Mini-fridge casemod..........

PuNtInG MiDgEtS

Weaksauce
Can anyone foresee any dangers of running an entire pc inside a mini-fridge. Seems as if it would make for a sweet overclocking setup, and would be relatively inexpensive. I have the fridge, I was just curious if any of the components would be harmed by constantly being refridgerated? Any [H]ard feedback would be appreciated.

The_Tecknishen said:
I think condensation could be a problem...
More like the system would overheat inside a fridge. A refrigerator is 2 parts; cooler AND insulator. A refigerator could never keep up with a modern computer system and it'll burn out in no time.

On the other hand, using a fridge chassis as a case may not be a bad idea. You would have to dremel a few holes for fans since its an insulated environment.

try it it might work.. :D

and were not responsible for your computer braking or fridge..

That is actually a sweet idea. You just have to put enough fans and some really good water cooling to work. I have a mini pepsi fridge that hasn't worked for a few months because it was left out in the rain during a BBQ. Man that would make the perfect case.

no it's not a great idea. as has been said a million times, fridges are great at removing heat from food, but as soon as you introduce a constant heat source you'll just burn them out.

The only useful thing for a mini fridge is stripping out the guts to make a custom phase-change cooler or maybe a cold bath waterchiller.

The best thing to do with the fridge would be to put your water resivoir in the fridge to chill the water. Don't bother with anything else. As stated before, the fridge will not be able to keep the system cool and will burn out.

Thanks for all your feedback, so it looks as if i will just place a Koolance watercooling system in the fridge and run all the hosing outside to the case.

Condensation should not be a problem though; condensation forms on things cooler than the air around it.

a fridge mod would be too time consuming and risky in my opinion. they have phase cooling for a reason

ness1469 said:
Wow, this is the first time someone has thought this up! :eek: :p
no its not... ive thought of this and planned the whole process before trashing it realizing it wont work... so have others... i think most newbies to modding, maybe about 80% have thought of using a fridge... reallie common idea that wouldnt work

basically, the money you spend for electricity on using a fridge to cool it is not worth it... might as well use a peltier for better results and probably the same or less electricity... also, the fridge is to keep food cold not to cool down heated objects to a certain level... its gonna put a lotta stress on that fridge...

and condensation will be a BIG problem

DudeItsMe said:
Condensation should not be a problem though; condensation forms on things cooler than the air around it.
what happens when components like fans start to condensate and when the water droplets build up on the fan and its spinning and sprays water onto that new expensive motherboard?... nah, i wouldnt like it either

theres a LOT of places for condensation to build up and drip onto pricey components :p

DudeItsMe said:

The metals (and even plastics) on the motherboard will cool to lower degree than the air. So, condensation will happen. The change in temparature as the components are turned on/off will make things even worse.

I have thought of the idea.

well if you were serious about it, you could buy a really nice battery thing so you never have to turn ur fridge off, with condensation it can be bad

wayne said:
no its not... ive thought of this and planned the whole process before trashing it realizing it wont work... so have others... i think most newbies to modding, maybe about 80% have thought of using a fridge... reallie common idea that wouldnt work

basically, the money you spend for electricity on using a fridge to cool it is not worth it... might as well use a peltier for better results and probably the same or less electricity... also, the fridge is to keep food cold not to cool down heated objects to a certain level... its gonna put a lotta stress on that fridge...

and condensation will be a BIG problem

Your sarcasm meter is broken. ;)

Back