mining on a server running a NAS and other stuff?

olav

n00b
Hey!
so i have a server running a NAS and a minecraft server plus some other stuff. Now im simply wondering if i can purchase a GPU for this server and mine strictly on this GPU without affecting the other components of the server. I still want to run my NAS and minecraft server, but i want to run this only on the CPU, and the miner only on the GPU. is this possible? my server is runnning windows server, and has a 650W powersupply. it dows not have a GPU yet, but im in the process of buying a RTX 3090. Will a miner even run on a windows server? (windows server 2012).

PS: i have no experience with mining, but have quite some experience with computers and have a general understanding of crypto.

yup its easily possible. including the os. I used to mine on 2012 r2. nvidia drivers can be abit of a pain you will have to force the driver installation through device manager.

Hey!
.... and has a 650W powersupply.....

PS: i have no experience with mining, but have quite some experience with computers and have a general understanding of crypto.

if you will be under clocking the 3090 that is probably fine. a better PSU would be a good investment with a 3090 connected though.

if you will be under clocking the 3090 that is probably fine. a better PSU would be a good investment with a 3090 connected though.
I would be curious to know exactly whatpsu. My 560w supermicro server supplies can run 560-600w continually and I tend to use them pretty heavily. He may be sitting at less then 200w for the rest of the system leaving 450w for the gpu.

I would be curious to know exactly whatpsu. My 560w supermicro server supplies can run 560-600w continually and I tend to use them pretty heavily. He may be sitting at less then 200w for the rest of the system leaving 450w for the gpu.

i have no 3090s in my builds, but from what i have seen they can consume 300w while mining. even with 200w for the rest of the NAS, if it is a budget orientated 650w PSU, and you run that NAS and a 3090 on it, you would be nearing the PSU limit. even just a google of 3090 and 650w has a large number of concerning results. there are even some 850w PSUs that do not like having a 3090 hooked to them.

it was just a note that someone who is new to mining, might want to read a bit about. in case they have stability issues.

i have no 3090s in my builds, but from what i have seen they can consume 300w while mining. even with 200w for the rest of the NAS, if it is a budget orientated 650w PSU, and you run that NAS and a 3090 on it, you would be nearing the PSU limit. even just a google of 3090 and 650w has a large number of concerning results. there are even some 850w PSUs that do not like having a 3090 hooked to them.

it was just a note that someone who is new to mining, might want to read a bit about. in case they have stability issues.
I would absolutely agree it would be pushing past my comfort level on any consumer psu.

Isnt the 3090 vs say a 3080 not worth it when it comes to ROI? or at least it wasnt when it was first released?

It can be a consumer PSU, just not a 600watt PSU.

The PSU may be a problem. If you're running a Windows OS, I THINK the only way to overclock the card is using MSI afterburner. The problem is, when the OS boots up it runs the card at stock settings, which burn enough power to shut down the PSU before you can get Afterburner powered up and the reduced settings applied. If it would boot up at the lowered power consumption settings you might be OK, but I don't think you can do that in Windows. Given that you're running a NAS I'm guessing you've already got a reasonable power draw from mechanical hard drives. I suspect you'll need to upgrade the PSU for the system to work. Also, depending on the 3090 you get, you may need 3 - 6/8 pin PCIe connectors; and I'd be very surprised if a 600 - ish watt PSU had that. Something to keep in mind when you're PSU shopping.
It's more then possible to automatically load and undervolt a GPU before a mining program pushes the gpu out of idle mode.

Still hard to give any actually advice without knowing what psu it is

First, mods I am not sure if this is the correct subforum, If not pls move it to the correct one. Next, I am looking for the perfect configuration for a server that can be scaled up to datacenter level to mine cryptocurrency with gpus from nivida, any idea about what specs the servers should be? Assuming I can keep the ambient temperature at 27 degrees c and excluding the ongoing cost of power and other things, what would it cost me per server cabinet to build it full of say 8 gpu ?, which graphics cards should I get , so like what gpus, cpu etc, should I use ASICS? what currency should I mine to break even the fastest? Pls debate and help here
Start a new thread for that many different questions

Isnt the 3090 vs say a 3080 not worth it when it comes to ROI? or at least it wasnt when it was first released?

You're most likely not getting an ROI on any of them.

I'm working on the same thing, figured since I have a bunch of servers running GPUs that I could put storage on them while I'm at it. This guide came in handy: https://dazeb.uk/access-your-hard-drives-while-mining-on-hiveos-using-samba/

If you have older servers as hosts you might even have SAS controllers and that'll let you buy cheaper drives than SATA in some cases.

3090 ROI is currently over 1 year (450 days or so). They're also not very power efficient and you'll spend more time and money replacing thermal pads. You could either make the jump to a cmp 170hx if you don't care about anything else, or get multiple rtx a2000s and either setup would be much more efficient and the a2000 will have a lower ROI. With mid-range GPUs dropping in price so much there are a lot of better options that give a faster ROI and more hashrate for less power for less total cost (ie. 2 x 6800s give you basically the same hashrate or more and cost less while being more efficient)

Whenever I face issues with the hardware, I get in touch with an engineer. I think it's best to get the issue sorted by a professional rather than merely performing some DIYs.

Back