Mini ITX Build, GPUs that need PSU power don't work

atarumoroboshi18

Limp Gawd
Alright, I've spoken at length about this build I made with the Silverstone case and a 1080 G1 Gaming GPU in a prior thread. I've gone through absolutely every single step imaginable and for some reason the the system will turn on the first time with a GPU when I start it up(I have Linux Mint and it will have a small '640x480' screen asking which OS to activate upon turning it on), but every subsequent power on, the GPU will show it's powered(Fans, lights, etc.) but refuse to show anything on screen. I'm convinced it may be something with my PSU possibly not being strong enough to power the PSU as I had an older GPU that would work just fine on the system, but a GPU that takes PSU power would not work at all. Is there some way I can confirm this is the case or do I need to get a new PSU? The PSU is a Seasonic SFX-L SGX-650 and should have more than enough for a 1080 G1 Gaming. I'm at my wits end with this build!

The bootloader often is just run by a simple framebuffer driver, so the GPU may be in it's lowest power state still at that point (not entirely sure how 10xx series GPUs behave before being initialized by the OS driver).

Also, if you have an igpu, check the bios to see which GPU it tries first and make sure it's set to dGPU, and ensure the monitor cable is plugged into the 1080. Sometimes the bios gets confused when you have two, especially if nothing is connected or you move the connection after powering on the PC.

Are you using two separate PCIe power cables?

Why would that be an issue? the video card won't use more than 225w.

It's a single 8-pin adapter (you can't seriously overclock above 225w on a single fan).

I would try Windows 10 first, before you start tearing apart your system (could be a driver issue under Linux, if it's detecting the card the first time); No, you don't have to activate it to try it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: travm
like this
Why would that be an issue? the video card wion't use mre than 225w.

Truth be told, I've got no idea why it'd *really* be an issue.
Apparently that card only has one PCIe power connector anyways, so that's not going to do it.

Any harddrives attached to the system? If you really think it's a weak PSU, then a spinning disk might draw too much power.
If not that, then perhaps you just need to reseat the card, the main motherboard power connector, or something else entirely.

This sort of intermittent issue is just troublesome to diagnose.

2 SSDs, one M.2, one standard. I've now used a third GPU, a 1080 Ti, that literally came from my VR rig that worked like a champ and it gives the exact same identical issue.

Perhaps it's displaying to the wrong display adapter.
If there's an integrated GPU on your CPU, then make sure it's as disabled as possible.

Here you go:
  1. B450I GAMING Plus AC

2. Ryzen 1600x

3. 1080 Gigabyte G1 Gaming GPU

4. 2x4GB DDR4 RAM
  5. 250GB M.2 SSD
  6. Seasonic 650-GX SFX-L

whats monitor is it hooked up to and what cable type? tried another port? have you tried another pcie cable and port on the psu, same for the mobo 8pin? have you tore it down to bench test it?

Try win 10 before you unscrew anything.
I use Linux on several machines, and never have seen what you're describing, but I wouldn't discount buggy software. You could also try a vanilla Ubuntu. I have noticed some issues with mint, specifically the network manager doesn't work very well in my house. Other distros don't have that problem, they have other problems.

Back