Microsoft is buying Bethesda, id, Arkane and more

As a business decision it makes sense.

Sure does. They just aquired several system selling franchises.

Also means all this should end up on game pass, which is good for me. I have no comaints here.

Wow, much bigger purchase than the rumor (that they repurchased Bungie).

Holy mackrel.

Smart moves from Microsoft. I'm waiting to see who does what next in the wake of this.

Last edited:
MS is just throwing money at this gen to win ain't they. At the rate they going they won't turn a profit lol. This gen is going to be very interesting to watch.

As long as they are still coming to PC at the same time as Xbox then I still have absolutely no reason to buy an Xbox.

why?????...
Why not? It is a good move for MS. They are going all in this gen. Honestly it only hurts Sony. That is their main competition. Now if they end in 3rd ace again this gen I can see them just shutting it all down.

Why not? It is a good move for MS. They are going all in this gen. Honestly it only hurts Sony. That is their main competition. Now if they end in 3rd ace again this gen I can see them just shutting it all down.

they're going to make all upcoming Fallout/Elder Scrolls games Xbox/PC exclusives?

As long as I can still get these games on Steam, (which given the recent MS/Steam climate seems likely SO FAR) then I don't have any issue with this at all. If they start doing some kind of MS Store exclusivity though, I'm not into it.

they're going to make all upcoming Fallout/Elder Scrolls games Xbox/PC exclusives?
I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Unless Bethesda had contracts in place before the buyout. Idk how far in advance these contracts could be in place. New FO/ES probably still years away.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Unless Bethesda had contracts in place before the buyout. Idk how far in advance these contracts could be in place. New FO/ES probably still years away.

MS will finally have some good exclusives...in the end no matter how powerful the hardware you need to have the exclusives that make it worth getting one console over the other and Sony has had that locked down for years now

MS will finally have some good exclusives...in the end no matter how powerful the hardware you need to have the exclusives that make it worth getting one console over the other and Sony has had that locked down for years now
No doubt. I have zero interest in the. I have gaming PC and PS4/5. That will cover 99% of what I am interested in.

Platforms will be decided on a case-by-case basis. Wouldn't be surprised to see ES and FO on other platforms. Maybe something like Doom or Starfield could be exclusive.

The next two games on Bethesda’s publishing calendar, Arkane Studios’ Deathloop and Tango Gameworks’ horror game Ghostwire: Tokyo, are timed PS5 exclusives...according to Jason Schreier, who first broke the Bethesda sale story, Phil Spencer has said that the PS5 deal for Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo will stand, and that exclusivity for future Bethesda games will be decided on a case-by-case basis...

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1308062702905044993

The next two games on Bethesda’s publishing calendar, Arkane Studios’ Deathloop and Tango Gameworks’ horror game Ghostwire: Tokyo, are timed PS5 exclusives...according to Jason Schreier, who first broke the Bethesda sale story, Phil Spencer has said that the PS5 deal for Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo will stand, and that exclusivity for future Bethesda games will be decided on a case-by-case basis...

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1308062702905044993
That just PR speak. 100% guarantee future games will be exclusives. They might throw Sony a bone with their lesser titles. I don't see MS spending this kind of money to have the major titles released on PS5.

Well, at least they will not be EGS exclusives. Though, it is possible every title from those studios going forward will be Xbox first, PC maybe next year if at all. So, hoping for the best.

Well, at least they will not be EGS exclusives. Though, it is possible every title from those studios going forward will be Xbox first, PC maybe next year if at all. So, hoping for the best.
So far I believe every Xbox console exclusive released within the past year or two has launched on PC at the same time. Don’t see this being any different.

That just PR speak. 100% guarantee future games will be exclusives. They might throw Sony a bone with their lesser titles. I don't see MS spending this kind of money to have the major titles released on PS5.

A couple days ago, Phil Spencer said MS isn’t going to solely rely on having big exclusives for their console. At this point, selling consoles seems like a secondary objective to the Xbox division. If they could use Bethesda games to get Game Streaming or Game Pass on Sony platforms, they would. Also, there is a shit ton of money to be made by allowing games like TES or Fallout to go to the PS5. 7.5B is a lot of money, but it’s barely a drop in the bucket for MS.

A couple days ago, Phil Spencer said MS isn’t going to solely rely on having big exclusives for their console. At this point, selling consoles seems like a secondary objective to the Xbox division. If they could use Bethesda games to get Game Streaming or Game Pass on Sony platforms, they would. Also, there is a shit ton of money to be made by allowing games like TES or Fallout to go to the PS5. 7.5B is a lot of money, but it’s barely a drop in the bucket for MS.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe hardware sales are only a small fraction of revenue generated compared to what is made on software sales.

Microsoft will 100% evaluate the value of releasing each of the big hitting titles as exclusives or not. They are in it for the money and if they can make several million more from software sales on the PS5 compared to how many people might buy an Xbox for the exclusive then they will go that route.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe hardware sales are only a small fraction of revenue generated compared to what is made on software sales.

Microsoft will 100% evaluate the value of releasing each of the big hitting titles as exclusives or not. They are in it for the money and if they can make several million more from software sales on the PS5 compared to how many people might buy an Xbox for the exclusive then they will go that route.
Nope. MS playing the long game and hoping to just knock Sony out the game. Being the sole console would bring in huge dump trucks of money and allow them to finally lock everything down. I am not saying this is MS plan but wouldn't surprise me.

Nope. MS playing the long game and hoping to just knock Sony out the game. Being the sole console would bring in huge dump trucks of money and allow them to finally lock everything down. I am not saying this is MS plan but wouldn't surprise me.
Microsoft definitely has a better grasp on reality than that. Buying ZeniMax won’t bring them anywhere close to “knock Sony out of the game.” Definitely makes them more competitive if they decide to keep all the titles they acquired exclusive, but MS is in the market to make money. Shareholders are going to want to see a return on investment sooner rather than later on that $7.5b deal. And the fastest way is by allowing the big hitters to remain multiplatform and raking in the cash from all the software sales. If Microsoft is smart they could even strong arm Sony into paying for those multiplatform games to arrive on their console. New IP I entirely anticipate to be exclusive. Will be interesting to see what exactly they’ll do.

why?????...

Because the "Microsoft has no exclusive" argument just got fucked.

I see this a good. MS has money, Zenimax has talent and great ips. Maybe we'll get an elder scrolls more than once a decade now.

Reactions: Parja
like this
I see this a good. MS has money, Zenimax has talent and great ips. Maybe we'll get an elder scrolls more than once a decade now.

do we really want Elder Scrolls/Fallout to follow the Call of Duty/Assassin's Creed yearly release schedule?...I like that we don't get those games every year or 2

do we really want Elder Scrolls/Fallout to follow the Call of Duty/Assassin's Creed yearly release schedule?...I like that we don't get those games every year or 2

Absolutely not.

Few are more critical than I about Ubisofts shitty annualization of its many once great franchises.

Based on what we've seen till now, we're looking at a 10-15 year gap between elder scrolls games. Surely you would agree there is a happy medium. I'm more than fine with a new tes every 5 years. Or something like a new Beth rpg every 2 to 3 years.

I don't think we'll see that. However, it's possible we'll see MS' other studios get a crack at the IPs. Bethesda's main development studio only works on one game at a time and they spend years working on that one title. We're obviously not getting another Bethesda Fallout until after both Starfield and TESVI. So, why not have inExile or Obsidian do a Fallout game? Or they could even contract an external studio to make a game in the franchise. There's a big difference between "once per generation" and "yearly release".

I don't think we'll see that. However, it's possible we'll see MS' other studios get a crack at the IPs. Bethesda's main development studio only works on one game at a time and they spend years working on that one title. We're obviously not getting another Bethesda Fallout until after both Starfield and TESVI. So, why not have inExile or Obsidian do a Fallout game? Or they could even contract an external studio to make a game in the franchise. There's a big difference between "once per generation" and "yearly release".

Yup, this is what I want. We already know Obsidian can handle Fallout better than Bethesda. Bringing them on board for another would be phenomenal. Likewise, getting Bethesda some outside help so that they can either get Starfield done a bit faster, or maybe free them up to work on both Starfiend and TES VI simultaneously. I don't think any of that would be imposing or sacrificial to Bethesda's goals/vision. That's a far cry from trying to push these into a yearly franchise, which I think MS is smart enough to not do.

I’m surprised they didn’t cook up a deal with Epic to throw a big FU at Apple at the same time they filled up their stable for Xbox and PC gaming.
Imagine MS owning Minecraft, and having an “enemy of my enemy” relationship with the makers of Fortnite.

Own the hearts and minds of the next generation, buy Roblox.

I don't know if this is a good thing, recent microsoft owned studios don't have a record of producing good titles, just worse rehashes of prior products.

Plus their storefront is an absolute atrocity on pc and they seem to have no desire to change that.

All their releases in the last year or so have been on Steam.

Yes, but that microsoft proclivity for half assing things then moving on leaving a bunch of half-broken, feature missing software (and hardware) in there wake doesn't instill a lot of hope.

Yes, but that microsoft proclivity for half assing things then moving on leaving a bunch of half-broken, feature missing software in there wake doesn't instill a lot of hope.

They have made pretty big strides lately to win back favor. I understand why people have a sour opinion of MS, but I genuinely believe they are moving in the right direction.

Back