More laptop options. Any clue when laptops will drop in price?

Wanting to get a Acer Helios 300 with 10th gen i7, 2060 or 3060 RTX, 144hz 1080p screen, 16GB RAM and 512GB nvme at $1,200 on Amazon for free shipping and tax free., but god did they jump up in price. Shame I missed it when it went on sale at $1,000 last year, could've grabbed a 32GB RAM kit with it.

I hoping once the 3060 model are out the 2060s will drop.

Reason I'm getting the Helios is because of the 2 m.2 slots and the 2.5" SATA bay, great panel for content creation, port placement and numpad.

Max I want to spend is $1,200, and planning on getting a 2TB nvme to throw in the 2nd slot.

Best advice I can give you is check used prices. Lots of people are offloading their current Turing laptops for Ampere models which is somewhat stabilizing used market prices -- you can still find some deals. I got a Razer 15, top spec'ed ($2200) from last year, pristine condition for $1200, because someone just had to have a laptop with a 3070/80. For new, it's either wait or pay through the nose.

Also, I'd not get hung up on having to get a10th gen i7 -- it's essentially the same chip as the older CPUs it replaced (9750h, 8750h). You'll see 5-10% improvement. If you want a better processor, you need to go Zen 3. Unfortunately, Zen 3 laptops don't (yet) come with top-end GPUs.

I see a AcerRecertified 17" Helios model # PH317-54-70YD for $1,200, might not fit in my back pack. Also need to check if the screen is good for content creation.
Any opinion on refurbs?
Comes with a 1TB HDD, no clue if it's a m.2 or 2.5", currently waiting for a reply from Newegg seller.

My other option is a MSI GL65 10SEK-022 for $1,200 down to 1,100 via rebate card
Only has 1 m.2 slot, but they have pads for a 2nd if you only need a connector, no clue if the other support components are left off or limited in the BIOS. And yes I can solder, just need to get the right connector if so. :) and screw warranties.
Comes with a 512GB m.2 and a 1TB spinner. Free game and wired mouse.

Cute, mail in rebate for that MSI laptop. I have a General Delivery address since I'm on the road. Hopefully it I can use that address.

I would not count on laptop getting cheaper this year. All my sources in the industry is telling me that their cost are going up. Material, labor and transportation cost are all going or have already gone up. About the only discount you'll see is the 1st price drop after product introduction and when it reaches end of product cycle as those are built into the initial MSRP.

Last edited:
Lots of decent deals just need to look around and tied to the Acer. The 3060 is gonna be the hard part. a 1660ti or 2060 has a better chance in that price range.

Back