process explorer or even a program installer repackager that captures everything that is done during the install should shed light on how it is keeping track oif the install date/time.
I highly doubt changing the date will do anything. If reformatting the drive and rebuilding windows won't work, I don't see how a simple date change will do anything. Not to mention, it might mark all his drawings with an incorrect date.

The issue is that 2009 AutoCAD cannot be activated at all anymore. My dad has an actual 2009 license from back in 2009, he just can't use it. Autodesk won't activate it anymore. My dad mentioned too that his issues are primarily with civil3D. Sorry i use Bentley products exclusively, so I'm not very familiar with autodesks suite myself.

I'll tell my dad to check the registry but i kind of doubt he's going to know how to find this information. I wouldn't even know myself.

From my experience Flexnet tend to just stop to work when you try to change the date or if the computer has an issue that change the date, we use the same licensing manager than Autodesk but maybe the older version have some issue with it.

I would either look if there is some cracked version of Autodesk 2009 that work or if some intermediary still working version can do the bridge, like does Autocad 2014 is better at reading 2009 files and 2019 able to save something that 2014 can read and does 2014 can save something that 2009 can read ?
My dad would never use cracked software, so that's a no go lol. My dad said none of the newer versions can open 2009 files. He probably has a license for every single release they've had. But i specifically asked him about this, and he said none will open the 2009 files. Again, i think this might be specific to civil3D, not base AutoCAD.

My dad would never use cracked software, so that's a no go lol.
The nuance between that and abusing the nature of trial version is quite slim (if any, trial version tend to come with some not for doing any pro/paid work with it language anyway).

The other proposition that is maybe even more extreme (if it is a well known clients with a good relationship....), depending of the nature of the work that need to be done, could it be done by remotely connecting on the client's computers at distance and on is computer 2009 version remotely doing the work on it, or does opening it in the newer autocad (or one that has Civil 3d) is needed in the workflow ? Sometime there can be a lot of work, energy and money going into doing something correctly and cleanly, went the dirty, bit shameful really simple version could have worked.

The nuance between that and abusing the nature of trial version is quite slim (if any, trial version tend to come with some not for doing any pro/paid work with it language anyway).

The other proposition that is maybe even more extreme (if it is a well known clients with a good relationship....), depending of the nature of the work that need to be done, could it be done by remotely connecting on the client's computers at distance and on is computer 2009 version remotely doing the work on it, or does opening it in the newer autocad (or one that has Civil 3d) is needed in the workflow ? Sometime there can be a lot of work, energy and money going into doing something correctly and cleanly, went the dirty, bit shameful really simple version could have worked.
I think calling reusing a trial abuse is a stretch. It's at least a far cry from using cracked software.

I'm getting more and more info about this as I talk to my dad. His client has 7 licenses for the 2009 version, my dad has one of the licenses. The 2009 licenses work as long as it's already activated. My dad rebuilt his computer and that's when this whole thing started. So his client cannot rebuild any of their computers ever or they'll loose their license. Apparently the client just bought these licenses a few years ago, so they're not even that old.

Remoteing into a client's computer opens so many liability issues, so I'm sure that's not on the table.

My dad doesn't need to work in windows 10 while doing this old cadd work, but he does have other clients in which he needs the latest AutoCAD for. So he needs to have both windows 7 (for old AutoCAD) and Windows 10 for everything else.

I got a basic VB VM setup for him. The display is a bit screwed up for some reason, but I don't know VB at all. Probably going to take some tweaking of settings. But my dad seems to really like the concept of virtual machines, so he may stick with this and can the old computers.

Back