Micrososoft Edge Chromium

AltTabbins

Fully [H]
Anyone else using the early versions of this? I have been playing around with it this morning and I am very impressed. Its really fast and I get pretty much all of the conveniences of Chrome. I've slowly been removing Google from my life and I know that Microsoft doesn't exactly have a good history with telemetry, they aren't an Ad company masquerading as a tech company.

MS is incorporating open source projects to its products, my gut feeling is that they infiltrate the code and then create a copyright/licensing/patent lock to destroy the projects in true MS style. Luckily there's still firefox/weazel.

Seems to be a good solution to people who want a Chrome based browser but maintain the Windows UX.

But like ALL Chromium based browsers, the bookmark handling is inferior to FF IMO. I just like a simple drop down button next to home. Seems impossible on Chrome.

Seems to be a good solution to people who want a Chrome based browser but maintain the Windows UX.

But like ALL Chromium based browsers, the bookmark handling is inferior to FF IMO. I just like a simple drop down button next to home. Seems impossible on Chrome.

There’s some small annoyances other than this that are nagging me a little. Like having a hard time switching the default search engine to something other than bing.

There’s some small annoyances other than this that are nagging me a little. Like having a hard time switching the default search engine to something other than bing.
Heh, so MS has 'improved' chromium by adding spyware and limiting user options.

Chromium is an open source project, different from Chrome.
Pretty shitty if this is considered open source. And the biggest reason why I will always choose Firefox over Chromium.

nxRW7na.jpg

So MS 'improved' it by removing ad block and few other userful features.

Along with features that are baked with telemetry and data mining functionality. Google Now, Link Doctor, Suggest, Google Cloud Storage, and Form Fill all are things google still includes in Chromium that they sell as features, but are still just methods of data harvesting.

Along with features that are baked with telemetry and data mining functionality. Google Now, Link Doctor, Suggest, Google Cloud Storage, and Form Fill all are things google still includes in Chromium that they sell as features, but are still just methods of data harvesting.
Microsoft removes them but adds its own counterparts, which is why Edge is larger than Chromium after all the stripping.

Pretty shitty if this is considered open source. And the biggest reason why I will always choose Firefox over Chromium.

View attachment 154956

How is that bad. So all their data collection tools are 100% open source. That is a good thing. Worried about what google is collecting... take a look at the code. It clear what they collect and what they don't as its open source.

So now MS has removed everything like geo location (which we know 100% if your running chromium and turn it off its really off cause the code for that function is right there in the open) Ditto things like speech input and all the other collection tools. Replacing them with all the same BS only closed source.... so perhaps when you say no thanks Edge will listen. Perhaps MS will only collect what they say they are collecting.... then again if they collect anything more who would know. lol

But at the end of the day this is what makes open source great. If MS wants to take googles open source code and re spin it... they are welcome to.

When are they planning on full-on replacing the bundled Win10 version of Edge with the Chromium version? The betas seem pretty far along already, but this is MS we're talking about.

I just hope they manage to make it fast and light like Edge.

and I'll echo what OP said about MS vs Google... I don't trust either of them in the slightest, they're both out to collect a dossier on all of our activities (and hardcore government collaborationists to boot), but at least we know what MS is because it's the same thing they've been since the 90s. There's somehow people who still think Google is benevolent and it blows my mind. I trust advertisers less than just about anyone, and I trust advertisers who make all their money from advertising while pretending to give away free stuff even less. MS is very direct; I use Bing, they track my shit, they give me rewards points per search, I redeem rewards points for Chipotle gift cards, the advertisers and three letter agencies get more input for their Big Data(tm) money pit time wasters, i get tacos, everyone wins. where are my damn tacos, Google? You want me to thank you for nothing?

Which without doubt will be inferior to the originals, as usual.
That's pure conjecture at this point.

Also, what does it matter? Everyone already replaces the built-in ad blocker with uBlock anyway (and that still works just the same on this new version of Edge). I'm not sure why you're making such a big deal about this...

I thought it was suppose to be released with Win 1903 guess it's still in the pipeline. Because Edge is still edge in the latest build.

I’ve been using the beta for almost two weeks. I like it. It’s fairly snappy. Haven’t had any real issues. Has worked with everything I have thrown at it.

I use a separate DNS server but in Chrome and Chromium Edge browser they now have this setting: 'Use secure DNS to specify how to lookup the network address for websites'

you can choose a service provider among a bunch of them like OpenDNS, NextDNS, Quad9 etc...but what's the difference between enabling this setting versus choosing a DNS Server in the OS Control Panel Network Settings?...do I need to enable both and do they need to be the same DNS server for both?

I had used this browser regularly right up until I found that I could not change the page that comes up when opening a new tab. (I wanted to be able to use the bing search from there anyways.) Now, it did not bother me until I found that I could not eliminate most of the page elements on that site and had stuff shoved in my face that I did not want. Now I just use Firefox all the time.

I had used this browser regularly right up until I found that I could not change the page that comes up when opening a new tab. (I wanted to be able to use the bing search from there anyways.) Now, it did not bother me until I found that I could not eliminate most of the page elements on that site and had stuff shoved in my face that I did not want. Now I just use Firefox all the time.
??
1606076216792.png

ManofGod

I'm also on the latest version. Being able to remove things from the new tab page has been there since the beta period.
1606080292075.png

Do they make it obvious or easy? Probably not. Did they move it? Yes. Is it the only settings menu for this? I don't remember, but I do think there is another "partial" menu somewhere.

1606080546126.png

Does MSFT keep on adding new things that I end up disabling? Oh, yeah. Did MSFT somehow take a cross platform browser and magically lost Linux support on the way (since regained in the Beta channel only, for x86 only)? Yes. In the end, just about every browser (especially the smaller ones) have a bit of "do things my way or leave" so I can easily understand personal browser choices. Just leaving this up here, incase if anyone wants to find the current location for the start page settings menu.

Though I have most of the common browsers installed, so I get to deal with all of the idiosyncrasies at once. I'm mostly happy that MSFT switched away from their ancient IE/Edge (Trident?) backend to something more compatible. Though that change happened after I stopped doing web work.

ManofGod

I'm also on the latest version. Being able to remove things from the new tab page has been there since the beta period.
View attachment 301948

Do they make it obvious or easy? Probably not. Did they move it? Yes. Is it the only settings menu for this? I don't remember, but I do think there is another "partial" menu somewhere.

View attachment 301953
Does MSFT keep on adding new things that I end up disabling? Oh, yeah. Did MSFT somehow take a cross platform browser and magically lost Linux support on the way (since regained in the Beta channel only, for x86 only)? Yes. In the end, just about every browser (especially the smaller ones) have a bit of "do things my way or leave" so I can easily understand personal browser choices. Just leaving this up here, incase if anyone wants to find the current location for the start page settings menu.

Though I have most of the common browsers installed, so I get to deal with all of the idiosyncrasies at once. I'm mostly happy that MSFT switched away from their ancient IE/Edge (Trident?) backend to something more compatible. Though that change happened after I stopped doing web work.

Yep, I used to be able to remove all the things I a referring to but, not anymore.

Edit: Well, what do you know, it appears they hid it or made it harder for me to fine, instead. Thanks for letting me know but, other than when I need to use Edge, I think I will just stick to Firefox.

I use it for Reddit. My Email, and Amazon, or anything else Firefox won't stay logged into.

I use it for Reddit. My Email, and Amazon, or anything else Firefox won't stay logged into.
You might ask yourself why the best browser on the market won't stay logged in. Chrome and MS Chrome are built for one purpose only - to spy on you.
And no, I'm not talking about spying what you actually do. You're just another 10 cents among the few million other suckers.

Internet users have become a commodity instead of consumers.

You might ask yourself why the best browser on the market won't stay logged in. Chrome and MS Chrome are built for one purpose only - to spy on you.
That sound much, they are also built to push some product on you no ?

Easier to propose gmail/google and so on if you have people use Chrome and people use to them have more chance to use the pro/paid version of the cloud storage, gmail with custom name and so on at their workplace.

That sound much, they are also built to push some product on you no ?

Easier to propose gmail/google and so on if you have people use Chrome and people use to them have more chance to use the pro/paid version of the cloud storage, gmail with custom name and so on at their workplace.
Yes there are several monetary reasons for their behaviour. Google is not a good guy anymore if it has ever been. And Microsoft... well we all know it's always been evil.
What's worrying, Apple has now joined their ranks, putting out blatanly offensive practises. The only way to go is linux now.

Yes there are several monetary reasons for their behaviour. Google is not a good guy anymore if it has ever been. And Microsoft... well we all know it's always been evil.
What's worrying, Apple has now joined their ranks, putting out blatanly offensive practises. The only way to go is linux now.
Not sure I would go with Evil to describe someone making for me a free webbrowser has a way to push their search engine, cloud office/storage on me.

It is worrying if Apple join them fully, it was nice to have a pay me upfront large money and I will not try to monetize you in hidden ways (you can buy song/movie/app on my platform if you want)

Not sure I would go with Evil to describe someone making for me a free webbrowser has a way to push their search engine, cloud office/storage on me.

It is worrying if Apple join them fully, it was nice to have a pay me upfront large money and I will not try to monetize you in hidden ways (you can buy song/movie/app on my platform if you want)
Heh, it's not free. It's making you use their infrastructure and see only the things they want you to see. Open your eyes. It's all about money and control.
Like Facebook. Do you think it's free? Have you read the EULA? You're giving all your private moments ownership to the corporation, to be used for big data and for advertising purposes. Everything you post to Facebook is owned by Facebook, not you.

Heh, it's not free. It's making you use their infrastructure and see only the things they want you to see. Open your eyes. It's all about money and control.
Do they want me to see this ? I currently do.

It is all over the place, you responding to me saying that developing a product has a good ads for other product to customer to see, that part, is not particularly evils.

A bit like making consoles at cost if not loosing money to push games and other products on the customer, is not particularly evils, being all about money would be very good thing (imagine how worst any other motive has a plan for a browser from a corporation would be...)

Like Facebook. Do you think it's free? Have you read the EULA? You're giving all your private moments ownership to the corporation, to be used for big data and for advertising purposes. Everything you post to Facebook is owned by Facebook, not you.
Yes I think it is monetery free to use (free here was use in the sense without cost or payment), all the problem that follow being a good part because it is free.

we should start charging for using their products for all their data mining!

Do they want me to see this ? I currently do.

It is all over the place, you responding to me saying that developing a product has a good ads for other product to customer to see, that part, is not particularly evils.

A bit like making consoles at cost if not loosing money to push games and other products on the customer, is not particularly evils, being all about money would be very good thing (imagine how worst any other motive has a plan for a browser from a corporation would be...)

Yes I think it is monetery free to use (free here was use in the sense without cost or payment), all the problem that follow being a good part because it is free.
Oh you didn't understand what I said. I said control what you see, not what ADS you see! For example if you're a Facebook user, you're subjected to a carefully tailored steram of (mis)information that Facebook chooses to send you. They censor away selectively anything that doesn't fit into their narrative.

Reactions: tived
like this
I started using this just because you can use themes from Google's Chrome. Regular Google Chrome was giving me some problems when I updated my GPU to a 3070 mainly eyestrain I think the theme I was using wasn't supported anymore.

Back