Migrate phones to the cloud with Microsoft Teams and Business Voice

mephistopoa

Weaksauce
Hi everyone, I just released a new video tutorial how to deploy Business Voice for Microsoft Teams, updating the video I made last year. It explains all steps involved to deploy telephony on top of Microsoft Teams, call routing, international phone numbers and so on. I hope it is useful for you all :)

Attachments

• 1606767918139.png
    1606767918139.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Nobu
like this
Deep dive into voip scaling would be nice.
There are other quality issues and Sec topics to address.

B2B isp I contracted for is still in Communigate hell.
They're classically behind in terms of their datacenter capacity and ideation.

A significant amount of companies in the Bay Area are outsourcing their voip, and the providers are pretty bad.

Deep dive into voip scaling would be nice.
There are other quality issues and Sec topics to address.

B2B isp I contracted for is still in Communigate hell.
They're classically behind in terms of their datacenter capacity and ideation.

A significant amount of companies in the Bay Area are outsourcing their voip, and the providers are pretty bad.
Thanks for the feedback!

I wanted to keep the video under 20 minutes as I know how tutorials can be boring, I may do additional videos going deeper into each section of telephony like you mentioned, scalability and security.

Security is all down to how well the Office 365 tenant is managed, and that is the beauty of it, if you have already a strong security policy, telephony is just another service on top which follow the same policies.

I guess these guys are just trying to maximise their investment on their private DC and not increase capacity, my previous company I used to work for had same principle, I put a farm of VMware servers that were milked out for 8 years until things were absolutely running like crap before they decided to invest again. 8 years having to support the same hardware and performance issues, all for the sake of milking out the hardwrae too much. That was one of the reasons I left to do my own thing eventually :)

are you talking about them outsourcing SIP or the whole phone system?

Situation this company had was that my buddy was running their systems on a VMware 3.5 cluster that was rotting for 8 years.

Drives all yellow or red, compute from that Core2 era Xeon that had no particular suitable use case besides commodity VMs left.

If you are topped out in iops/cores/ram then I'm in best guess land when I had to do a VMware 5.5 refresh.

I'd break down a to-do list for further videos, specifically pros and cons of outsourcing vs actual cost of onsite expertise.

All of the Sec issues I saw were basically 1000s of customers that might have had an onsite tech something who was no further evolved than installing wifi APs in the office and doing mundane desktop drudge.

Covid should have changed all of that with just VPN qos tuning, but it didn't.

God, even worse than the previous place I worked for!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I'll keep this in mind for my next videos.

VPN wise, I've been moving everything out of any VPN setup to a more cloud native approach and zero trust network, leaning heavily on mobile device management, conditional access, etc...

Well I’d be careful with ztn costs in public cloud.
When I’ve had to explain branches in past POCs you get this feeling that your are encompassing 20 years and 3 major paradigms worth of technical debt.

i think our guys were in a presentation for this on fri. "it works so great! you can do this and this and this and that and all you have to to is buy our phones..."

i think our guys were in a presentation for this on fri. "it works so great! you can do this and this and this and that and all you have to to is buy our phones..."
Oh bro, I've seen those go off while I was silently wrenching on garbage to keep the demo environment running....much less the actual saleable resources.

Voip is 1 of those domains, like virtualized desktops, where I'll work on the infrastructure but let the in-house "subject matter experts" finish that last 100'.

Back