Mind bending problem - Random restarts

zazzn

Limp Gawd
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

Problem: PC spontaneously restarts after running perfectly for 1.5 years. It only happens randomly restarting during gaming sessions (pubg). There has been no BSOD's, just like someone hit the restart button and the machine lost power.

6950x cpu
Gigabyte m5 gaming x99
64 GB DDR4 corsair vengence
2TB HP PCI-E ssd
2080TI MSI trio

-Replaced with TT850 PSU with brand new 750 Seasonic.
-Removed half the 64 gb of ram
-Swapped slots with the remaining 32 with the 32 that was pulled out
-Swapped slots 1-2 to 3-4 for ram
-No overclock on CPU/Video card
-Unplug PC from UPS and plug to the wall
-Reseat video card
-Clean all dust out of case
-Run prime 95 and memtest to stress test CPU and Memory no problems
-Run MSI combustor and no problems
-Clear event logs and see what is logged in the system and app (only that the machine recovered from an unexpected restart)

I'm lost what could be causing the problems here, and it's driving me nuts. The only thing left to replace is the video card and the motherboard and can't figure out why I can't replicate the issue with synthetic tests.

You’ve covered the bases pretty well. I’d wager it could possibly be the very unlikely scenario that you received a fault season if unit also. You seem to have tried everything I’d have done.

Spontaneous restarts without a BSOD could be the CPU crashing due to voltage changes between high & low load. It's possible the motherboard has default settings that don't follow Intel specifications and degraded the CPU, or has AVX ratios too high. You can test this in Prime95 with Small FFTs and combinations of AVX-512 / AVX2 / Non-AVX. Run the test for a minute and stop it. See if it crashes on stop.

Spontaneous restarts without a BSOD could be the CPU crashing due to voltage changes between high & low load. It's possible the motherboard has default settings that don't follow Intel specifications and degraded the CPU, or has AVX ratios too high. You can test this in Prime95 with Small FFTs and combinations of AVX-512 / AVX2 / Non-AVX. Run the test for a minute and stop it. See if it crashes on stop.
Agreed, this sounds like a power delivery issue. You may want to return the BIOS to defaults to test as a base line. Are you running the latest BIOS? What is the exact model number of the board, including the revision number? GA-X99M-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.1)

It may be a mb overheating issue. You can try either pointing a case fan at the vrm areas or take the case panel off and point a desk fan into the case and start a normal gaming session. The latter isnt as effective in pinpointing what the cause may be but if it stops the shut downs at least you know something is overheating.

That's interesting, could be since this is such a rare CPU that most Motherboard manufactures wouldn't test it. I tried Prime 95 with for about 4 hours tonight on in-plane large FFTS maximum heat power and some ram tested option, and I ran kombustor GPU test from MSI at the same time. Came back with no problem. When you say AVX what are you referring to the turbo freq? I set everything to default settings in bios as one of the tests earlier, pretty much everything is on auto. I did try setting the voltage manually to hold that power setting so it didn't fluctuate which I think was 1.35V. Where do I set the avx512 or avx2.

What do windows event logs show during the time of the reboot?
Nothing of value, I cleared them before I would try gaming to see if there were any errors, it just shows the machine restarted unexpectedly when the machine actually boots up again.
Agreed, this sounds like a power delivery issue. You may want to return the BIOS to defaults to test as a base line. Are you running the latest BIOS? What is the exact model number of the board, including the revision number? GA-X99M-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.1)
I did this, latest bios... It's rev 1.0 of the board.
up your ram voltage to 1.4v.
Tried, to set but cannot manually set for some reason, went to default 2133 config which is 1.2V and still happens.

Update* added a huge fan from my bedroom to blow on the computer in the case, and restarts still take place.

Last edited:
That's interesting, could be since this is such a rare CPU that most Motherboard manufactures wouldn't test it. I tried Prime 95 with for about 4 hours tonight on in-plane large FFTS maximum heat power and some ram tested option, and I ran kombustor GPU test from MSI at the same time. Came back with no problem. When you say AVX what are you referring to the turbo freq? I set everything to default settings in bios as one of the tests earlier, pretty much everything is on auto. I did try setting the voltage manually to hold that power setting so it didn't fluctuate which I think was 1.35V. Where do I set the avx512 or avx2.
You need to repeatedly start and stop the test, not run the test continuously. Use different combinations of the AVX settings in Prime95.

I know its a long shot but do you happen to have a friend with an x99 mb you can test your cpu in or a cpu you can test in your rig?
Same with your gpu. If possible try testing a friends in your rig or yours in their rig.
If not i would reseat your cpu and make sure your heatsink and paste still look kosher. If you cant find a test rig or test gpu, repasting your gpu couldnt hurt either.
In my experience hard resets are usually mb issues but theres always the off chance that it may be a cpu.
As a last resort you may have to lug your rig to the corner pc shop and have them test your gear for you. Otherwise you may be stuck.

I know its a long shot but do you happen to have a friend with an x99 mb you can test your cpu in or a cpu you can test in your rig?
Same with your gpu. If possible try testing a friends in your rig or yours in their rig.
If not i would reseat your cpu and make sure your heatsink and paste still look kosher. If you cant find a test rig or test gpu, repasting your gpu couldnt hurt either.
In my experience hard resets are usually mb issues but theres always the off chance that it may be a cpu.
As a last resort you may have to lug your rig to the corner pc shop and have them test your gear for you. Otherwise you may be stuck.
I agree, unfortunately, this is such a shitty problem. All I have is my server, it does have one PCI-E slot, but it's not ideal.

The good news is I have a 5900x ryzen and motherboard, this will rule out the GPU was planning to upgrade the server.

I ended up running a prime 95 and msi kombustor for 6 hours last night at the same time and the machine never flinched. When into a pubg game and 15 min bang restart.

Back