Monitor frequency

rinaldo00

2[H]4U
Something must be wrong with me, or wrong with my eyes at least. I just purchased a new LG C2 48 and I set it up according to settings I found online. Now I am running it at 60 Hz until I can upgrade my GPU to a 4090 and it is beautiful! Three days ago I blew a fuse and my screen lost power. Today I decided to recheck my settings and I discovered that I am running at 30 Hz! I never noticed! I see tons of people claiming 120 Hz is too slow and I was satisfied with 30 Hz!

Something must be wrong with me ;)

Something must be wrong with me, or wrong with my eyes at least. I just purchased a new LG C2 48 and I set it up according to settings I found online. Now I am running it at 60 Hz until I can upgrade my GPU to a 4090 and it is beautiful! Three days ago I blew a fuse and my screen lost power. Today I decided to recheck my settings and I discovered that I am running at 30 Hz! I never noticed! I see tons of people claiming 120 Hz is too slow and I was satisfied with 30 Hz!

Something must be wrong with me ;)
It's diminishing returns above 120hz. I went from 144->240 and it isn't nearly as noticeable as 60->120.

I feel that it is quite subjective, like for CRT some people did not mind 60hz, me once you got to 85hz it was ok, some it was higher.

For me it was quite the letdown, hearing stuff like High FPS monitor is a change to your work experience like SSD was, my 170hz monitor goes down to 60hz sometime (different account driver update or what not) and I have to go to the setting to see it), in fast moving game and some scenario I can see it, but on regular day to day desktop moving the mouse not really.

120+ Hz mainly improves responsiveness. Because my 2019 Intel Macbook Pro 16" is a pile of garbage, for work I need to run all of my monitors at 60 Hz because the damn thing refuses to go any higher. I'll deal with this until Apple releases M2 models that I could upgrade to.

If most of the time you are just doing things on the desktop you tend to get used to whatever refresh rate you have. Then when it changes drastically the change can feel dramatic until you get used to it again. If it was up to me, no displays would run at anything less than 120 Hz today. Past that it's increasingly diminishing returns but still valid for gaming purposes as higher refresh rates and framerates reduce motion blur, making for a clearer image in motion.

OLEDs tend to do better for lower framerate simply because their pixel response time is ~1ms for real. On the flipside they tend to be worse for e.g 30 fps because frames blend together less so it looks choppy.

There are other things which might make 60hz (and other lower frequencies) more or less tolerable. Display technology, image processing/filters applied by the display itself, backlight brightness and dimming type, room lighting, your own eyes and brain, probably some other things as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, viewing distance too.

Last edited:
Back