Microsoft enables offline play for Windows 10 games

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Microsoft enables offline play for Windows 10 games.
Microsoft enables offline play for Windows 10 games | PC Gamer

Obviously, online features like buying stuff from in-game stores won't be available when you're offline, but the bit about "games with network co-op or multplayer features" not working while offline really isn't clear. We tested with Gears of War 4 and confirmed that the offline features like campaign and LAN multiplayer worked just fine when disconnected.

There are more caveats, though. You're limited to just one "designated offline device" at a time, and you can only change your designated offline device three times per year. Switching into offline mode isn't all that easy, either. First, you'll need to set your designated offline device:

• Make sure that you’re online.
  • Check that your device has the latest Windows updates: Go to Start, Settings, Update and security, and then Windows Update and see if any relevant updates are available.
  • Open the Store. You’ll be prompted to sign in if you haven’t already.
  • Select the Me icon (this is your profile picture).
  • Select Settings, and then under Offline Permissions, make sure that the toggle is set to On.
After that, you'll have to "prepare" your games by launching each one that you want to play offline while you're still online, and logging into your Xbox Live account. This is a bit like launching Steam into Offline mode while you still have an internet connection... but you'll have to prepare each individual Xbox game this way before going offline.

Microsoft enables offline play for Windows 10 games.
Should have been there day 1. Absolutely pathetic.

cageymaru said:
There are more caveats, though. You're limited to just one "designated offline device" at a time, and you can only change your designated offline device three times per year. Switching into offline mode isn't all that easy, either.
I can only change it 3 times a year? More ridiculous DRM bullshit. If I'm purchasing the game I should be able to play it on any computer I wish to play it on and not limit how many times I can do this. I could understand if I'm switching the device to play it on that they would need me to sign in somewhere to verify it's me that is playing the game.

3 times maybe generous as most people don't switch computers that often, however it is the principle of the issue.

It's funny to see developers add new features to games and services that people whine and complain about, then once they are added people will whine and cry that it wasn't fast enough or good enough anyways.

LOL, Microsoft thinks I am going to buy games from them after their GFWL fiasco? Think again Microsft! You and I are done.

Back